My First BBC

where both new and existing forum members can say 'hi' to each other!
Lardo Boffin

Re: My First BBC

Postby Lardo Boffin » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:46 pm

On my MMC CD there is a 100MB file called BEEB.MMC which contains the full Stairway to Hell archive of games ready to go (a lot of games).

Unfortunately it zips down to 16MB which is still too large to upload here so here is a dropbox link: -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jodwcdvybl20cwb/BEEB.zip?dl=0

It is probably only valid for a limited number of days so best be quick downloading it!

Back up your existing MMB file before using this!!!

You basically download it, unzip it and then put it on your SD card. I have attached the readme.txt that came with it.
It won't really help with putting new files on but has virtually every game ever (or so it says) so you shouldn't need to do too much downloading.

Lardo
Attachments
ReadMe.txt
(3.14 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Retroclinic Datacentre + HDD, matchbox co-proc, Viglen twin 40/80 5.25" discs, acorn cassette
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc, Acorn 6502 coproc

Lardo Boffin

Postby Lardo Boffin » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:54 pm

Commodore wrote:Thanks Lurkio. I reckon I must be nearly there now...
I opened Beeb.MMB in MMB Imager, and could see the 20 games and 59 vacant slots. I then bought up the list of games on the CD and tried dragging Alien 8.SSD, I got errors, whichever slot I tried.

Path File Access Error 75, or something like that.

Also an import error straight afterwards.

Was I doing something wrong? Is it maybe the slot is unformatted?
If so, do I format on the Beeb, or in MMB Imager? Or indeed DFS Imager?

I really do appreciate your help.

Always copy the MMB file to the PC before amending it (and I may have mentioned making a copy of it before amending it?).

If the PC thinks the MMB file is read only for any reason it will fail when you drag new stuff in. This could be as simple as Windows permissions - not having sufficient rights on the SD drive or similar.

You shouldn't have to format the slot before dragging in - just drag into an empty slot. In the image below (from the STH archive) you could drag into slot 5 to 19. There are further empty slots later on.

MMCImager.JPG
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Retroclinic Datacentre + HDD, matchbox co-proc, Viglen twin 40/80 5.25" discs, acorn cassette
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc, Acorn 6502 coproc

Commodore

Postby Commodore » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:12 pm

That is great Lardo, many thanks.

This time when I looked at the file browser on Windows I found that the file on the SD card was now called Beeb and showed an icon of a hard drive type thing. I clicked it, up came the files and available slots, as you showed. I opened the CD ROM and tried dragging and dropping, and it has worked, so now I am off to try on the real hardware!

I will then try your Stairway to Hell Link.

Excellent, many thanks..

Commodore

Postby Commodore » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:40 pm

Well now I have 2 very strange outcomes:

1. I copied across 5 or 6 files and was very pleased to see them when I typed *DCAT. Unfortunately, when I typed *DBOOT22, nothing happened, the cursor just went one line down.
When I typed *DBOOT23 I got File not found, and the same with the rest. So I don't know what went wrong there.

I then replaced (having made a back up) the file BEEB on the SD card with the one you gave the link for. I could see tons of files. When I typed *DCAT I think I got 241 Files.

The Games file with Chuckie Egg worked, and so did the Welcome tape.

When I pressed Shift Break/Break, the Menu loaded, so I tried a few titles. All I got for any I tried was Blue screen with File Not Found.

I can't think what I've done wrong now!

Lardo Boffin

Postby Lardo Boffin » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:00 pm

Hmmm. I guess it is possible the menu program on the image is built entirely for the TurboMMC but I wouldn't have thought so.

If you navigate to a disc directly, e.g. Disc 20 (no idea what's on it) and then try to run files does it work ok? E.g. *DIN 20 and then *EXEC !boot (or shift break). That should run the menu on the disc itself. Otherwise you will need to guess at files to run them using either CHAIN "" (with a file name inserted between the quotes) or *RUN (file name).

Unfortunately I have not used mine for quite a while as I got a datacentre so am struggling to remember!

Commodore

Postby Commodore » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:15 pm

Thanks Lardo, sorry for the bother.
I'll go and give it a go.

Commodore

Postby Commodore » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:26 pm

Hi Lardo (and all the others like Lurkio who helped)

We're in business!

I formatted the SD Card and tried Shift Break/Break again. Menu came up, I then selected various titles and they all worked, so that is absolutely fantastic, many thanks for your assistance.

