Making Of Citadel in Retro Gamer Magazine

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exile

Related forum: adventures

RichP

Making Of Citadel in Retro Gamer Magazine

Postby RichP » Sat May 26, 2012 6:22 pm

There's a 'Making Of Citadel' (BBC) in Retro Gamer Magazine this month, just bought it from Wh Smiths :) havent read it yet because only just got home but it's 4 pages and they talk to Michael Jakobson, worth picking up if you are interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M44s4qa8760
(skip to 4:04 in this video to see the article)

richardtoohey

Re: Making Of Citadel in Retro Gamer Magazine

Postby richardtoohey » Sun May 27, 2012 3:36 am

Thanks for posting this.

I'm going to see how I manage to read a magazine on an iPod Touch ... I think there's going to be a LOT of scrolling! And possibly cursing! :lol:

nOmArch

Postby nOmArch » Sun May 27, 2012 10:27 am

Where did you acquire the e-version?

edit: ahh found it.
Alex

Back up to 1 Beeb again. \o/

RichP

Postby RichP » Sun May 27, 2012 2:39 pm

no problem for posting. I have read the article now, very interesting to read the way he (Michael Jakobson) stored the map in memory, and other technical details. and it was good that they also have a brief talk with the programmer behind Citadel 2 as well. Although I think they got the number of locations in Citadel wrong, they say 240 locations in that article. i'm sure it was much less than that? maybe it was 140?

My only criticism is that there is not so much talk about the creative process behind the design of the locations, and how he chose what monsters to put in etc. When they have covered for example Jet Set Willy and similar games in the past there have always been a lot of questions about the design and meanning of individual rooms and why certain monsters/enemies were put in. Just a minor point though, really nice to see Citadel finally covered in that mag! :)

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Sun May 27, 2012 8:00 pm

Amazing what some people achieved in their teens ... I was writing 10 PRINT "HELLO":GOTO 10 (and looking at girls ... but not at the same time!) but other people managed things like Citadel!

Interesting article (as you say, could have been a bit beefier) - but made me want to try out his earlier work (Crypt Capers) and also some of the games inspired by it (I missed those BITD, I had moved onto an Atari ST by 1988-ish.)

My eyeballs are only bleeding slightly from trying to read it on the small iPod screen ... definitely doable, especially because the magazine columns usually fit a screenwidth ... but I think I'll prefer the dead tree versions for a bit longer!

MatthewThompson

Postby MatthewThompson » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:07 pm

Just finished reading this article (a bit late) and it mentions games inspired by Citadel, and says "The Thunderstuck Trilogy" - was there a Thunderstruck 3 then ? I don't rememeber one, did I miss something, or is there an 3rd game?

ivor_the_injun

Postby ivor_the_injun » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:39 pm

It's Omega Orb, isn't it?

RichP

Postby RichP » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:13 pm

i made a dodgy-looking platform game inspired by Citadel :D

MatthewThompson

Postby MatthewThompson » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:51 am

ivor_the_injun wrote:It's Omega Orb, isn't it?

That was my first thought, maybe it was originally going to be Thunderstuck 3 but then got changed into a different game.

Return to “software: classic games”