2nd SATA hard drive??

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
CMcDougall

2nd SATA hard drive??

Postby CMcDougall » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:24 pm

On my desktop main work /music horse, I put it back to winXP when it came with Win Vista, wiped straight away :lol:

now, if I want to add other Hard Discs to it, the normal IDE ones 34+pins (PATA?) are easy, take out lead & power from old CD drive,
plug in the IDE one, wire up, power on, WinXP finds and can get all the stuff out it as drive D:

BUT, thought would do same but with a SATA drive, but it's a no show #-o
tried the Disk Management, still a no show, as usually with new HD they need Partitioned / formatted /wait ages / then "healthy"

so, does taking out the SATA lead & power from a DVD read/writer not work as same as the IDE..... :roll:

here is the drive, looked up the spec /instructions, but it does not show anything about 2nd drive or Jumper settings, maybe answer :?
pic of said SATA drive, brand new out TV vision boxes, WD -500GB -WD5000AVCS:
Attachments
WD500gb HD sata.jpg
ImageImageImage

1024MAK

Re: 2nd SATA hard drive??

Postby 1024MAK » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:36 pm

Is it showing up in the BIOS when the machine boots?
Is your BIOS set to show the boot sequence or is it set to hide the boot messages?

I've had multiple HDD including PATA, SATA and SCSI in systems before. Can't say I nicked the DVD/CD ROM drive connectors for it though (as I used spare leads and connectors that either the system already had, or used my own).

I have found with some motherboards, the specific SATA socket used is important. Use the wrong one and the drive gets ignored :twisted: But I think that was a design flaw with that motherboard design.

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:01 pm

the Acer Desktop is always set to Auto detect everthing in the BIOS (saves me clicking the F10 key fast to stop for setup &save) :wink:
& boot is HD DVD CD Floppy

so, should find it, as per the easy IDE, but not sure about the faster 2 wire SATA's.....
might buy /try a USB docking thingy ma bob...(caddy!) if any good at £3, doubt it unless USB3, but again still slower one would expect :-k
ImageImageImage

topcat96

Postby topcat96 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:09 pm

The chances are that only the internal primary SATA port is actually set to auto configure as a HD in the BIOS. The CD drive you borrowed the cables and SATA port must already be configured as a CD/DVD drive in the BIOS and it needs to be changed.

I would suggest checking the BIOS settings and ensure the drive shows up in there first. If not then no amount of tinkering with windows disk management will solve your problem because the BIOS settings are basically "god" and tells any software that interrogates it whats connected.

BTW ... SATA drives don't need any jumper settings. It's all automatic as there's no Master or Slave requirement like there is in PATA. One SATA drive per SATA socket on the mainboard, no daisy-chaining allowed or possible.

JonC

Postby JonC » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:36 am

Also, while your CD/DVD Drive may have worked, cheap SATA cables can be fickle, so try changing it.
Also try plugging in to a SATA mobo connector that your current HDD sits on to see if it detects. :D
Jon

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:39 pm

had another go a few days ago, it's not the cable, as it finds the DVD writer no probs, so maybe SATA2 cable is only for <5GB :-k
motherboard is dated 2008, & I updated the BIOS to latest version many moons ago... (now not supported 2017)

so it shows in the BIOS as I said everything is set to Auto.

It finds it in the Device Manager :
sata2.jpg
DM sata2

but when in Dis'K' (tut tut [-X Americans :lol: ) management, it's a no show, so can't partion /format :x

might pass on this, just wanted a bigger 2nd drive like the easy IDEs, for more music /backups, instead of ssssslow DVDs
ImageImageImage

JonC

Postby JonC » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:11 pm

It sounds like it could be a faulty device.
If you have it in as the only drive and try a fresh Windows install on it, does it recognise the drive?

Edit: The drive could be factory partitioned to GPT, which means XP won't see it in Disk Management
Jon

TopBanana

Postby TopBanana » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:25 pm

Just clarify for me - how are you plugging in the SATA drive ?

It's a SATA connection from the motherboard ?

Return to “off-topic”