Now I have to get L on there, but that can wait until tomorrow.

I suppose I have to start a new disk for that?

Commodore

Postby Commodore » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:25 am

OK, so now I am up and running with the 500 Games, I have found that L is included among them. The problem is it says my disk is write protected (as is mentioned on the other thread), I believe I have to identify the drive and then *DUNLOCK, or do something in MMBImager.

Secondly, now I have the vast collection of BBC Games, I need some suggestions as to what to try.

I have some ideas, obviously the ports of the best games from the Spectrum, C64 etc, so please suggest them, especially if you think the BBC version is of special merit compared with other versions.

I am also interested in those games which are particular to the BBC though, and also new (post 1990) releases.

Some that I have tried that I like include:

The Various Reptons, although I think Repton is my favourite.
Chuckie Egg
Alien 8
Knight Lore

I'm not over keen on complicated games that have lots of controls.
If you can all suggest some popular ones, or ones that are near to your heart, then that will give me some to start off with.

Unfortunately both Yie Ar Kung Fu and Yie Ar Kung Fu 2 are both File Not Found. I shall probably have to add them separately.

I can't believe there isn't a better version of Tetris either. So far out of all the platforms I've tried I hate to say it, but the Spectrum version is best, especially with AY sound enabled. The next best is the VIC 20 version ( a new release as the poor old VIC never got TETRIS first time round!).

Is there a BBC version of Bloxorz? I should think the Beeb would be the perfect platform for that. There is a Spectrum version, which I reckon could be improved on for the Beeb.

davidb

Postby davidb » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:30 pm

Welcome! :D

Lardo Boffin

Postby Lardo Boffin » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:45 pm

Commodore wrote:Thanks Lardo, sorry for the bother.
I'll go and give it a go.

It's no bother!

You can unlock all of the discs in one go I think using mmb manager. Try 'Select All' and then 'Unlock'.

There are various top 100 games lists knocking about (http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewto ... f=1&t=8259). Try Planetoids as a good defender clone. I like Ghouls for its pixel precise jumping and awesome sound. Sabre Wulf is pretty cool as well. And Thrust!

Commodore

Postby Commodore » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:17 pm

Thanks Lardo. I shall certainly look at those lists and check out planetoids. I'm pretty sure that was a lunch time favourite at school in the early days.

My boys are totally hooked on the BBC. nothing else has come close.
Out of my collection the C 64 and the VIC 20 are probably their next favourites, in that order.
I will try to find out what it is about the Beeb that they like so much and share on here, as I am certainly interested, and maybe others might be too.
After the VIC comes the Dragon, and the Spectrum was rather an also ran associated with poor reliability issues.

I must admit, i was a little surprised, and maybe even a little wounded, when one of them said they thought the BBC sound was the best. I admit it is very good often, but as you may appreciate, the SID chip has a place in my affections, and i find it hard to better that in an 8 bit micro.

tricky

Postby tricky » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:12 pm

tricky wrote:...For newer software, try http://bbcmicro.co.uk/index.php?rt_N=on&search= or take a look at the post linked in my signature.

My version of Frogger is quite popular at shows.

*DIN x y
Inserts disc image y into logical drive x.

Commodore

Postby Commodore » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:48 am

Thanks tricky, I'll certainly give that a go.
Cheers

Commodore

Postby Commodore » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:11 pm

I have to say, that even after just a few days of ownership, the BBC is the Daddy of my 8 Bit collection. It is a top quality item. I always knew it was, but seeing one again in the flesh, just confirms it. The Commodore machines were also built to a good standard, much better than anything Sinclair or Amstrad ever produced, but the Beeb is on a different level altogether. The machine that I have probably been the most surprised by is the Dragon 32. That wasn't a bad bit of kit by anyone's standard in those days. If they could have just given it lower case letters as well and more columns on the display, things may have been quite different for that machine. Again, it is nicely put together.

My favourite will always be the humble VIC 20 though, just because it was my first.

tricky

Postby tricky » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:18 am

Glad to hear that you are enjoying your beeb ownership. Vic 20 was my first to, but I spent much more time n the beeb. I upgraded my Vic 20 with a c64 board, but hardly ever used It, finally giving it away about 10 years ago.

Commodore

Postby Commodore » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:25 pm

tricky wrote:Glad to hear that you are enjoying your beeb ownership. Vic 20 was my first to, but I spent much more time n the beeb. I upgraded my Vic 20 with a c64 board, but hardly ever used It, finally giving it away about 10 years ago.

