Strange RiscPC floppy fault

Arc/RPCs, peripherals, RISCOS operating system & ARM kit eg GP2x, BeagleBoard
Boydie

Strange RiscPC floppy fault

Postby Boydie » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:12 pm

Hi,

I've been gradually restoring my first RiscPC (Issue 1 board) to fully working status following nasty battery damage. It's almost fully functional following repair of a bad track between IC16 and VIDC (wouldn't start) and replacing C122 (very shaky video). I thought all was fine apart from the built-in speaker not working (audio out socket is fine), down to what looks like battery damage to C162 (I think that's the correct number - it sits in the audio path to the built-in speaker, right next to the battery).

I've since discovered another, bizarre fault. With a disc in the drive, clicking on the floppy icon causes brief (about half a second) screen corruption, and results in Disc Error 02. Occasionally, it complains disc not formatted, instead.

So far, I've tried different floppies (all work fine in other machines), a drive from a different RPC, an alternative power cable from the PSU, using a different PSU to power the floppy. The fault persisted across all of these. I've checked for continuity between the floppy connector and IC5, 0V, and +5V, and all checks out as it should, with appropriate resistances if there are resistors in the path. It all checks out fine.

Any suggestions for where to look next?

Return to “hardware”