Favourite/best games list

reminisce about bbc micro & electron games like chuckie egg, repton, elite & exile

Related forum: adventures

trixster

Re: Favourite/best games list

Postby trixster » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:41 pm

1. Elite
2. Exile
3. Revs
4. The Sentinel
5. Chuckie Egg
6. Citadel
7. Football Manager
8. Swoop
9. Thrust
10. Starship Command
A3020 | A3000 | BBC B + 128K RAM/ROM + 20K Shadow + Pi0 + VideoNuLA
BBC Master Turbo + DC | Atom | A1200 060 | A500 | Jaguar | A420/1
A4000/040 060 | Atari Falcon 060 | Saturn | PS1 | SNES | CPC6128 | C64 | 3DO | MD

Lardo Boffin

Postby Lardo Boffin » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:10 pm

I struggled to get 10! I spent more time learning to program than anything else.

1 Elite
2 Chuckie Egg
3 Twin Kingdom Valley
4 Sabre Wulf
5 Thrust
6 Ghouls
7 Planetoid
8 Zalaga
9 Castlequest
10 Starship Command
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Retroclinic Datacentre + HDD, matchbox co-proc, Viglen twin 40/80 5.25" discs, acorn cassette
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc, Acorn 6502 coproc

sydney

Postby sydney » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:56 pm

47 votes - 147 games in total. Here is the top 100:

top100.png

KarateEd

Postby KarateEd » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:51 pm

Somehow I missed this thread....

Here are my top 10....

1 - Elite (wasted a lot of life playing this)
2 - Revs (still pretty good at it)
3 - Aviator (hours and hours on it)
4 - Mr. Ee (more hours of life wasted)
5 - Chuckie Egg (same here)
6 - Ghouls (used to love the pixel perfect play of this, still do)
7 - Fortress (thought this was a cool rendition of 3D back in the day, tough but fun)
8 - Zalaga (nothing like a great shoot em up)
9 - Thrust (this became a fav for me during the competitions)
10 - DeathStar (another I liked on arcade machines but only got to play this during the competitions)

Best I can do for this one.

Ed...... :-)

John_Acorn

Postby John_Acorn » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:05 am

How can EType not be on that list.

barbarossa69

Postby barbarossa69 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:19 am

Dunno if I can remember, although looking through the game archive has stirred up some memories...

1. Ravenskull (Superior)
2. Repton - all versions (Superior)
3. Pharaoh's Curse (H-Soft)
4. Codename: Droid (Superior)
5. Palace of Magic (Superior)
6. Labyrinth (Acornsoft)
7. Arkanoid (Imagine)
8. Commando (Elite)
9. Microball (Alternative)
10. Maze (Acornsoft)

martinbaker

Postby martinbaker » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:12 pm

Have to think a bit about this one. There are games I have fond memories of, and there are games I would still play today. For example, Magic Mushrooms: loved it as a kid, but last time I looked at it I couldn't stand the controls at all. I'll try to post games I can still enjoy...

The Sentinel

I *love* this game. Far and away my favourite game on the BBC. Find it funny how many people seem to hate it though, or don't understand it as it's not a particularly complex game. I bought the sequel Psygnosis put out in 1998 too but it wasn't as good, mainly because it was too fast paced which killed the tension. I like the minimalist geometric look of the original, just the whole package has this unique atmosphere to it that I've never really felt in any other game since.

Acornsoft Maze

A simple game implemented particularly well, like most Acornsoft releases it had that polish to it. I used to be terrified of those robots as a child lol. And that DUH-duh-duh sound effect as they got closer, classic. Like The Sentinel I loved it in large part for its tension and atmosphere. Not the deepest game but good to pick up for a few minutes.

Labyrinth

Well polished, good difficulty curve. A lot of games were difficult in part due to sloppy programming, or else had an impossible learning curve. Acornsoft usually seemed to avoid either of those flaws. Plus the graphics on this were particularly nice.

Repton

The original is my favourite, Repton 2 is definitely my least favourite, and Repton 3 I spent more time with growing up because of its editor but all-in-all the first is best in my opinion. I feel it has the best level design out of all of them.

Thrust

Pretty sure everyone here knows what this is. Just a really well polished game, it's the feeling of the game physics which make the game. Pretty much does what it does perfectly.

Cholo

I never really got very far in this game, but I used to just like exploring the world. One of these days I'll revisit it and try and actually get somewhere in it.

Some other games I have fond memories of: Thunderstruck, Crypt Capers, Future Shock, Dare Devil Dennis.

There was this space themed strategy type game I used to play a lot as a kid, was green screen, can't for the life of me remember what it's called. I think there was a Mode 7 graphic of a spaceship on the loading screen, realize that's not much of a description. Would love to know what that game was.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:43 pm

martinbaker wrote:There was this space themed strategy type game I used to play a lot as a kid, was green screen, can't for the life of me remember what it's called. I think there was a Mode 7 graphic of a spaceship on the loading screen, realize that's not much of a description. Would love to know what that game was.

Is it this one, Galactic Empire?:

:?:

Commodore

Postby Commodore » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:21 pm

I remember a really basic but fun game I used to play on the Beebs at school.
There was cannon on each side of a hill (which was in the middle of the screen).
I recall having to adjust the angle of the cannon to hit the cannon the other side.
I can't really remember how it was played, and I certainly can't remember what it was called.