Swapping the boards out seems like such an obvious thing to do, but it's the first I've heard it being done. Plenty of VICs have been sacrificed over the years to bring a C64 back to life though.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:25 pm

Lardo Boffin wrote:On my MMC CD there is a 100MB file called BEEB.MMC which contains the full Stairway to Hell archive of games ready to go (a lot of games).

Lardo, does GAC (disc 131) work for you?

We're having problems with it over here:

:?:

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:00 pm

Commodore wrote:
lurkio wrote:Ah, yes, you want to get that replaced with BASIC 2, ASAP! It'll help with more than just GAC!

Hopefully that's it then! I'd better get on to it. Is it an easy thing to swap?

Look back through this thread for advice from other users about getting BASIC 2 into your Beeb.

:idea:

Commodore

Postby Commodore » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:04 pm

Got one on it's way, so that's great.
Thanks Lurkio.

Lardo Boffin

Postby Lardo Boffin » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:36 pm

lurkio wrote:
Lardo Boffin wrote:On my MMC CD there is a 100MB file called BEEB.MMC which contains the full Stairway to Hell archive of games ready to go (a lot of games).

Lardo, does GAC (disc 131) work for you?

We're having problems with it over here:

I will have a look when I can next week / probably Tuesday as not near my Beeb at the mo. I have a vague feeling I tried it and couldn't get it to work - it was one of the programs I had in my youth and so was keen to try it again.

Commodore

Postby Commodore » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:45 pm

Thanks Lardo, that would be great.

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:39 pm

o jee o jee , a program is not running :) on disc 131 is it a game or some program :shock:

i will look at it ( so my user dos rom is on hold again [-X )

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:50 pm

duikkie wrote:o jee o jee , a program is not running :) on disc 131 is it a game or some program

It is not a game. It is GAC (Graphic Adventure Creator).

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:19 pm

oke i will look , but i have only beeb-em here so ssd file editing :) , i see *disc :mrgreen: first dinner then out-duikkie :shock: , if awake again i will give it a look #-o

lurkio wrote:
duikkie wrote:o jee o jee , a program is not running :) on disc 131 is it a game or some program

It is not a game. It is GAC (Graphic Adventure Creator).

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:51 pm

did have a quick look , but need more time :) little strange all together but is *disc based. so we have to convert it to mmc

work on process :)

Commodore

Postby Commodore » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:28 pm

Thanks Duikkie, much appreciated.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:11 pm

duikkie wrote:did have a quick look , but need more time :) little strange all together but is *disc based. so we have to convert it to mmc ... work on process :)

Commodore has just PM'd me and said that he can successfully run the GAC adventure editor manually, by doing this:

Code: Select all

*DIN 131
*RUN TEXT

So, it looks like it's just the menu that's the problem, then.

The actual main programs (text editor, graphics editor, etc.) are probably all fine..?

Commodore

Postby Commodore » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:23 pm

tricky wrote:
tricky wrote:...For newer software, try http://bbcmicro.co.uk/index.php?rt_N=on&search= or take a look at the post linked in my signature.

My version of Frogger is quite popular at shows.

*DIN x y
Inserts disc image y into logical drive x.

I finally had a chance to try this tricky. We all thought it was great. The best Frogger that I've seen on the Beeb.

What I think we need though is a really good Tetris. So far the best one is on the Spectrum, and that just can't be right...

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:47 pm

can be , i only are very bad in programs like this , how do you end this ? i do not see quit ??

i have no mmc system here only beeb-em so i can test if only removing *disc in gac do the trick ?
allso very strange *load gac at &1500 then old and run . this can be better :)

which file be which sub program ?

and random is not working ? error in adventure ?

lurkio wrote:
duikkie wrote:did have a quick look , but need more time :) little strange all together but is *disc based. so we have to convert it to mmc ... work on process :)

Commodore has just PM'd me and said that he can successfully run the GAC adventure editor manually, by doing this:

Code: Select all

*DIN 131
*RUN TEXT

So, it looks like it's just the menu that's the problem, then.

The actual main programs (text editor, graphics editor, etc.) are probably all fine..?

Commodore

Postby Commodore » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:52 pm

To leave a particular section I think I pressed escape to get back to the main menu of the text editor. That is text file.

Return to “introduce yourself”