BBC Micro Image Converter 0.20 released!

discuss PC<>Acorn file transfer issues & the use of FDC, XFER, Omniflop/disk etc.
Dreamland Fantasy

BBC Micro Image Converter 0.20 released!

Postby Dreamland Fantasy » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:42 pm

Hi there,

Just to let you all know that I have released a new version of my BBC Micro Image Converter (formerly Image2BBC). Download it from http://www.dfstudios.co.uk/temp/img2bbc/Image2BBC.zip

New features:

- Activated import BBC screen function (although unfinished)
- Renamed to BBC Micro Image Converter to reflect the BBC->image conversion functionality (and future Mode 7 'teletext' conversion functionality)
- Reorganised the menus a bit
- Added Solarise function

The import BBC screen function is still very buggy, primarily due to the limitations of the current GUI (the new one isn't ready yet!). To import an image you will need to set the screen mode to what you want first, then the image will be imported at that screen mode. From there you can treat the image more-or-less as normal.

Kind regards,

Francis.
Dreamland Fantasy Studios
http://www.dfstudios.co.uk

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:34 pm

nice1 :wink:
ImageImageImage

Dreamland Fantasy

Postby Dreamland Fantasy » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:53 pm

I wonder if anyone else has noticed a glaring bug in the About window. If you need a clue run the program and have a look at the compile date and time. I didn't notice this until I was working on the program today! :oops:

I guess I was in too much of a rush to get the new version uploaded. :roll:

Kind regards,

Francis.

guesser

Postby guesser » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:31 pm

very cool. I have a suggestion for another new feature, which is a mode to give greyscale weightings for the colours. e.g. when viewed in b&w the colours all appear as different shades of grey, some pictures would look very good in greyscale. obviously when viewed in colour they'd be hideous :lol:
I can't claim this idea as original, it is used in a image to zx spectrum utility I use! :)

Dreamland Fantasy

Postby Dreamland Fantasy » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:57 pm

Greyscale conversion for black and white displays is already on my to do list and should be included in one of the forthcoming updates. I got the idea for including it after watching some BBC animation demos that use this technique to very good effect.

I can't say when the new version of the BBC Image Converter will be released as it is currently undergoing a lot of work (it's almost being completely rewritten!) and will include a vastly improved GUI and loads of new features! :)

Thanks for the suggestion and keep them coming! :D

Kind regards,

Francis.

guesser

Postby guesser » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:32 pm

take your time, when you release a version supporting it, I'll have to get round to building a colour/b&w composite switch system on my beeb :-)

sorvad

Postby sorvad » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:36 am

I've just noticed that the save as BBC screen dump option doesn't produce an inf file that is correct (apologies if this is a known issue). The resulting file will not import correctly into DFS Explorer, the name goes astray leaving just $. and the load exec address are not importing correctly.

It fairs a little better in my DFS Manager software where it correctly gets the name but the load and exec are still missing.

The name problem is most likely because your not saving it out with the preceding directory letter. DFS Explorer likes files naming on windows with the directory letter at the start i.e.

$.Name
$.Name.inf

My software is a little more tolerant and will correctly extract the name whether the directory letter is there or not and get the directory letter from the inf file. DFS Explorer appears to ignore the one in the inf file and use the one in the file name.

The Load and Exec address's are incorrect as the inf file used by DFS Explorer starts storing the Load address etc. at column 12(if start col is 1 not 0), yours are starting at column 11. Logically you would expect it to be at column 11 as this is the earliest position it could be if a file name was 7 chars long with a space separator (add two chars for directory and period). My software has to follow this format also to be inf file compatible which is why they both fail here.

Hope this is of some help.

Dreamland Fantasy

Postby Dreamland Fantasy » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:18 pm

sorvad wrote:I've just noticed that the save as BBC screen dump option doesn't produce an inf file that is correct (apologies if this is a known issue). The resulting file will not import correctly into DFS Explorer, the name goes astray leaving just $. and the load exec address are not importing correctly.

No I wasn't aware of this bug. Many thanks for pointing it out.

I had tried the screen dumps in BBC Explorer v2.01 (which is what I generally use) and this worked fine with the .inf files my program generated, but I hadn't checked further than that.

Again, thanks for pointing out the bug and explaining the format of the .inf files.

