RiscPC lost network access

Arc/RPCs, peripherals, RISCOS operating system & ARM kit eg GP2x, BeagleBoard
DavidLowe

Re: RiscPC lost network access

Postby DavidLowe » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:16 pm

Nothing unusual in the way of IDE devices. Just the original 210MB hard disc. Currently it's on Risc OS 5.22, and I softload Risc OS 5.23 if I want to use ADFFS, then reset Boot to get back to 5.22 so I can restore network connectivity. Bit of a pain - but at least it works.

Actually, there is also a Cumana CD-ROM drive but I disconnected that as it was causing problems when I first extracted the RiscPC from the loft and fitted RISC OS 5 to it.

To be honest, now I have the Raspberry Pi I don't really need the RiscPC to be running RISC OS 5.x, and I'm starting to wonder if taking it back to Risc OS 3.x would be the better option - all I really want to do on it is image floppies with ADFFS, and run any retro-software that won't run on ADFFS on the Pi, or ArcEm on the Pi (or have the proper retro-experience, but with the luxury of gigabytes of storage!)

Is it just as simple as putting the old Risc OS 3.50 ROMs back in, or would I need to rebuild stuff on my hard disc? I can't find a lot of information on "downgrading" your OS, but I'm sure someone has done it before!

Then, I would need to get the network card going again! I believe I would need some more software to do that with Risc OS 3.50 - so I'd need to have that ready on the hard drive before I did the changeover. (Universal boot?) Or is there a way I can softload Risc OS 3.7 - I have bought the classic Risc OS collection, so have got the images available. Oh, and having flashed the network card with the update, would it still be backwards compatible to Risc OS 3.x?

JonC

Postby JonC » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:08 pm

I would aim for 4.02, has a decent amount of backwards compatibilty, network support and functionality over 3.x and supports long file names.
Jon

ajw99uk

Postby ajw99uk » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:17 pm

David,
I think the downgrade should be do-able though if you have re-initialised your HD with !HForm from ROOL, you'll need to re-do so that the old Filecore in 3.50 can understand the format. That means wiping the contents, which means preparing some floppies with the universal boot (there is a version out there pre-split into 1.44MB chunks for transfer from a PC).

You'd probably better have the !System update from ROOL to hand on floppy as well, plus
    a copy of !HForm from the 3.70 or earlier factory disc image, being sure to choose old format / no long filenames at the relevant prompt;
    a copy of !FTPc to get other stuff
Make sure this floppy is E/F format, not E+/F+ so 3.50 can read it!

But before messing with the HD, probably worth doing the ROM swap and seeing how a discless boot behaves (before you rebuild the RiscPC, in case you do need to swap back), with RO3.50 and the new CLib/EtherH. I have no problems with a ROOL-flashed EtherH in a machine normally running 4.39, so am optimistic about 3.50. 3.50 did not come with !InetSetup or !Internet but using the universal (3.70 vintage) !Boot will take care of that, then you can use ShareFS or !FTPc to grab other apps from your backup.

Have fun!
Running RISCOS: A5000, A540, R140, RiscPC, RPi B
Running *nix: SGI Fuel & Indigo2, RPi2, x86, amd64, RiscPC, A540, R140

ajw99uk

Postby ajw99uk » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:35 pm

JonC wrote:I would aim for 4.02, has a decent amount of backwards compatibilty, network support and functionality over 3.x and supports long file names.

Or 3.xx with Fancyboot? Actually, http://www.snowstone.org.uk/riscos/docu ... ewold.html worth a perusal for David anyway.

But yes, if 4.02 ROMs are available, they'd be a good choice given a longfilenames-formatted HD.
Running RISCOS: A5000, A540, R140, RiscPC, RPi B
Running *nix: SGI Fuel & Indigo2, RPi2, x86, amd64, RiscPC, A540, R140

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:31 am

I can confirm that replacing the slave CF with an HD in my case, gets the NIC working again. I've raised a new bug thread over on ROOL.

Return to “hardware”