Elite Dangerous

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
vanpeebles

Elite Dangerous

Postby vanpeebles » Fri May 19, 2017 10:03 am

Do we have any Elite Dangerous players here? I've been getting into the xbox one version in a big way lately.

There's a piccy of my well explored Asp.
Last edited by vanpeebles on Fri May 19, 2017 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jonb

Re: Elite Dangerous

Postby jonb » Fri May 19, 2017 1:47 pm

Yep.

But I stopped playing because ultimately it became very boring. "The Grind", and all that...

The last time I tried it, I was waiting 20 minutes for the station menu to come up.

I do hope your experience is better than that, VP!

Cheers
JonB

vanpeebles

Postby vanpeebles » Fri May 19, 2017 2:18 pm

There can be an element of grind too it. At the moment I've been doing loads of exploring plus passenger trips.

Zarchos

Postby Zarchos » Fri May 19, 2017 4:01 pm

Is it as huge and entertaining as most people say or not ?

vanpeebles

Postby vanpeebles » Fri May 19, 2017 5:37 pm

I'm enjoying it, I think it's a worthy take on the original :)

paulv

Postby paulv » Fri May 19, 2017 10:59 pm

I was a backer on Kickstarter but only started playing it finally about 10 weeks ago. At the moment I'm about 8k Ly out on my way to the Formadine rift and have been exploring for most of my time.

I'm loving it but can see how it could become boring after a while unless you mix it up a lot with PvP, PvE etc. My attempts at doing Multi-crew have been mixed.... I joined an Anaconda on an exploration mission and the game saw fit to place me in the gunners position. Not really great when the ship is fitted out for exploration and there's *no-one* to shoot. You become a sightseer on someone else's ship. That does get a tad boring.

Screenshot_0032.jpg

Paul

Zarchos

Postby Zarchos » Fri May 19, 2017 11:04 pm

PvP PvE what is it ?

vanpeebles

Postby vanpeebles » Sat May 20, 2017 6:45 am

Player vs Player or Player vs Environment

JonC

Postby JonC » Sun May 21, 2017 6:32 pm

It is a bit of a Grind, but then so was the original... :)

I play for a few weeks and then do a bit of Mass Effect, when I'm not playing something from my MGC of course!
Jon

Zarchos

Postby Zarchos » Sun May 21, 2017 6:38 pm

MGC ?
I'm lost with acronyms, must be too old ;-(

JonC

Postby JonC » Sun May 21, 2017 7:13 pm

Zarchos wrote:MGC ?

Mega Games Cartridge for my Elk of course! :lol:
Jon

Zarchos

Postby Zarchos » Mon May 22, 2017 8:05 am

JonC wrote:
Zarchos wrote:MGC ?

Mega Games Cartridge for my Elk of course! :lol:

ROTFL !

HannahBK

Postby HannahBK » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:08 pm

I was really hyped for the "Alien encounter" update, sadly it turned out to be not as interesting as I initially thought... The graphics are amazing tho!

vanpeebles

Postby vanpeebles » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:53 pm

I'd best do some more updates! I had an Anaconda for a while but didn't like it :( Massive running costs and very sluggish.

I decided I try out the massive type 9 cargo hauler and see how I got on with that. The cockpit is ace, and has its own ladders and gantries!Image

I still have my trusty Asp Explorer which is nearly up to 49ly jump range.Image

Also explored the odd baseImage

Dethmunk

Postby Dethmunk » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:15 pm

I'm Cmdr Dethmunk. Although I usually play solo. I haven't been playing for a while.... I blame my Nintendo Switch. :wink:
Permits include:
Founders World and SOL.
Allegiances: Alliance

My Holo-me:

I only have a few ships... my fave is the Hammerfist a Cobra Mark IV. Independant trader (and runner of Rares).

gonzoxl5

Postby gonzoxl5 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:50 pm

Commander Gommster, normally playing in the Mobius PVE european private group (can't remember the name of it right now).

Spent some time out of the bubble in an ASP but am now based out of Deciat running passenger missions in my Orca, the Interstellar Queen.

Also have a nice fast imperial eagle for when I just want to be silly.

Looking forward to what they do with 2.4

lazarusr

Postby lazarusr » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:39 pm

Could someone who has the game please post a screenshot of the pilot's keyboard. Thanks.

paulv

Postby paulv » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:56 am

My AspX doesn't have a keyboard at all but here's a closeup I took (much) earlier...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

In fact, someone used my photo to post a comparison of the Elite keyboard side by side in the past...

Paul

lazarusr

Postby lazarusr » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:24 pm

Beautiful.

