How much did Cybertron Mission sell for when new?

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exile

Related forum: adventures

Commie_User

How much did Cybertron Mission sell for when new?

Postby Commie_User » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:53 pm

I'm just wondering at the prices of good games and blockbusters, like Elite also. I know Commodore games went for roughly £7.99 - 9.99 on tape, and about £14.99 on disk, for chart games which weren't especially deluxe.

How late did the £2 games come in for the BBC or Electron? I'm aware of Mastertronic doing it for the 64 around 1985 but I don't recall when the proper pocket money games came to the Acorn universe.

danielj

Re: How much did Cybertron Mission sell for when new?

Postby danielj » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:03 pm

PDFs full of adverts:
http://www.8bs.com/aumags.htm

paulb

Postby paulb » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:33 pm

From memory, waiting for me to be contradicted, I think that the Micro Power games of that era were £7.95. The Mastertronic games probably arrived on the Acorn machines around the time of their arrival on other machines, but the titles will have been different. Nearer the end of the commercially-viable 8-bit era, other companies sold titles that were previously full-price for £1.95 or so. I think Atlantis were one of those publishers, but a perusal of later magazines will confirm this and provide some other names. Of course, retailers were happily selling off such games at similar prices, anyway, but there were genuine re-releases: Stryker's Run even came out for the Electron, separately from any compilation, as one of these budget releases.

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:38 pm

... and there might have been a disc version, maybe for £9.95 (or more)?

Dave_E

Postby Dave_E » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:36 pm

Everygamegoing has accurate prices for everything BBC and Electron related.

MatthewThompson

Postby MatthewThompson » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:27 am

I paid £1.99 for my Electron copy in my local newsagents, they had all Micro Power titles (as did the local markets) and were always £1.99, maybe they became discounted later on ?

Commie_User

Postby Commie_User » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:52 pm

Ah, so those were the standard prices, then.

Thanks.

I had no idea Cybertron was also on the Commodore. I'll find a nice patch of time to sit and play that. Cybertron was on a BBC games disk we had at school but I was always rotten as keyboard control is rarely slick. Only when I played with a Sega joypad last year did I really get into it.

PitfallJones

Postby PitfallJones » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:57 pm

I didn't know this at the time but Cybertron was a ripoff of another C64 / Atari800 game called Shamus:

http://www.c64-wiki.com/wiki/Shamus

Shamusattack2.jpg

davidb

Postby davidb » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:46 pm

PitfallJones wrote:I didn't know this at the time but Cybertron was a ripoff of another C64 / Atari800 game called Shamus:

http://www.c64-wiki.com/wiki/Shamus

Indeed. This came up when mattbates joined the forums. :D

Commie_User

Postby Commie_User » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:46 pm

Well I can say I appreciate Cybertron as a slicker title.

I thought it was a Berzerk imitation. Think about it - the mazes, enemies, evil Otto, electric walls. The DYNAMICS of Cybertron make it close.

It's the same damn thing!

JoolsH

Postby JoolsH » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:02 pm

Our local computer shop sold the Micro Power games for £2.50 each between 1986 and 1992 or so. I bought almost all of the ones they had :)

Commie_User

Postby Commie_User » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:28 pm

If you're talking remaindered games, the early-mid Nineties was the goldmine age. The out of date games section of Toys R Us was my holy grail. £3.99 Hit Squad re-releases for the Commodore 64, plus the huge back catalogue of quality Atari 2600 games was somewhere I could have just lived in if I was allowed.

Along with the original Computer Cavern in Marlow, a gargantuan collection of the classics was just there for the (almost) taking!

Jeremy Grayson

Postby Jeremy Grayson » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:07 pm

MatthewThompson wrote:I paid £1.99 for my Electron copy in my local newsagents, they had all Micro Power titles (as did the local markets) and were always £1.99, maybe they became discounted later on ?

Certainly by the start of 1988, both Software Bargains (the software and hardware sales arm of Micropower, if I remember rightly? Do say if not) and Impact Software were selling all their remaining supplies of pre-Castle Quest, small-case cassette Micropower titles at £1.99.

Whether anyone else was doing so as a matter of routine before that, I'd have to check in magazine ads. I know that Speedysoft International were selling stacks of superannuated titles from many publishers at discounted prices long before Software Bargains and Impact, but whether all of the Micropower ones they were flogging were similarly reduced to £1.99 across the board is to be confirmed.

Software Bargains and Impact had a few publishers' worth of early titles at budget prices. Certainly the latter would sell you any IJK or Software Invasion Electron tapes it could find for £2.99 maximum and in most cases £1.99.

gc
* Inveterate but sadly increasingly occasional BBC gamer - original hardware/software only
* Former contributor (original software and some editorial) to The BBC Games Archive
* Exhibitor at CG-Expo 2004, 2005
* Elite ranking: milquetoast

Return to “software: classic games”