Kind regards,

Francis.

sorvad

Postby sorvad » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:03 pm

Happy to help. Yes when I was writing my DFS software I noticed the inf file differences between BBC Explorer and DFS Explorer and rather than create a third type I decided to follow Jon Welch's DFS Explorer as it does so much and receives so many updates.

As your program and file are not technically wrong, it's compatible with BBC Explorer. I'll add the functionality to check if the file is a DFS Explorer or BBC Explorer type file to my program (DFS Manager). Then it'll work with those two programs at least. If you change yours then it will always have some incompatibility with some of the software out there. Better for the DFS software to change. I'll add this to latest release, which will be available soon.

Dreamland Fantasy

Postby Dreamland Fantasy » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:26 pm

I was going to add a 'save .inf file compatible for...' option (or something along those lines) in the options menu (which is partially available in the current development version).

As a side note, I should hopefully be getting a Mac either this month or next whenever Apple get OSX Leopard out the door so that I can start porting BBC Micro Image Converter to the Mac.

Kind regards,

Francis.

sorvad

Postby sorvad » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:29 pm

Up to you, Jon might be happy to oblige with any changes in his software too.

Dreamland Fantasy

Postby Dreamland Fantasy » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:43 pm

sorvad wrote:Up to you, Jon might be happy to oblige with any changes in his software too.

It would be nicer if I didn't need to include a compatibility option and it just worked with all the BBC Explorer type programs out there, but I think I will include it as an option just in case and keep the current format as the default.

Kind regards,

Francis.

CMcDougall

Postby CMcDougall » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:16 pm

don't even bother with that.

I got them onto my .ssd/dsd no probs!!

as long as your Scr loader/prog/menu has

*L. SCR ####

depending on what mode, change ####

:wink:
ImageImageImage

Dreamland Fantasy

Postby Dreamland Fantasy » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:16 pm

CMcDougall wrote:don't even bother with that.

I got them onto my .ssd/dsd no probs!!

as long as your Scr loader/prog/menu has

*L. SCR ####

depending on what mode, change ####

:wink:

Well, there is that option as well. :)

Kind regards,

Francis.

g7jjf

Postby g7jjf » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:52 pm

sorvad wrote:Up to you, Jon might be happy to oblige with any changes in his software too.

When I first started to write my Explorer programs, I looked around the web to see if there was a 'standard' .inf file format as most programs at the time had their own versions.

I found the following document :

http://bbc.nvg.org/std-format.php3

and seem to remember basing my programs on that standard.

I don't feel inclined to start changing things at this stage or it might upset my users.

Jon.

sorvad

Postby sorvad » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:12 pm

My changes won't effect end users. I'll be writing out in the format you use but the program will have the ability to auto detect and read both types of file. So nothing will change for current users.

Also (briefly) looking at that spec, the internal .inf Francis has created seems to conform. So Load and exec should import ok. Although the PC file names are admittedly incorrect

Dreamland Fantasy

Postby Dreamland Fantasy » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:04 pm

sorvad wrote:Also (briefly) looking at that spec, the internal .inf Francis has created seems to conform. So Load and exec should import ok. Although the PC file names are admittedly incorrect

I also had a brief look through this document. My interpretation of it is as long as there is white space between the various parts then it should not matter at what position the next part begins.

I've printed it off though so I can read it later in more detail.

Kind regards,

Francis.

FourthStone

Re: BBC Micro Image Converter 0.20 released!

Postby FourthStone » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:55 am

....10 years later... are you still actively developing this program?

If so I'd love to be able to export to beeb at a specific resolution, I'm trying to convert some Apple II screens that are 280x192, any chance you're still in development and might take a look?

Dreamland Fantasy

Postby Dreamland Fantasy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:12 am

It is still being developed, but I will admit that it is going quite slow due to other commitments. Custom resolutions is already on my to do list.

Kind regards,

Francis

RobC

Postby RobC » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:09 am

Dreamland Fantasy wrote:If so I'd love to be able to export to beeb at a specific resolution, I'm trying to convert some Apple II screens that are 280x192, any chance you're still in development and might take a look?

When I was doing this for BeebJack, I just modified the source images in Paint so that they had a black border to bring them up to the appropriate Beeb size. Then I converted them in Image2BBC and wrote some BASIC code to scrunch out the border and save the screen.

If you want to send me an example image, I can send you some code to do the same thing if you wish.

jgharston

Postby jgharston » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:58 pm

Dreamland Fantasy wrote:It is still being developed, but I will admit that it is going quite slow due to other commitments. Custom resolutions is already on my to do list.

