RPC700 CMOS issue

Arc/RPCs, peripherals, RISCOS operating system & ARM kit eg GP2x, BeagleBoard
SimonWKing

RPC700 CMOS issue

Postby SimonWKing » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:44 pm

Hi,

I recently acquired a RPC700 which had the usual leaky battery, although it didnt look to bad. I removed the old battery, cleaned it up and replace with a new one from RS components - However I am still getting the red screen and floppy code 00010018. Holding Del or R does reset CMOS and it boots OK but I still have to do this every time.

Anyone had the same issue and managed to fix?
Attachments
IMG_3312[1].JPG
How I shaped pins to install
IMG_3293[1].JPG
Old Battery
IMG_3314[1].JPG
New Battery

danielj

Re: RPC700 CMOS issue

Postby danielj » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:52 pm

Hi there :) - first thing's first. When you cleaned the motherboard, did you do so with distilled vinegar where the battery had leaked? It looks rather grubby, it really needs cleaning up more :?. I suspect the cmos circuit is knackered, but you'll need to get it all neutralised and cleaned up before we can start looking at that bit.

For neutralising the battery goo, first take the new battery off, then use white malt vinegar and an old toothbrush. It'll fizz. Keep going until the fizzing stops and all the green is gone. Wash it well with distilled water (or tap water if you live somewhere with soft water) and leave it to dry somewhere warm for a couple of days.. Do you have access to a multimeter?

SimonWKing

Postby SimonWKing » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:45 pm

Hi,

I did wash down with water and used a small paintbrush to work it in but will get some vinegar and try that, thanks.

danielj

Postby danielj » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:33 pm

Plan. Basically if you don't neutralise it, it will keep eating away, water just doesn't cut it on its own.

d.