Writing to an ADFS partition in Linux

discuss PC<>Acorn file transfer issues & the use of FDC, XFER, Omniflop/disk etc.
DutchAcorn

Writing to an ADFS partition in Linux

Postby DutchAcorn » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:50 pm

It seemed like a good idea to be able to exchange files using my two SCSI SyQuest drives; one in my PC and the other one in my A310. I was forced to use Linux because Windows 7 has no support for the ancient ISA SCSI card I use. I am not very proficient in Linux (using Ubuntu).

Using this guide I got as far as being able to read the volume and get files of it to Linux. But I can´t write to it, it opens as "access files". If I try to change permissions it seems to work but I get errors when trying to write something (or create a directory).

Has anyone done this before and know how to get a volume to open as read / write?

Thanks!
Paul

poink

Re: Writing to an ADFS partition in Linux

Postby poink » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:20 pm

DutchAcorn wrote:Has anyone done this before and know how to get a volume to open as read / write?

I think writing is still considered experimental (there's not a great amount of interest or need to write to ADFS from Linux!). If you want to risk it, I believe the kernel has to be compiled with ADFS_FS_RW enabled.

One way to find out for the currently running kernel (assuming it's been installed via package management) would be to run something like (it's enabled if you get back ADFS_FS_RW=y):

Code: Select all

grep ADFS_FS_RW /boot/config-"`uname -r`"

An alternative might be to create a small ext2 partition, and try the RISC OS ext2 stuff that shipped with ARMLinux (if you can find a copy!) on that.

DutchAcorn

Postby DutchAcorn » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:25 pm

Thanks for the explanation and the link! Recompiling the kernel using experimental features marked "dangerous" in capitals is probably not the most sensible path for someone with my (lack of) Linux skills. Pitty, seemed like a good option. :(
Paul

poink

Postby poink » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:05 pm

DutchAcorn wrote:Thanks for the explanation and the link! Recompiling the kernel using experimental features marked "dangerous" in capitals is probably not the most sensible path for someone with my (lack of) Linux skills. Pitty, seemed like a good option. :(

Doing a kernel recompile is fairly easy, in practice. The problem is that it's marked 'dangerous' because there's a lack of confidence that it's a correct implementation of ADFS write support...it might work great, it might mean that you lose any data on the SyQuest cartridge.

You might have success using FAT as the filesystem; note you make need to ensure you get the right FAT 'size' (I think 16) so formatting under Linux - even if you had a Windows machine about! - is probably the best option here.

I have, after a lot of searching and a bit of luck, found the RISC OS ext2 software - !IscaFS (latest version I could find is 0.17), but it's read-only. I guess you could use ext2 from Linux to RISC OS, and ADFS from RISC OS to Linux - but that's getting pretty silly.

roland

Postby roland » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:34 pm

DutchAcorn wrote:Thanks for the explanation and the link! Recompiling the kernel using experimental features marked "dangerous" in capitals is probably not the most sensible path for someone with my (lack of) Linux skills. Pitty, seemed like a good option. :(

"Het meervoud van lef is leven"

Just take care for a good backup and try it. You' will only learn from it :D
256K + 6502 Inside
MAN WOMAN :shock:

DutchAcorn

Postby DutchAcorn » Fri May 05, 2017 7:11 pm

This week I found an alternative approach that may help others. Using the linux dd command I made an image of an IDE drive and found that I could open and write directly to the image using Arculator by simply renaming it to "HD4.HDF".

So that opened the option of adding software using Arculator's hostfs on a PC and then writing back the modified hard disc image to the physical drive, again using the linux dd command. Perhaps unsurprising it also worked on SCSI drives.

It may not be the most convenient way of software transfer if you want to transfer a single file but if you are transferring bulk it may be a viable alternative.

Btw I also tried to write my existing HD4.HDF image to a physical drive but that failed. So apparently not all HD images are alike.
Paul

ctr

Postby ctr » Fri May 05, 2017 8:07 pm

DutchAcorn wrote:This week I found an alternative approach that may help others. Using the linux dd command I made an image of an IDE drive and found that I could open and write directly to the image using Arculator by simply renaming it to "HD4.HDF".

If you mount the IDE drive at a directory called "HD4.HDF" would Arculator speak directly to the drive?

If you make a copy with dd before you start you can rewrite the drive if it goes horribly wrong.

DutchAcorn

Postby DutchAcorn » Fri May 05, 2017 8:39 pm

ctr wrote:
DutchAcorn wrote:This week I found an alternative approach that may help others. Using the linux dd command I made an image of an IDE drive and found that I could open and write directly to the image using Arculator by simply renaming it to "HD4.HDF".

If you mount the IDE drive at a directory called "HD4.HDF" would Arculator speak directly to the drive?

If you make a copy with dd before you start you can rewrite the drive if it goes horribly wrong.

I love to experiment but I do not have Arculator working on Linux..
Paul

Return to “software & utilities for the pc, mac or unix”