online study?

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
northernbob

online study?

Postby northernbob » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:40 am

back in the 90s i tried to do an ou science course and hated it, gave up after 3 months. found i needed some social interaction.

However recently ive been loooking to go back to study, and after some searching ive seen a course i fancy.

https://www.conted.ox.ac.uk/about/advan ... s-analysis

its a wee bit vague on the contents, but on the face of it, looks worthwhile?

Never studied online before, anyone else tried it? good and bad to it i guess.

Only have an HND atmo, so this will sit on top of that, not enough for full degree, but guess i can keep patching things on :)

thoughts?

martinw

Re: online study?

Postby martinw » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:46 pm

I did an MSc in Computer Science (distance learning from America and then the UK) at the University of Hertfordshire, it was very good :)

Martin

Pernod

Postby Pernod » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:03 pm

martinw wrote:I did an MSc in Computer Science (distance learning from America and then the UK) at the University of Hertfordshire

I have a BSc in Computing Mathematics from there, though it was Hatfield Polytechnic when I started.
- Nigel

BBC Model B, ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, etc.

martinw

Postby martinw » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:06 pm

Pernod wrote:
martinw wrote:I did an MSc in Computer Science (distance learning from America and then the UK) at the University of Hertfordshire

I have a BSc in Computing Mathematics from there, though it was Hatfield Polytechnic when I started.

I thought it was a nice place, I only visited once to show them my final year project though.

Martin

jgharston

Postby jgharston » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:52 pm

Last year I applied to do a Masters, with half the course material being stuff I'd already done before, but was turned down for having been to university too long ago (1987), and having no relevent experience (err... isn't the whole point of going to uni is to get the experience?).

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

BigEd

Postby BigEd » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:51 pm

Hmm, a family member had the opposite experience - got onto a Masters in IT, having long ago got a language degree. I wonder if there are two kinds of Masters, one being a vocational bootstrapping course and the other being an extension of a Bachelor's degree.

As for the originally posted course, I'd imagine from the reputation of Oxford that it would be a solid course but pretty challenging. More important, perhaps, is whether it would give the student the expertise and knowledge that they were looking for. If it were me, I'd cast my eye over the syllabus.

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:31 pm

Pointless, I've got many Accounting letters after my name, sat on dole for a total of 3.5yrs :lol:

could be a doctor of science, & stack shelfs at crappy Tesco. . .

its all about experience , and brown nosing thick managers nowadays :roll:

but, if keeps your mind of things & get 'study' money, go for it !
ImageImageImage

jgharston

Postby jgharston » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:28 am

CMcDougall wrote:Pointless, I've got many Accounting letters after my name, sat on dole for a total of 3.5yrs :lol:
could be a doctor of science, & stack shelfs at crappy Tesco. . .
its all about experience , and brown nosing thick managers nowadays :roll:
but, if keeps your mind of things & get 'study' money, go for it !

Same thing happened when I came back from Hong Kong. "Oh, you've been out of the country, you don't have any relevent experience". Which of course naturally progressed to "oh, you've been unemployed ever since you came back from Hong Kong, we don't take on people who are unemployed".

Last week I got a rejection for a Software Engineer position, turned down because I wasn't experienced enough. Today I've just got a job rejection today for an IT Engineer position, turned down because I'm too experienced. Whatever happened to "I'll do whatever pays the bills"? It's as though they expect you to say "I refuse to apply for anything beneath myself and will starve before I do so!"

$ bbcbasic
>_

z0m8ied0g

Postby z0m8ied0g » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:10 pm

jgharston wrote:Today I've just got a job rejection today for an IT Engineer position, turned down because I'm too experienced.

What they basically meant was "You'll show us all up for the clueless people we really are", bet whoever interviewed you had no idea.
Acorn... lots of Acorn... http://blog.retroacorn.net

jgharston

Postby jgharston » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:45 am

z0m8ied0g wrote:
jgharston wrote:Today I've just got a job rejection today for an IT Engineer position, turned down because I'm too experienced.

What they basically meant was "You'll show us all up for the clueless people we really are", bet whoever interviewed you had no idea.

Interview? What's one of those? Actually getting throught to an interview would be like winning the lottery without buying a ticket.

$ bbcbasic
>_

davidb

Postby davidb » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:32 pm

I wonder if there's a site somewhere with reviews of online courses. It would certainly be good to get people's impressions and experience before putting down thousands of pounds and committing a lot of time to study. Otherwise it's a case of hearing about these things via word of mouth.

