Open source firmware for Gotek floppy emulator released

Arc/RPCs, peripherals, RISCOS operating system & ARM kit eg GP2x, BeagleBoard
KenLowe

Re: Open source firmware for Gotek floppy emulator released

Postby KenLowe » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:59 pm

All the bugs seem to have been squashed in the latest test version. Disc formatting is now also working reliably. A new pre-release version will be posted up on github shortly with all the bug fixes included, but until then:

https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/fi ... _57_16.zip

Remove the following old config lines if they exist in the ff.cfg file:

Code: Select all

track-change = realtime
index-during-seek = yes

and replace with this:

index-suppression = no

Also, remove the USB stick from the Gotek, and whilst it's powered on, press and hold the two buttons for a few seconds. This will wipe any persistent configuration options from the Gotek NVRAM.

Well done to Keirf for his perseverance, and getting to the bottom of these issues.

vanekp

Postby vanekp » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:32 pm

Indeed very well done Keir, and glad he is persistent in getting it working, it's not quite 100% but its extremely close, reading works fine its writing that is not quite 100 %

O and you need to set switches/jumpers 3&4 on on your keyboard for fast seek times or it will fail on a long seek to read.
8271 | 4ms |16ms | SW3 closed SW4 closed
or *FX255,207,0 then press BREAK (NOT ctrl break)
or else you will get disc error 10 problems.
Peter.

KenLowe

Postby KenLowe » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:39 pm

vanekp wrote:Indeed very well done Keir, and glad he is persistent in getting it working, it's not quite 100% but its extremely close, reading works fine its writing that is not quite 100 %

O and you need to set switches/jumpers 3&4 on on your keyboard for fast seek times or it will fail on a long seek to read.
8271 | 4ms |16ms | SW3 closed SW4 closed
or *FX255,207,0 then press BREAK (NOT ctrl break)
or else you will get disc error 10 problems.
Peter.

You're quite right. There are still some write problems. I'm not seeing disc error 10 with the slow step rate, though. It works slow or fast on my system.

KenLowe

Postby KenLowe » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:19 am

That's version 0.914a released with a number of fixes for the Beeb 8271:

https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/re ... .9.14a.zip

There may still be some issues with writing, which will need to be addressed with a new support ticket.

As posted earlier, the ff.cfg file will need to be updated for this new firmware to work reliably with the Beeb. Firstly, remove the following old config lines if they exist in the ff.cfg file:

track-change = realtime
index-during-seek = yes

and replace with this:

index-suppression = no

Also, remove the USB stick from the Gotek, and whilst it's powered on, press and hold the two buttons for a few seconds. This will wipe any persistent configuration options from the Gotek NVRAM.

danielj

Postby danielj » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:22 am

Really need to pull my finger out and start looking at implementing the FM sector image code...

d.

KenLowe

Postby KenLowe » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:31 pm

I've opened up an new ticket to address the outstanding write issues we've been seeing:

https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/issues/67

Since I'm not having too many issues, I'm finding it hard to generate the errors others were seeing. If anyone else is having problems, please post on the github ticket I've opened up.

keirf

Postby keirf » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:44 pm

Hello everyone,

If anyone can reproduce errors on normal writes, particularly the sporadic write errors on Watford Diagnostics, please open a new ticket on Github. Leave issue 67 for that specific issue (seemingly spurious failure during format).

EDIT: I think it is danielj who is the one person to see a write causing a corruption. I'd be interested if that can be repro'ed on latest firmware: https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/is ... -370177730

Thanks!
Keir

danielj

Postby danielj » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:03 pm

Currently testing SSD/DSD support on flashfloppy:

https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/issues/16

Reading seems to be fine on 1770 and 8271 controllers (master/beeb) - write support is coming next

Join in the fun :) - download 16_1 from that thread!

d.

