RPC loses power

Arc/RPCs, peripherals, RISCOS operating system & ARM kit eg GP2x, BeagleBoard
cmatt

RPC loses power

Postby cmatt » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:14 pm

My long-serving Risc PC (Kinetic, running 4.04) has never had a problem, but has suddenly started losing power after 2 or 3 minutes. If I switch off and leave it for a short while it starts up again, but repeats this pattern each time. I assume it’s likely to be the battery at fault, although the CMOS RAM settings are not affected. I’ve ordered a new battery from CJE, but is this a known battery problem or could it be something else?

philb

Re: RPC loses power

Postby philb » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:44 pm

If you mean it shuts down altogether, that isn't likely to be the battery. It is more likely to be the power supply. I've never seen a RiscPC power supply though so I have no idea what they are like. Shutting down after a few minutes and then working after a rest sounds like overheating perhaps. Does it have a fan, and if so is it going round?

The battery only serves to retain the CMOS RAM contents when the main power is off. If your CMOS is ok, as you say it is, then the battery is also probably fine.

RobC

Postby RobC » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:46 pm

I agree it's more likely to be a PSU fault. (However, if you're still using the original battery, it's worth checking it for leakage as they can damage the motherboard - post a picture of the battery area if you're not sure what to look for.)

Whereabouts are you? Maybe you could borrow a working PSU from someone to test it out? If you're anywhere near South Wales, I can lend you one...

cmatt

Postby cmatt » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:54 pm

Many thanks - it was the fan, jammed by too much dust! Although I'm surprised it powered off so quickly - is there a fail-safe mechanism that shuts down after 2 minutes if the fan isn't working? Certainly time I replaced the battery, so it was a useful warning...

Return to “hardware”