I've heard mixed things about online study in general. For some vocational qualifications it can apparently be very effective. For longer, more academic topics I've heard less enthusiastic reports, though this is obviously influenced by the institution and the way the particular course was run. Tracking down people who have done the course you want and asking them about their experience could be useful. Good luck! :)

jgharston

Postby jgharston » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:14 pm

I was looking at Distance Learning Portal the other day thinking about making another try for next September. I have a similar concern to the OP in that if I'm not actually having to physically turn up at a physical location I'll end up drifting off.

$ bbcbasic
>_

martinw

Postby martinw » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:13 pm

I actually found distance learning a lot easier than the real thing so to speak.

I think it was because a lot of the coursework was visual, not just text.

It wasn't exactly like this, but something similar (see link).

http://williamson-labs.com/

Martin

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:36 pm

jgharston wrote:Interview? What's one of those? Actually getting throught to an interview would be like winning the lottery without buying a ticket.

best bet is to change your CV to suit your applied job, what I did, & got many interviews after doing this per my previous directors advice.
ie If for a Shelf Stacker, just say you only have a ordinary grade in English & maths! Don't say it's to just pay the bills , say you look forward to a upward career to .... The top shelf :?
ImageImageImage

TopBanana

Postby TopBanana » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:01 pm

CMcDougall wrote:best bet is to change your CV to suit your applied job, what I did, & got many interviews after doing this per my previous directors advice.
ie If for a Shelf Stacker, just say you only have a ordinary grade in English & maths! Don't say it's to just pay the bills , say you look forward to a upward career to .... The top shelf :?

Absolutely spot on - read the advert, tailor your CV to the advert, even down to the order in which you list your skills - match the advert.

Your CV gets a maximum of 90 seconds viewing time by the recruitment consultant and not much more by the employer.

Make it easy for them.

Follow up with the recruiter the day after submitting your CV.

However, skill set is less than 50% of the battle - making sure you are the right fit for the company you are looking to work for is the interviewers top priority. Take down any online posts which may show you in a bad light, companies look at these things too.

I've done more than 150 interviews this year - I can generally tell in less than 5 minutes if a candidate is a fit for us if it's a telephone interview and 2 minutes face to face.

It's a harsh world.

BigEd

Postby BigEd » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:12 pm

I wonder if you can confirm a theory of mine, TopBanana - that hiring people is about taking the lowest-risk option. You don't want the best-qualified or the fastest worker or the most personable, rather you want the person who will need least managing and get the job done.

If that's right, it's some sort of guidance to the candidate - in their CV, their covering letter, their interview.

TopBanana

Postby TopBanana » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:01 am

Interesting theory Ed, although I wouldn't call it low risk.

Let me turn the question back on you.

Would you prefer to employ someone;-

a) Who is technically brilliant, but unreliable, rude to customers, unable to cooperate with colleagues, generally unpleasant to work with and therefore a drag on productivity.
b) Someone who you can teach the correct skills, reliable, great with customers and colleagues, pleasant and makes a general positive contribution to the working environment.

Clive Woodward wrote in his book about the England Rugby World Cup winning team of 2003 about energy sappers and energisers. To me it's about finding the energising candidates and avoiding the energy sappers.

northernbob

Postby northernbob » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:31 am

jgharston wrote:I was looking at Distance Learning Portal the other day thinking about making another try for next September. I have a similar concern to the OP in that if I'm not actually having to physically turn up at a physical location I'll end up drifting off.

theres some good option in apprenticeships now. I nearly went onto a higher apprenticship myself, but a tthe timei was applying for a masters at cardiff cardiff(which i didnt get onto)

https://www.unionlearn.org.uk/levels-apprenticeship

you could easily get onto an advanced apprenticeship in it, to fill in your time till the autumn.

alternatively come down to somerset, there lots jopbs at HPC, you can scrub down a reactor with a neutron blaster :P

northernbob

Postby northernbob » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:43 am

jgharston wrote:Last year I applied to do a Masters, with half the course material being stuff I'd already done before, but was turned down for having been to university too long ago (1987), and having no relevent experience (err... isn't the whole point of going to uni is to get the experience?).

if you wanted to do a proper course....(in comp science)

Mature student second application round

The four mature Colleges (Hughes Hall, Lucy Cavendish, St Edmund's and Wolfson) consider mature and affiliate applications for most subjects as part of a second application round, the deadline for which is 1 March 2018.

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac. ... plications

i believe this uni has quite a good reputation....

Looked at this myself, but my maths isnt good enough (

Return to “off-topic”