Ottly

Postby Ottly » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:08 pm

I've loaded 16_6 onto my GOTEK and downloaded the new Prince of Persia game (SSD). Works a treat. Also saved a game within Prince of Persia. That's all the testing I've done so far.

Another question. What do you use to create blank floppy disk images, SSD, DSD, ADL/ADF 640k,800k, 1.2Mb, 1.6Mb?

HxCFloppyEmulator lets you create the disk geometry but doesn't support saving them in the above image formats. The only working image that seems to work is HFE which doesn't work with the larger capacities. I currently grab existing disk images and format them on the gotek but want to know what others do?

Appreciate your feeback.

Scott.

danielj

Postby danielj » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:27 pm

For blank sector images, I just use DD in Linux/Unix to create a file of the right size! Then you can format it to put the directory info on.

lcww1

Postby lcww1 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:35 pm

linux dd is an option, but I find bbcim a bit more user friendly - it’s freely available and works on Mac/Win/linux - see http://wouter.bbcmicro.net/bbc/pc-software-whs.html

An even more user friendly option is DFS Explorer, which is available for both Win and Mac, and though it’s not free, I’ve found this utility to be good value - https://www.g7jjf.com/dfs_explorer.htm

Lastly, there’s a new kid on the block - see http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14844 - which is free though for Win only, and I’ve not yet tried this one personally

So, lots of options! :)

KenLowe

Postby KenLowe » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:52 pm

Please remember that the images must be fully padded out - 200k for ssd and 400k for dsd. I assume these apps will do this by default, but worth checking.

lcww1

Postby lcww1 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:59 pm

KenLowe wrote:Please remember that the images must be fully padded out - 200k for ssd and 400k for dsd. I assume these apps will do this by default, but worth checking.

good point! bbcim definitely does this, and indeed I use this utility to pad out disc images where this hasn’t already been done - I can’t quite recall what DFS Explorer does, I’ll have to check...,.,

vanekp

Postby vanekp » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:35 pm

DFS explorer is good but if you change pc or OS it wont run as full version anymore which is a bit of a pity is its registered to the pc/OS where you generated the registration code.

lcww1

Postby lcww1 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:30 pm

lcww1 wrote:
KenLowe wrote:Please remember that the images must be fully padded out - 200k for ssd and 400k for dsd. I assume these apps will do this by default, but worth checking.

good point! bbcim definitely does this, and indeed I use this utility to pad out disc images where this hasn’t already been done - I can’t quite recall what DFS Explorer does, I’ll have to check...,.,

Hmmm...... well, on my Mac, with DFS Explorer v2.0.0, using the New Disc Image command to make an 80 track SSD (200k), results in a file of only 512bytes, but using the same command to make an 80 track DSD (400k) results in a file of 409600bytes that is zero padded. Contrary to my previous assertion, bbcim -new file.ssd also doesn't produce a zero padded image (with bbcim 1.0 on a Mac), but if the resulting empty disc image file is fed back to bbcim, using either the bbcim -40 file.ssd, or the bbcim -80 file.ssd, command then a zero padded SSD of the correct size is subsequently produced. Phew, :-?

rharper

Postby rharper » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:39 pm

danielj wrote:I've converted the Stairway To Hell Collection to HFE format here. Seems to work! This is the original STH collection available for download on STH, so if there were any bugs in it, they ain't fixed. Let me know how you get on :)

d.

Hi Daniel.
I have done something similar for the Electron. Stardot says the files are too big to attach but they are the same or smaller than yours.
They are 38,37,13 & 11Mb.
How have you done it?
Is this an administrator privilage :!: :?:
Ray
Raycomp

danielj

Postby danielj » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:19 pm

Yes - they were uploaded directly to the server - large uploads aren't supported as we've run out of space in the past :(

You don't need to do this any more though! The new release when it comes out will support SSD/DSD directly :)

If you want to try a version that's supporting this check this test version from the issue 16 thread on github:
https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/fi ... f_16_6.zip

:)

d.

