Repton 3 and Elite on a Master with TurboMMC

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exile

Related forum: adventures

Clem

Repton 3 and Elite on a Master with TurboMMC

Postby Clem » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:07 am

Hi All,

Having finally gotten my Master working properly I thought I would try out some of the games on the MMC card.

Mostly I met with success (chuckie egg, imogen and codename droid are still awesome and apparently I still know the tune to killer gorilla ...) but a few that I'd really like to play dont work :(

Repton 3 does the speech bit (classy stuff ...) but then drops to a cursor. I also tried the SSD from stairwaytohell database with same effect.

Elite doesnt do anything really (either version)

I read up the pdf included for fixing defender (though when i tried the fix it did not work ...) but frankly its beyond me, I was at primary school when I used a BBC so working with basic/assembler is not something I've ever done ...

So, are there working SSDs for Repton and Elite? or fixes for them?

Cheers

Clem

lurkio

Re: Repton 3 and Elite on a Master with TurboMMC

Postby lurkio » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:13 pm

Clem wrote:Having finally gotten my Master working properly I thought I would try out some of the games on the MMC card ... a few that I'd really like to play dont work :( Repton 3 does the speech bit (classy stuff ...) but then drops to a cursor. I also tried the SSD from stairwaytohell database with same effect. Elite doesnt do anything really (either version) ... So, are there working SSDs for Repton and Elite? or fixes for them?

I'm not with my TurboMMC or Master kit at the moment, so I can't check, but here are some other things to try:

An alternative BEEB.MMB file to put on your MMC card:

Alternative .SSDs from bbcmicro.co.uk:

MMFS, an alternative to the TurboMMC ROM. MMFS is compatible with the TurboMMC hardware:

A replacement for the TurboMMC hardware. It will let you use modern SD cards. (Needs MMFS.):

:idea:

sydney

Postby sydney » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:55 pm

I seem to remember elite not working properly from the games menu. Tube/Master elite is on Disc 45 so try the following:

Code: Select all

*DIN 45
*EXEC !BOOT

or

Code: Select all

*DIN 45
*M128ELT

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:27 pm

Elite will not work with this LOLprice device, as page needs to be at &E00 not 1900
As M128elt is */ at E00 .
So need MMFS master swram version.

Reptons also all work on my 33p GTI card :D
ImageImageImage

Clem

Postby Clem » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:39 pm

CMcDougall wrote:Elite will not work with this LOLprice device, as page needs to be at &E00 not 1900
As M128elt is */ at E00 .
So need MMFS master swram version.

Reptons also all work on my 33p GTI card :D

So I found a working repton on the BBC micro site. Thats one down.

Can confirm M128Elt dies after it draws a planet.

What is MMFS master swram version? Will I need to write the EEPROM to install it? That kind of faffing is exactly why I chose the TurboMMC over other cheaper options. I will live without Elite (I never played it the first time round as I was about 6/7!) if needed.

Return to “software: classic games”