Dunjunz compatibility matrix

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exile

Related forum: adventures

lurkio

Dunjunz compatibility matrix

Postby lurkio » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:38 pm

I've been trying to work out what configurations of hardware or emulators are capable of running the disc versions of Dunjunz for the Beeb (because it seemed to be a bit of a mystery).

Here's what I've come up with:

1.png
Compatibility matrix for disc versions of Dunjunz for the Model B/Master

(A slash "/" means SUCCESS, and an X means FAILURE.)

Please let me know if you have any comments or corrections.

Here are the versions of Dunjunz that I used:

• The original(?) disc version of Dunjunz as it appears on Mick's Disc No. 60 and on bbcmicro.co.uk.

• This version requires two banks of Sideways RAM to be available for the game to load Level data into.

• The later(?) Master-compatible release of Dunjunz as it appears on STH, comprising two .SSDs, which need to be swapped during loading. (The original release was a "flippy disc".)

• A version, derived from the above, that fits onto a single .SSD for the Model B.

Play online in JSBeeb: Disable all characters except the Fighter (controlled with G,B,U,I) and navigate to the far southeastern corner of the map to go to Level 2.
    • A version, derived from the above, that fits onto a single .SSD for the Master with MOS 3.20. (Some levels are missing from this version.)

Play online in JSBeeb: Disable all characters except the Barbarian (controlled with G,B,N,M) and navigate to the far southeastern corner of the map to go to Level 2.

The real BBC Micro on which I tested the software was a Model B with IFEL ROM/RAM board, with 8 banks of Sideways RAM and 8 banks of Flash ROM (which happened to have IFEL ROM FS files permanently in slots 2 & 3). For the “No SWRAM” tests, I disabled the SWRAM by removing the "RWP" link (which perhaps isn’t a perfect method because I never saw the "Can't find SWRAM" error when running Mick’s version of the game, which I should have been seeing at that point!). ROMs were *KILLed when necessary with the ARM1.13 ROM in slot 15 (highest). Also installed (and *KILLed when appropriate) were the ROM-images for DNFS, MMFS, and DataCentre RamFS.

The Master I used was a Master 128 with IFEL MultiOS in MOS 3.20 mode, with all unnecessary FS ROMs and other ROMs *UNPLUGged as appropriate for each test. (The STH version of the game seems to hang after Level 1 when run on MOS 3.50, so I think it's fair to say it's only compatible with MOS 3.20.)

There's no such thing as a "flippy .SSD", so in order to test Dunjunz in JSBeeb, or on a DataCentre with RamFS, or on an SD card with MMFS, I had to modify the STH Master-compatible edition of the game so that it would fit on a single .SSD for the Model B. I then made a similar modification for the Master, and the resultant Master version also fits on a single .SSD. (But because of the limit on the size of a DFS disc catalogue, some of the higher Level files are missing from this modified Master version.)

Please let me know if you have any comments or corrections.

:?:

Return to “software: classic games”