Mega Games Cartridge (MGC) MK II Menu Development

discussion of beeb/electron applications, languages, utils and educational s/w
daveejhitchins

Mega Games Cartridge (MGC) MK II Menu Development

Postby daveejhitchins » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:26 pm

I've started this new thread for the MGC MK II Menu Development. This will include all aspects of the software associated with the MK II contents.

As I mentioned here I'm not keen of the 'Look' of the current MMC Menus. Here are screen shots of those Menus:
BEEBMMCMenuScreen.png
BEEB MMC Menu
ElectronMMCMenuScreen.png
Electron MMC menu
RetroHardwareMenuScreen.png
Current MGC Menu

OK, I'm biased and not ashamed to say so :mrgreen: . . . There was way more effort put into the MK I Menu system than the hardware and I think it was worth it! Given the speed of loading, of both Menu and Games, we achieved on the Electron I think a Master version would be very acceptable. Plus I believe a common interface would more presentable!

If non MGC users would like to 'play' with the current MGC Menu (?) I've attached a zip containing two files - these will/should work on Master and Electron hardware as will as my development platform BeebEM3 [in Master Mode]):
(1) is the INDEX - Load into sideways bank #0
(2) is the MenuROM - load into sideways bank #1
From there select the ROMFS (*ROM) and then *RUN !BOOT
Note: You can use sideways pair #2 and #3 as an alternative.

I've been looking at the Indexing for the Menu system. Although different from the MGC Indexing (due to different hardware requirements) I don't see why it couldn't be adopted for the MK II using the MK I Menu. I currently don't know what the column headings are or what some of the data fields represent, but I'm sure someone will point me in the right direction.

I'm not asking anyone to do the Menu integration (but I wouldn't refuse any help, if offered), however, assistance with the Indexing would be appreciated.

Dave H :D

MGC MK I Menu.ssd.zip
(10.88 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

jbnbeeb

Re: Mega Games Cartridge (MGC) MK II Menu Development

Postby jbnbeeb » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:52 pm

Hi Dave
sent you a mail the other day - I'd like to help /chip in with adapting the MGC mk 1 menu to mk11...
I'm going to ..
ABUG North Halifax June 10-12