3D printing services

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
VincentVega

3D printing services

Postby VincentVega » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:08 pm

(I did do a search for this, but trying to find "3D" doesn't bring back a great set of results.)

I'd like to get something 3D printed. Normally this would be an excuse to buy a new gadget, but 3D printers are costly and confusing. So I was wondering whether anyone can recommend any cheap and reliable places that offer one-off printing of items in 3D.

The item in question is a mount for a Meanwell PSU in an Amiga PSU case:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2202528

I'd probably want a couple, just in case I mess things up.

danielj

Re: 3D printing services

Postby danielj » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:26 pm

I have been known to print things when people ask nicely :D Just need to check the size of the thing and see if it's feasible to fit on mine. As to price, postage+plastic.

d.

VincentVega

Postby VincentVega » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:38 pm

That would be very kind, if you wouldn't mind. I'd be most appreciative.

P.S. congratulations on 5000 posts!

danielj

Postby danielj » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:05 pm

I need to get out more...

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:10 am

I am being tempted by 3d printers, but being quite large and fragile looking I am wondering how often people who already have them use them once the novelty of printing of items wears off. I.e. whether I might be better off not bothering and trying to use a print service.

I don’t have any project in mind but it is my birthday soon so I am thinking to suggest to my wife she buys me one! (Worth a try, don’t hold out much hope, will probably get socks).

pau1ie

Postby pau1ie » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:18 pm

I have one, a 3drag marketed as a Velleman K8200, and I like the open nature of it. The design is several years old, so I am sure that there is newer and better technology available now. The thing to bear in mind is that it takes a lot of tinkering to get it working, they tend not to be like paper printers which generally just work. I have made several modifications to mine, and spent some effort in calibrating it, which I expect to have to do again after changing the filament, as it may have slightly different characteristics. I have printed a lot of things, but most of it fairly useless. I did print a boat once, which sank - it turns out that the printed objects (on my printer anyway) are porus. Also given the way the plasitic is extruded they tend to be stronger in one direction than the other, similar to things made out of wood, the grain is oriented in the correct manner to give the object strength.

I would say if you want a hobby then buy a printer, if you want a thing printed, then use a service. I would also note that designing things to print is quite difficult. I used openscad for a couple of simple objects, but it is a programming language really. Blender is usable apparently, but I havent had enough time to try it - its a really complicated program, then there is commercial software.
I'm working on http://bbcmicro.co.uk

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:21 am

Thanks. Yes I was reading the 8 pages feature in this month pi mag, that suggested it is a full time occupation. Didn’t mention boats, I will avoid them and it could be plain sailing :evil:

Maybe I will use a service the trouble is the things I had in mind were one offs. Maybe I will hang on a bit longer.