WinPC + Avast help

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
jgharston

WinPC + Avast help

Postby jgharston » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:12 am

Wary of posting about the dark side...

My main non-Acorn system is a Windows PC. Recently it's being getting sluggier and sluggier, eventually just freezing. I worked out it only happened if I was using the internet, typing response would stick and then suddenly return, and then browsing would just stop, leaving the browser unkillable and the system un-Ctrl-Alt-Del-able, forcing me to grope for the reset button.

Through several days of frustrated testing, backing up, system restores, deep cleans, driver updates, application updates, virus scanner updates, I've narrowed it down to:
* if Avast is enabled, it kills the system a few minutes after any form of internet activity.
* if Avast is disabled, the system works indefinitely.

Any advice on how to fix this? My first instinct with misbehaving software like this is to nuke it down the the sector level and forbid it from being anywhere near my system again.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

sydney

Re: WinPC + Avast help

Postby sydney » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:20 am

Which software are you thinking of removing permanently? Avast, Windows or both? I'd go with both and install linux.

BigEd

Postby BigEd » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:54 am

It's been a while since I used Windows, but last I did, the only sensible choice for anti-virus was Microsoft's own.

jgharston

Postby jgharston » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:09 pm

sydney wrote:Which software are you thinking of removing permanently? Avast, Windows or both? I'd go with both and install linux.

The problem with removing Windows is that the majority of my work is dependent on Windows and isn't possible on Linux. I have a dual boot system and boot into Linux, mostly for doing backups where I can bypass the Windows accounting system and grab the entire file system.

I've currently gone for nuking Avast from orbit and installing Panda Antivirus on the advice of a friend who's just done the same with his system.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

JonC

Postby JonC » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:22 pm

I'd just use Windows Defender, it's built in and just as good as any of the others.
Jon

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:35 pm

Avast worse than McAfee :shock: :lol:

only use the Free AVG, and use Malwarebytes once a month, as it's a deeper 'clean'

also in browser's , use a advert blocker, this saves wasted time waiting for useless pictures to show :D
(if I wanted a washing machine :roll: , I would get one cheaper from Comet etc :lol: )
ImageImageImage

crj

Postby crj » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:23 am

I've tended to find that AVG free is OK, too.

JonC

Postby JonC » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:20 pm

CMcDougall wrote:also in browser's , use a advert blocker, this saves wasted time waiting for useless pictures to show :D
(if I wanted a washing machine :roll: , I would get one cheaper from Comet etc :lol: )

Or set yourself up a PiHole - works well.
Jon

Return to “off-topic”