I was twiddling with ImportTTX some months ago trying to get around to finishing my M7toBMP program. It would be useful to have an "adjust aspect ratio" option to have the option to squash the pixels to get the correct final almost-4x3 aspect ratio for the picture, it should be 480x400 (40*12 x 25*16) or 400x300 (40*10 x 25*12).

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

Dreamland Fantasy

Postby Dreamland Fantasy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:45 pm

jgharston wrote:I was twiddling with ImportTTX some months ago trying to get around to finishing my M7toBMP program. It would be useful to have an "adjust aspect ratio" option to have the option to squash the pixels to get the correct final almost-4x3 aspect ratio for the picture, it should be 480x400 (40*12 x 25*16) or 400x300 (40*10 x 25*12).

The current developmental version has the options for various resolutions, although not the ones you've mentioned. I'll add those to the list.

Kind regards,

Francis

Dreamland Fantasy

Postby Dreamland Fantasy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:03 pm

Dreamland Fantasy wrote:
jgharston wrote:I was twiddling with ImportTTX some months ago trying to get around to finishing my M7toBMP program. It would be useful to have an "adjust aspect ratio" option to have the option to squash the pixels to get the correct final almost-4x3 aspect ratio for the picture, it should be 480x400 (40*12 x 25*16) or 400x300 (40*10 x 25*12).

The current developmental version has the options for various resolutions, although not the ones you've mentioned. I'll add those to the list.

Just out of curiousity, are there proper names for the resolutions of 480x400 and 400x300 (e.g. like PAL, VGA and such)?

Kind regards,

Francis

jgharston

Postby jgharston » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:02 pm

Dreamland Fantasy wrote:
Dreamland Fantasy wrote:The current developmental version has the options for various resolutions, although not the ones you've mentioned. I'll add those to the list.

Just out of curiousity, are there proper names for the resolutions of 480x400 and 400x300 (e.g. like PAL, VGA and such)?

I've done a bit of searching, and no, it's universally called either "400x300", "480x400", "576x500" or "600x500".

Hardware teletext pixels are displayed 1.2 wide and 1.0 high. It actually varies between hardware between 1.19 and 1.22 but 1.2 is the prefered conversion value and gives nice round numbers. This makes the 480x500 physical pixels (40 chars x 12 pixels times 25 rows x 20 pixels) display as 576x500 virtual pixels, a 3.456:3 display fitting into the central "safe zone" of a 4:3 TV picture. The SAA5050 displays at 585.6x500 virtual pixels and rounding that to 600x500 gives a nice visual balance.

I can't think of any textual descripitons other than "585.6x500: SAA5050"

See also the discussion here and the linked-to page.

I remember years ago putting a ruler on my monitor and adjusting the monitor's display holds to ensure proper circles in graphics modes. Doing the same just now in MODE 7 gives 234mm x 195mm which gives 3.6:3 which shows that my monitor is displaying MODE 7 as 600x500. :)

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

FourthStone

Postby FourthStone » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:09 am

RobC wrote:When I was doing this for BeebJack, I just modified the source images in Paint so that they had a black border to bring them up to the appropriate Beeb size. Then I converted them in Image2BBC and wrote some BASIC code to scrunch out the border and save the screen.

If you want to send me an example image, I can send you some code to do the same thing if you wish.

Thanks for the tip, I was thinking of doing something along the same lines so I'll have a crack at it myself.

Getting the screen shots from an apple IIe emulator which are 560x384, have to do this part manually.

I'm slowly building a beeb tool set to assist with the conversion, something visual which will do the following:
Shrink an image to the native 280x192 (without loosing pixel data)
Export as a beeb file in screendump format
Compress the images ready for inclusion in an SSD to be loaded my program and decompressed.

If I can do most of that with a click of a button I'd be in a happy place :-k

Dreamland Fantasy

Postby Dreamland Fantasy » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:07 am

jgharston wrote:See also the discussion here and the linked-to page.

Thanks for the link and info. I've had a quick play with what you suggested for the 480x400 resolution:

reet_480x400.png

Compared with the original 480x500 version:

reet_480x500.png

And the PAL (768x576) version:

reet_768x576.png

Kind regards,

Francis

Return to “software & utilities for the pc, mac or unix”