ART 4 Windows

discuss PC<>Acorn file transfer issues & the use of FDC, XFER, Omniflop/disk etc.

ART 4 Windows

Postby FourthStone » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:48 am

ART 4 Windows has been in on and off development over the past year or so and now has a home on Github.

It is being developed in BBC Basic 4 Windows and is compiled into a Windows exe. BBC Basic was chosen as it is easy to understand how everything is programmed, plus I really love BBC basic!

The original inspiration for ART 4 Windows came from a simple BBC basic program jointly programmed by various people on this site, see the full development history here:

Currently the program supports mode 2 (160x256 8 colour) with a dithered palette and various drawing tools, effects, undo, with saving and loading in bmp format. The project is still in early days so there is a lot of room for improvements and feature development.

Pixelblip has created some amazing art with the various ART versions in this thread:

If interested please download, play, modify, create art and suggest improvements:

Re: ART 4 Windows

Postby SimonSideburns » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:11 pm

I've tried this program on my laptop and it works well. I've attempted to install BBC BASIC for Android and am trying to run Art 4 Windows on it but it crashes out with an error on line 0:

File or path not found at line 0

I'm going to have a good look at the program to see if I can find anything obvious but I just wanted to let you know I'm taking a look in case you or any other users of the program are interested. Maybe they can look at it too?
I'm writing a game where you can change your character from a Wizard to a monkey to a cat.

Well, Imogen that!

Richard Russell

Re: ART 4 Windows

Postby Richard Russell » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:14 am

SimonSideburns wrote:File or path not found at line 0

It appears to be looking for a file TOOLSTRIP.BMP which isn't in the Zip?

Incidentally I can't even run the original version on my PC, because my laptop screen is only 720 pixels high (after Windows' automatic DPI scaling) and the program attempts to create a window 768 pixels high! Changing the 768 to 720 works but I don't know to what extent that might compromise the screen layout.