Dragonsoft Explorer

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exile

Related forum: adventures

lurkio

Re: Dragonsoft Explorer

Postby lurkio » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:30 pm

CMcDougall wrote:^if in emulator, need to load Play disc in drive 0 & Save disc in Dr1 ... also unprotect both discs...... 8)

Yep, I did all of that. The game does still load and run, but I was just thrown a bit by that error, which I get every time.

:?:

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:56 pm

^ works for 131 other peeps ....

try reading this bit again:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=598#p27153

was using beeb only (NOT stupid M128 etc) & FDC1770 DFS2.26 and also the ROM image loaded in.... 8)

EDIT.. below with it done:

EDIT2: also per my instructions, the rom image has to be write protected , or the command *CROM will not work, hence the 'not found' when it looks on the disc for it...
Attachments
DragonSoftExplorer.zip
SSDs 40T
(84.18 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
ImageImageImage

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:48 pm

CMcDougall wrote:try reading this bit again: http://stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=598#p27153 was using beeb only (NOT stupid M128 etc) & FDC1770 DFS2.26 and also the ROM image loaded in.... 8) EDIT.. below with it done: ... EDIT2: also per my instructions, the rom image has to be write protected , or the command *CROM will not work, hence the 'not found' when it looks on the disc for it...

Thanks. I've now got the game loading and running in BeebEm in Model B mode with 8271 FDC and DFS 1.20 with the ROM-image pre-loaded via the config settings, with the ROM slot write-protected. The game seems to run even if both disc-drives are write-protected too.

If I unprotect the ROM-slot that the Dragonsoft Explorer ROM is in in BeebEm, then the game fails to run (i.e. you can't get past the menu screen): this could be a form of copy-protection, and it might also be the reason why the game won't run in the latest version of JSBeeb at all -- because I don't think you can have a write-protected Sideways ROM slot in JSBeeb:

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:24 pm

the write protection off on save disc will allow high score saving, if beeb turned off at wrong time save gets corrupt, hence the reset is needed to get game working again, prob why MIA as folk thought discs are popped, like I thought before finding the reset file :D
ImageImageImage

leenew

Postby leenew » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:38 am

Maybe one of our gurus could look at the game and remove the protection that is checking the ROM and preventing the game from running from non write-protected SWR.
I think Beebem breakpoints are used, but I have no idea how to use them!!
A self contained DSD of this game that loads and runs easily with a shift-break would be great [-o<

Lee.

vanekp

Postby vanekp » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:09 pm

seems there are two places you need to change things one in the rom itself and the other one in the code..... but I have yet to find where its hidden in the code I can find it in ram but must come from an encrypted file as i cant find the places on disc.
in Rom
Dragonsoft.png

Need to remove (NOP) the STA &9009 and STA &9164 at &8197 and &819C
in Ram
Dragonsoft1.png

remove the two statements STA &8000 and STA &8001 at &2B2D and &2B32
Have to do more digging to find out where this code comes from.
Peter.

vanekp

Postby vanekp » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:46 pm

Here is a attached file which is rom/ram safe and will now run if a writable rom/ram slot is used for the rom image.
Will look to see if it will run as a DSD as it may want the safe disc in drive 1 and not drive 2.
Peter.
Forgot to mention the file ROM on the ROM disc is the modified ROM file.
Attachments
DragonSoftExplorer_RomSafe.zip
(84.24 KiB) Downloaded 4 times

vanekp

Postby vanekp » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:19 pm

Here is one with the ROM on the play disc and auto loads on boot, searches for ram starting at bank 0, then continues to load the normal boot loader.
Attachments
DragonSoftExplorer_RomSafe.zip
(85.37 KiB) Downloaded 4 times

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:32 pm

vanekp wrote:Here is one with the ROM on the play disc and auto loads on boot, searches for ram starting at bank 0, then continues to load the normal boot loader.

This is great, thanks! Seems to work well in (Mac) BeebEm. Doesn't work in JSBeeb though:

Is it because the second disc needs to be writeable? I suspect not, because the disc-images don't need to be writeable for the game to work in BeebEm.

vanekp

Postby vanekp » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:36 pm

did not give it a try there only in BeebEm.
Problem is it game needs both discs and i have no idea how you would mount the save disk in drive 1.
O the link you gave loads both but looks like it stops when it starts running the code which uses all &7f Osword calls to load data and not sure how well JsBeeb implements that.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:00 pm

vanekp wrote:did not give it a try there only in BeebEm. Problem is it game needs both discs and i have no idea how you would mount the save disk in drive 1. O the link you gave loads both but looks like it stops when it starts running the code which uses all &7f Osword calls to load data and not sure how well JsBeeb implements that.

Updated the JSBeeb bug report:

:arrow:

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:11 pm

lurkio wrote:Is it because the second disc needs to be writeable? I suspect not, because the disc-images don't need to be writeable for the game to work in BeebEm:

it needs to be unprotected /write able so the high score table can save, hence when I got it had to reset it to get it to go!
ImageImageImage

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:53 pm

CMcDougall wrote:
lurkio wrote:Is it because the second disc needs to be writeable? I suspect not, because the disc-images don't need to be writeable for the game to work in BeebEm:

it needs to be unprotected /write able so the high score table can save, hence when I got it had to reset it to get it to go!

Peter's hacked version doesn't seem to need either of the discs to be writeable for you to be able to boot up and start playing the game:

vanekp

Postby vanekp » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:02 pm

I suspect it will complain when you game ends as that is probably when it wants to write it away, but the game does not even get to the loading screen it hangs after choosing D for double drives. so suspect it crashes on &7f Osword calls I saw all over the place in the code.
Peter.

Return to “software: classic games”