EdwardianDuck

Postby EdwardianDuck » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:13 pm

Probably slightly off topic, for which I apologise in advance, but just in case anyone who plays Elite Dangerous is interested, here is a link to the Elite : Escape Velocity audio drama which is set in the game universe. While I don't play Elite Dangerous myself, I did enjoy the audio drama. Three series so far with a 4th planned.

http://laveradio.com/EscapeVelocity/

Jeremy
Master 128 + RetroClinic DataCentre + Internal Pi Zero Coprocessor, MiST

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:08 am

A bit late to this thread, but I play it most weeks and have done since the first beta. Playing on your own isnt much fun, there's little to do but grind credits, explore a lot of beige worlds or go give some pirates what-for.

I found playing in Open can sometimes be painful as real player pirates can be rather ruthless, so there's PvE groups such as Mobius that I use, so you know it's only NPC's targeting you. Death can be harsh, particularly early on as you run the risk of losing everything and ending up back in the starting Sidewinder, so never buy a ship unless you have at least twice the buy cost, so you have the rebuy insurance cost covered.

Wing up with some friends and plonk your headphones/mic on and it becomes a lot more fun, my son and I had a great weekend recently doing the Ancients mission, exploring ancient ruins in our SRV's (buggies) scanning them for historic data and we quite often wing up for combat community goals to make some easy money. The game is also much improved with an Occulus Rift, you get a real feel for the vastness of everything and combat gets a bit easier as you can look around to track your target when dogfighting with flight assist turned off.

With the Thargoids now in-game, winging is essential if you want to get some payback for 1984. The community goals to make the Anti-Thargoid weapons/scanners available to players are currently running, so I've been shifting tens of thousands of tons of cargo to help the effort to unlock them for the past week or so.

If you fancy a wing-up, PM me your commander name and I'll send you a "fwiend" request.

crj

Postby crj » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:10 pm

JonC wrote:It is a bit of a Grind, but then so was the original... :)

Yeah, but at least once you got good at Elite you could get the grind over fairly quickly. I settled into a routine: buy Computers and Machinery at a high-tech industrial corporate state, launch, attack space station, kill vipers until the going got tough, hyperspace to low-tech agricultural anarchy, kill everything in sight until I got a Right On Commander, dock, sell, buy Food and Textiles, launch, attack space station, kill vipers, hyperspace back, dock. You only have to do that fifteen times to get from Deadly to Elite.

I just got a couple of Right On Commanders each evening after homework; I was done in a fortnight. (-8

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:42 pm

crj wrote:I was done in a fortnight. (-8

Previously it was kill count, now it's based on the difference between your Combat grade and the kill Combat grade. With plenty of Community Goals involving combat, combat areas in Conflict Zones and Compromised Nav Beacons, its fairly easy to specifically target small Elite rank ships and ignore the rest. I believe its now possible achieve Elite within a week if you did nothing else.

Of course, there's now three Pilots Federation ranks to rank to Elite; Combat, Exploration and Trading. Trading is the tedious one if you don't first rank up with the Empire so you have access to the Imperial Cutter, which can hold 792 tonnes. Exploration can be fast tracked by taking tourists around to galaxy to visit Tourist Beacons.

Pablos544

Postby Pablos544 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:56 am

Those images look amazing I was just wondering what kind of a monster PC you need to run these at anywhere near fairly respectable frame rate!!! :lol: -pablo

vanpeebles

Postby vanpeebles » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:03 am

The ones I posted are just from the Xbox One version :)

Pablos544

Postby Pablos544 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:02 pm

Safe to say I probably wouldn't be able to run it on my comparatively modest Core 2 Duo 2.93GHz

i just Googled Xbox One specs
"Xbox One is powered by an AMD "Jaguar" Accelerated Processing Unit (APU) with two quad-core modules totaling eight x86-64 cores clocked at 1.75 GHz, and 8 GB of DDR3 RAM with a memory bandwidth of 68.3 GB/s." :|

vanpeebles

Postby vanpeebles » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:32 pm

It would probably go phoot! and some smoke would come out (like an elderly beeb PSU) :lol:

paulv

Postby paulv » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:03 pm

Pablos544 wrote:Those images look amazing I was just wondering what kind of a monster PC you need to run these at anywhere near fairly respectable frame rate!!! :lol: -pablo

I run it on my almost 4 year old laptop...

WP_20170408_20_18_14_Pro.jpg

Paul

Pablos544

Postby Pablos544 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:41 am

paulv wrote:
Pablos544 wrote:Those images look amazing I was just wondering what kind of a monster PC you need to run these at anywhere near fairly respectable frame rate!!! :lol: -pablo

I run it on my almost 4 year old laptop...

WP_20170408_20_18_14_Pro.jpg

Paul

that's awesome Paul!!!! :P :P

vanpeebles

Postby vanpeebles » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:04 am

Well I'm moving from the xbox one and back to the PC one where I started with the beta. I'm not impressed by how the PC version runs, something not quite right in my setup. Seems prone to a loading stutter which settles down after a minute or so.

I forgot that I got access to the rare Cobra IV, so I'm giving that a test out.

Return to “off-topic”