rharper

Postby rharper » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:27 am

These files are for Electron ADFS games for those with just an AP3 or Plus3+2nd drive and an HcX or GoTek.
I will see if I can host them on my own site and put a link on Stardot.
Ray
Raycomp

danielj

Postby danielj » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:20 am

ADFS will work natively too. If they're just ADF/ADM files etc and not hfe I can see about putting them on here?

d.

rharper

Postby rharper » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:40 am

The GoTek can now read the ADF files natively but although the HcX software has recently been upgraded to convert ADF & ADM files properly to HFE, I don't think the HcX can run native ADF/ADM files.
Ray
Raycomp

lcww1

Postby lcww1 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:59 am

rharper wrote:The GoTek can now read the ADF files natively but although the HcX software has recently been upgraded to convert ADF & ADM files properly to HFE, I don't think the HcX can run native ADF/ADM files.
Ray

Take a look at the HxC thread - it says that the current HxC does support ADF, ADM etc without conversion - http://stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14624&p=199583&hilit=hxc+gotek#p199583

I’ve not yet had a chance to test this out myself, but hopefully I’ll have some time to do so later this weekend........ :)

danielj

Postby danielj » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:05 pm

The flash floppy version I linked above supports all of the native acorn formats without having to convert to HFE. The only reason to use hfe is for protected discs, so it's only really relevant if you're kryofluxing originals in this case...

rharper

Postby rharper » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:52 pm

lcww1 wrote:
rharper wrote:The GoTek can now read the ADF files natively but although the HcX software has recently been upgraded to convert ADF & ADM files properly to HFE, I don't think the HcX can run native ADF/ADM files.
Ray

Take a look at the HxC thread - it says that the current HxC does support ADF, ADM etc without conversion - http://stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14624&p=199583&hilit=hxc+gotek#p199583

I’ve not yet had a chance to test this out myself, but hopefully I’ll have some time to do so later this weekend........ :)

Tried that update - gives Error 5, Bad UPD file header.
So am stuck with HFE files.
Ray
Raycomp

rharper

Postby rharper » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:00 pm

danielj wrote:If you want to try a version that's supporting this check this test version from the issue 16 thread on github:
https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/fi ... f_16_6.zip

:)

d.

Will this flashfloppy upd file work with the HcX since the HcX already has a bootloader?
i.e. copy upd file across, press Prev + Next, switch on, wait, hope all is well and you don't have a 'brick'
Ray :?
Raycomp

danielj

Postby danielj » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:19 pm

I believe it will. If it doesn't you can always stick the HxC software back on. HxC should also support the acorn formats without needing to convert to HFE though.

d.

rharper

Postby rharper » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:49 pm

danielj wrote:I believe it will. If it doesn't you can always stick the HxC software back on. HxC should also support the acorn formats without needing to convert to HFE though.

d.

At the moment my HcX doesn't recognise ADF, ADM or ADL files.
Ray
Raycomp

danielj

Postby danielj » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:50 pm

Is this an actual HxC floppy emulator, or a Gotek with the HxC software?

lcww1

Postby lcww1 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:58 pm

rharper wrote:
lcww1 wrote:
Ray

Tried that update - gives Error 5, Bad UPD file header.
So am stuck with HFE files.
Ray

ok, well take a look at the advice that I was given here - http://stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14839#p198774 - does that help?

danielj

Postby danielj » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:26 pm

That won't effect being able to update the firmware. I'm still not sure if we're talking Gotek or HxC floppy emulator here though? But please move discussions of issues with HxC firmware into the other thread anyway. This thread's for the open source stuff, which is now working fine with all the 8bit machines, 32 bit machines and all disk formats.

d.

rharper

Postby rharper » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:13 am

To finish off - I am using a real HcX emulator, it won't use recent HcX update files that give native support for ADF etc., it won't use flash floppy update files, I have opened a thread on torlus to see if there is a solution.
Ray
Raycomp