Repairing Adventures for your BBC micro

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
pau1ie

Repairing Adventures for your BBC micro

Postby pau1ie » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:03 am

So, Lardo Boffin bought a book and Lurkio broke it.

It seems a shame to bin a relatively rare book, so I am going to try to fix it.

adv2.jpg

It was already in a bit of a sorry state, so I took the cover off, or all the pages out.

adv3.jpg

The pages are coming apart from each other

adv4.jpg

The glue is in a pretty sorry state. I ended up taking the pages out one at a time and taking the glue off by hand. There is now no glue left on the book, the pages are all individual. By the way if you want anything to be scanned again, now is the time to ask!

adv5.jpg

I am keeping it under a copy of The Micro Enquirer to keep it flat. I will wait till next Thursday now as the next stage needs some tools they have in the class. Ooh - It came from Salford City Libraries. I love ex-library books!
I'm working on http://bbcmicro.co.uk

lurkio

Re: Repairing Adventures for your BBC micro

Postby lurkio » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:53 am

pau1ie wrote:So, Lardo Boffin bought a book and Lurkio broke it.

I beg to differ -- I just broke it more.

:wink:

pau1ie

Postby pau1ie » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:06 am

lurkio wrote:
pau1ie wrote:So, Lardo Boffin bought a book and Lurkio broke it.

I beg to differ -- I just broke it more.

:wink:

Ah, that explains why a chunk of pages is a different colour on the edges than the rest...

So far, I have broken it even more...

Lardo Boffin

Postby Lardo Boffin » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:08 am

It was in a sorry state when it arrived. The seller had described the condition as good but let’s not split hairs. [-X

Please keep posting updates - I have no idea how you go about fixing a book and it will be an interesting read!
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Retroclinic Datacentre + HDD, matchbox co-proc, Viglen twin 40/80 5.25" discs, acorn cassette
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc, Acorn 6502 coproc

pau1ie

Postby pau1ie » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:04 pm

And it was Thursday yesterday. What damage did I do?

01vice.JPG

So this thingy holds all the pages together between two pieces of card. The tutor came over and reminded me about the card, pointed out that there is enough of a gutter that you will still be able to read the text after I have sawed through it, so long as I don't saw down too far. There is the saw on the bottom left.

02Thread.JPG

Here are the slots I sawed. They are at an angle so the thread doesn't fall out. As you see I added some thread (I think it is linen) and then I used PVA to stick it all together. It dries pretty quickly.

03endPapers.JPG

Next I folded and cut the end papers. They are "tipped in", which means I put PVA on the 2mm closest to the fold, then be careful to put the fold at the end closest to the thread I attached earlier. The end papers are slightly oversized at this point, so the only bit to get right is to make sure the spine is lined up properly.

04press.JPG

Then I put it into the press for a few seconds so it is nice and flat.

05Endpapers.JPG

Here it is with the end papers trimmed to the size of the book. The callipers are to measure the spine. I cut a piece of manilla the right width. This is to strengthen the bond with the mull, which is the open weave cloth which is also cut to size.

06spine.JPG

And here it is with the mull and manilla stuck on.

07cover.JPG

Now I need to start making the cover. It will become a hardback, as that seems like the only option in this class. Anyway hardback is better. This is the tricky bit. The covers are measured with 2.5mm over each edge, except at the spine where we need it not to go as far as the spine so the book can open. I need a gap of the thickness of the card. The spine itself is kind of the width of the book plus the thickness of the card. One would think it would be the thickness of two cards (i.e. the back and front cover), but the tutor says that makes the spine too big.

08sofar.JPG

And this is pretty much as far as I got. I need to cover the cards with material. The piece of paper is to measure the size of the material which will form the cover. Do you have any preferences as to colour? I was thinking black because that is the main colour of the cover (The tutor calls it the case). However maybe you would prefer blue as that is the second colour in the cover. I hope to finish it next week which is the last session of the year, so I have to pick something that is available.

The idea is to cover the card with cloth, then cut the front and back of the cover and stick it on. This way the book ends up with the same look as before. The spine is a little the worse for wear - do you want that stuck on as well? You can read it so you can identify the book, but it is rather creased so won't look terribly pretty. But then again, if the cover (sorry case) is on straight it will be a miracle!

