Is this project worth it?

discuss PC<>Acorn file transfer issues & the use of FDC, XFER, Omniflop/disk etc.
streaks

Is this project worth it?

Postby streaks » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:23 am

Would anyone be interested in an Infinity-ish game maker for the modern PC? Like, with a map editor, and a folder with image files and the text files containing the character's behaviour script...

Like one would contain:

Name Wall
Solid
Image wall1.png

And one could contain:

Name Spider
Entity
Deadly
Var Direction
Speed 4
AnimSpeed 10
Image spider1.png
Image spider2.png
Image spider3.png

[Script]
if direction=0
If NorthBlockFlag SpiderOK
Move North
else
direction=1
endif
endif
if direction=1
if SouthBlockFlag SpiderOK
Move South
else
direction=0
endif
endif

That kind of thing. And if it's worth doing, would it be better in retro graphics style, or HD? Let me know if you'd actually get use out of it. I've done this project before as an all-in-one editor but I think it's cleaner and more modular/sharable with a folder with images and text files. It compiles before running so it'll be very fast. There'd be an editor and game player. So, worth making? Be honest. :P
streaksy (at) gmail (dot) com

Lardo Boffin

Re: Is this project worth it?

Postby Lardo Boffin » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:33 am

Speaking as someone with young kids who I would like to teach to code I can't think of anything better than writing a game to keep their interest.
Obviously I'm not suggesting it will be a kids product but if you can do simple scripts to create a very simple game (as well as more complex ones) it would be very interesting to me.
I favour retro graphics! They certainly seem to be the vogue in games in the App Store at the moment. Monkey Island on my iPhone does a very nice trick where you can switch between original graphics and a modem high res version...
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Retroclinic Datacentre + HDD, matchbox co-proc, Viglen twin 40/80 5.25" discs, acorn cassette
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc, Acorn 6502 coproc

barbarossa69

Postby barbarossa69 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:06 am

I would definitely be interested, and as the above poster said, it would be a really great learning tool.

With regards to graphics, could you use icon files and let people switch between retro/modern?

streaks

Postby streaks » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:58 am

Two people saying yes... Eeehhhhhhh not sure it's worth the work. :P MIGHT do it anyway because I kinda want to as an excercise. I'll let you know.
streaksy (at) gmail (dot) com

Kecske Bak

Postby Kecske Bak » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:27 am

I'd definitely be interested as well - I'm interested in everything you do but I didn't want to say yes as I still haven't produced the set of Repton Overture screens I promised!

An interesting project to look at is Claptraps by TestPilotMonkey. Richard used Python as Reptol and it is possible to create Repton Ininifity-ish games using it.

https://sites.google.com/site/testpilot ... oductions/

daveejhitchins

Postby daveejhitchins » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:17 am

I think you should go-ahead. I'm sure there are a lot more people interested, in both the development and end result, than are letting on. I think a lot of members really do enjoy the 'reading' of project development - that's by judging how many 'reads' some post get against replies!

So - go for it =D>

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

oss003

Postby oss003 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:00 am

I think you should have a look at Jonathan Cauldwells latest AGD. It is written in C, uses textfiles to define the game and uses an engine which can be changed.
Really interesting....

https://www.specnext.com/spectrum-next- ... piler-0-1/

Greetings
Kees

SteveF

Postby SteveF » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:41 am

daveejhitchins wrote:I think you should go-ahead. I'm sure there are a lot more people interested, in both the development and end result, than are letting on. I think a lot of members really do enjoy the 'reading' of project development - that's by judging how many 'reads' some post get against replies!

This is absolutely the case for me here - the project sounds fascinating and I'd love to see progress reports and discussion as it proceeds, but I am not sure I'd personally *use* it, so I kept quiet.

Return to “software & utilities for the pc, mac or unix”