Learning old stuff let me make new stuff

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
sweh

Learning old stuff let me make new stuff

Postby sweh » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:43 am

I got my first Beeb 30+ years ago, but it wasn't until I started playing around with MartinB's UPURS code that I properly understood how the userport worked. I was always a software guy, and the userport was hardware :-)

Because of that I was able to understand the IO ports on an Arduino.

And because of that I was able to replace a broken controller in my digital safe.

So because of this forum and MartinB I learned old stuff and built new stuff :-)
Rgds
Stephen

MartinB

Re: Learning old stuff let me make new stuff

Postby MartinB » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:34 pm

Stephen - just came across this whilst looking for some UPURS stuff! Sorry I missed it and you are very kind sir :oops: - I wont get into smoke blowing but you too contribute a wealth of fascinating Beeb-related info and other topical goodies (e.g. the digital safe =D> ) as do most folk on here.... 8)

As a related aside, I find there is a very large Beeb (etc.) user-base out there who, for various reasons, don't want to 'belong' to the forum. They tend to track me down because, like me, they are huge fans of the floppy disc drive and UPURS is an ideal support tool for such set-ups. Like you, they are more often than not from a software background but find that tinkering with UPURS and the user-port isn't too intimidating and this frequently whets their appetite for being a bit more adventurous on the hardware side. So, the good old Beeb is still fulfilling its educational ambitions 30+ years later... :D

Return to “off-topic”