Lardo Boffin

Postby Lardo Boffin » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:07 pm

Wow. Awesome progress! =D> Black is good for me. Dont worry about the spine if it is trashed - I suspect i will know which book it is! :D
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Retroclinic Datacentre + HDD, matchbox co-proc, Viglen twin 40/80 5.25" discs, acorn cassette
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc, Acorn 6502 coproc

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:01 pm

@pau1ie - absolutely fascinating captain 8)

Thanks for posting =D>

The things you learn about on StarDot! :D :lol:

Warp speed...!

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

pau1ie

Postby pau1ie » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:09 pm

It was Thusday yesterday, and it was the last book binding before the new year. So, did I manage to get the book finished, before the end of the class? Or did I destroy a moderately expensive and rare book? Read on to find out!

01cutting.jpg

Last week I cut out some card and used some paper to measure the width of the material required. This is Buckrum which as far as I can work out, is material stiffened with glue. I add 2cm to each side of the board which is folded over later. The gaps are measured by the piece of paper that was folded round, but it seems I end up with it being too small, so I add a bit.

02GlueCorners.JPG

So here I am gluing the boards on to the buckrum. I used a mixture of paste and PVA. This delays the The corners get in the way, so are cut off with 2mm to spare so there isn't a gap.

03Sticking.JPG

The edges are folded over and smoothed with the bone folder. Then the sides, then the cover, sorry case, is done.

04Coveron.JPG

Now, there is a lot that happens here, but it is mostly done with PVA which is quick setting, so I didn't have time for photos. First I put PVA down the buckrum that is exposed by the spine, and put the book in and moved it till I was happy with the position. This is called hanging. Then, I used the bone folder to smooth down the outside. Next, I carefully lifted up the cover and put a piece of scrap paper between the endpaper and the first page (Which is the other end of the piece of paper which forms the endpaper). Then I spread PVA over the end paper, and smoothed the cover over it. The mull which is glued into the spine is sandwiched between the endpaper and the cover, which attaches the cover to the book. The scrap paper is taken out and replaced with a sheet of plastic which will stop any glue seeping out of the cover and gluing the book together.

05Press.JPG

Now it goes in the press for 10 seconds.

06covers.jpg

It looks really good. You can't open the book for at least a day. There is one more thing to do though. I cut the front and back off the cover, trimmed them a bit to make them fit and to take of the dog ears. The buckrum has to be roughened a little with sandpaper to let the glue stick. Then I let it dry for a day. Then put it under The Micro Enquirer for a few days, as the PVA warps the cover a little when it is damp, and it sometimes needs some encouragement to straighten up.

Lardo Boffin

Postby Lardo Boffin » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:07 am

=D> =D> =D> =D>

Clearly a process for someone with a LOT of patience!

marcusjambler

Postby marcusjambler » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:58 am

Very interesting
=D> =D> =D>

pau1ie

Postby pau1ie » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:38 pm

Here is the finished article. I am biased, but I think it is beautiful. I am really pleased with the way it turned out. It is better than new.

01front.JPG
02open.jpg

It doesn't sit open because of the way the pages were bound together. This is unavoidable, but it would have been the same originally.

03endpaper.jpg

I think the original spine is too damaged to replace. If you would like it to be replaced, you should rough the buckrum with sandpaper, and stick it on with PVA.
04cover.jpg
05open.jpg

It is so beautiful, not just to look at, but also to touch and hold. I know I am biased because I did it, but even so...

Mr Boffin, please can you PM me your address? I feel it is more or less time to send your book back to you. Though I would happily hold on to it if you decided you didn't want it :twisted:

leenew

Postby leenew » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:57 pm

Well done! Really good work =D>

Lee.

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:51 am

Some most excellent work there, very impressive =D> =D> =D>

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

Lardo Boffin

Postby Lardo Boffin » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:21 am

Its all yours to keep. Enjoy.

Although I suspect you have just become the offical stardot book restorer! :D

Lardo

pau1ie

Postby pau1ie » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:12 am

Wow, thanks. I am somewhat lost for words. Um. :D

Commie_User

Postby Commie_User » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:42 pm

That's pretty damn good! Way too good than the book may deserve!

My way probably would have been to find a small ring binder and drill holes in the pad of pages.

Return to “off-topic”