Any ideas?

Our Computer Studies teacher said that this was one of the early uses of Computers, to work out ranges of artillery to enemy positions.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:28 pm

Commodore wrote:I remember a really basic but fun game I used to play on the Beebs at school. There was cannon on each side of a hill (which was in the middle of the screen). I recall having to adjust the angle of the cannon to hit the cannon the other side.
I can't really remember how it was played, and I certainly can't remember what it was called.

Catacastles?:

Commodore

Postby Commodore » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:55 pm

Good suggestion Lurkio, but not it.

If it helps, what I recall was a big hill in the middle, which filled most of the height of the screen, and an artillery gun either side.
No castle involved. For all I know it may have even been a computer project or a type in.

sydney

Postby sydney » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:18 pm

Commodore wrote:Good suggestion Lurkio, but not it.

If it helps, what I recall was a big hill in the middle, which filled most of the height of the screen, and an artillery gun either side.
No castle involved. For all I know it may have even been a computer project or a type in.

Barrage?
http://www.bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=1873

Commodore

Postby Commodore » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:25 pm

Well played Sydney, thanks!

That's the one, for sure! I have only ever seen it on a green screen though.

BigEd

Postby BigEd » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:29 pm

I do love the way this community can answer questions like that!

Commodore

Postby Commodore » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:31 pm

It's literally amazing, especially from the description I gave.

Also, even more amazing that anybody else ever played it I should think!

I'll definitely give it a go though, for old time's sake.

leenew

Postby leenew » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:51 pm

I think I remember a computer lesson that involved programming the beeb to draw a sine wave or an arc of some kind.
I expanded the task to make it into a variation of this game. (If my memory serves me, I called it "Splat Pig" :lol: )
I expect loads of kids who had this lesson did the same :D

Lee.

sydney

Postby sydney » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:20 pm

I thought I had this on a Beau Jolly 10 game compilation but looking at everygamegoing.com it seems I'm wrong. It was definitely on a compilation and it was a BBC compilation as I had an elk and Barrage was one of the few games that worked on it. Loved playing it with my dad and it surely must be one of the inspirations for games like Worms on the amiga.

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:37 pm

It was on Micropower Magic vol 1?
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk

ABug NORTH (Manchester) (19-21 January 2018)
ABug SOUTH (Hampshire) (1-3 June 2018)

martinbaker

Postby martinbaker » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:47 pm

lurkio wrote:
martinbaker wrote:There was this space themed strategy type game I used to play a lot as a kid, was green screen, can't for the life of me remember what it's called. I think there was a Mode 7 graphic of a spaceship on the loading screen, realize that's not much of a description. Would love to know what that game was.

Is it this one, Galactic Empire?:

No it was a different one. IIRC it was a Mode 1 green monochrome graphical game, only the loading screen was Mode 7. I remember finding it funny how it gave descriptions of certain planets / star systems or whatever as "revolting." I would have probably last seen this game 25 years ago, can't remember much more.

Commodore

Postby Commodore » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:59 pm

leenew wrote:I think I remember a computer lesson that involved programming the beeb to draw a sine wave or an arc of some kind.
I expanded the task to make it into a variation of this game. (If my memory serves me, I called it "Splat Pig" :lol: )
I expect loads of kids who had this lesson did the same :D

Lee.

The one I played may have been written via a similar route as yours, but it looked substantially like Barrage through the mists of 35 years or so.

helpful

Postby helpful » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:32 pm

sydney wrote:
Commodore wrote:If it helps, what I recall was a big hill in the middle, which filled most of the height of the screen, and an artillery gun either side.

Barrage?

Funny coincidence, was having a chat with an old school friend last night and he mentioned Barrage as one of his favourite games that we used to play together!

Still works fine on RISC OS as it is written in BASIC. I have it on the Raspberry Pi that I take to jams for kids to play with :-)

BTW, that download page describes it as single player game, which is obviously wrong.

Bryan.
RISC OS User Group Of London - http://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/
RISC OS London Show - http://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/

leenew

Postby leenew » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:21 pm

Fixed! :D
Lee.

Commodore

Postby Commodore » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:06 pm

helpful wrote:
sydney wrote:
Commodore wrote:If it helps, what I recall was a big hill in the middle, which filled most of the height of the screen, and an artillery gun either side.

Barrage?

Funny coincidence, was having a chat with an old school friend last night and he mentioned Barrage as one of his favourite games that we used to play together!

Still works fine on RISC OS as it is written in BASIC. I have it on the Raspberry Pi that I take to jams for kids to play with :-)

BTW, that download page describes it as single player game, which is obviously wrong.

Bryan.

It's funny how the simplest games can be such fun. I think being a VIC 20 owner taught me that. I don't think the C64 lot would get it quite so much. :)

hicks

Postby hicks » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:54 am

I've forgotten most of the games I played on the Electron (we didn't have that many). However a few did stick in my head:

1. Elite
2. Repton
3. Chuckie Egg
4. Sphinx Adventure
5. Monsters

I'm sure there were others, but Elite was so groundbreaking to me that I spent the vast majority of my time on the Electron playing it. It wasn't until I was bought a C128 and later Amiga that I can remember enough for a top 10 :)

edit: remembered one more, monsters.

Return to “software: classic games”