Help needed with software problem

discussion of beeb/electron applications, languages, utils and educational s/w
g7jjf

Postby g7jjf » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:41 pm

What you need to do now is grab copies of ROM's 0, 1, 2, 3 and 7.

To load this, load the sorvad program, then for each ROM :

1. Alter line 40 to say :
40 slot=0 (or 1, 2, 3 or 7)

2. Alter line 390 to say :
390 *SAVE "Slot0" 4000 + 4000 (or Slot1, Slot2, Slot3, Slot7)

3. RUN

Repeat this for each rom and you will end up with 5 ROM images on disc.

Transfer these to your PC, this time using the G option in XFER to transfer the whole disc in one go. This will create an .ssd disc image.

Once you have got this far, we will then try and load the ROM images into BeebEm to see what's happening.

If you can also send me the .ssd image as well, I'll take a look.

Regards,

Jon.

sorvad

Postby sorvad » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:01 pm

Also, once you get the ssd file to the PC you can use "DFS Manager" (available to download in the essentials section of this site) to inspect the contents of the files on a byte by byte level if you wish as it has a built in Hex Editor that works on single files within an ssd disk. Might be handy for resetting any required data in that sideways RAM image.

This is a piece of software I wrote but Jon (g7jjf) has written some much better disk utilities which you may prefer to use, but at the moment I think of all the utilities DFS Manager is the only one to offer a built in Hex Editor which may be useful in this situation. Comes with a user guide as well.

stevebarra

Postby stevebarra » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:01 am

thanks for the advice will set about trying to get these files/ROMS today
just one thing I will use LOAD to load the program from disc then use LIST to edit the program then RUN to run it for that particular ROM?

Then when that has transfered to disc LIST again to alter the program for the next ROM

g7jjf

Postby g7jjf » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:11 am

Yes

stevebarra

Postby stevebarra » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:51 am

Have switched to the exhibit BBC computer with the cartridge in the top slot
*CONFIGURE MODE 7
transfered xfer ok transfered sorvad ok
>*EXEC "SORVAD" (ran through program)
>SAVE "SORVAD1"
LIST "SORVAD1" (runs through to line 390 end of prog)
>CHAIN "SORVAD1"
Bad MODE AT LINE 10

Do I need to switch out of MODE 7 which I set to use the xfer program?
First line of SORVAD program MODE 3?

Steve

stevebarra

Postby stevebarra » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:42 pm

Have just been reading this on the BBC lives site any connection to the aboDownloading a BASIC program in file f:

*MLOAD f (loads the file into "safe" memory, then moves the data to a range starting at the load address)
*TAPE (disables disk access)
PAGE=&E00 (locates the start of the BASIC program for editing and/or running - here it is assumed that the load address that *MLOAD uses is &E00)
OLD (makes the BASIC language aware that there is a program here)
Now you can LIST, edit or RUN your BASIC program. If you get "Bad program", the load address might be different from &E00 - locate it using the *INFO command, then replace &E00 above with the correct address)
ve problem

sorvad

Postby sorvad » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:59 am

Mmmm... the Bad mode error indicates that you've not got enough memory for the screen mode you want to use. Which seems a little odd in a standard master. Page should be at E00 which would be plenty to load the program and switch modes. You don't need to switch out of mode 7 yourself, line 10 will do it for you.

If you do a control break can you actually type in MODE 3 and see if it switches to it. It should give you the same error again, if not then try loading up the program and running it again.

If you are still having problems what it is your value of PAGE, get this by typing

PRINT ~PAGE

(The tilde (~) just means show the value in HEX). It should be E00 but I suspect it isn't. If it isn't then one of the other roms must be reserving some memory and I suspect it may be the ROM software for this program as you've nothing else non standard in there.

If it isn't E00 then just unplug your ROM software with the command;

*UNPLUG 7

Then do a CTRL Break and try changing to mode 3, you should hopefully be succesful this time.

Good luck :)

stevebarra

Postby stevebarra » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:05 pm

Tried
*CONFIGURE MODE 3
*UNPLUG 7
*BASIC
>CHAIN "SORVAD1"
Program starts to run with the lines of square white pattern working its way down the screen but stops 1/3rd down with
Bad MODE at line 10

when it lifted the data using the spare BBC it was a full page of white

Tried
PRINT ~PAGE IT WAS E00

what else could be hogging the memory?

I can use grabrom if that data would be useful as it shows the ROMS? in use

sorvad

Postby sorvad » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:22 pm

Did you remember to do a control break after the *UNPLUG 7 ?

Also type in *CONFIGURE LANG 12

To set basic as the start up language. Do CTRL Break and you should just get the BASIC prompt.

Then load the program (not chain) and change the lines as mentioned by Jon (G7jjf) to reflect the rom your trying to capture. Then run it and see how you get on. It should not be blocks of white if your reading a valid ROM, only white if it's reading where no ROM/RAM exists.

stevebarra

Postby stevebarra » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:24 pm

I think "SORVAD1" that I saved from the exhibit BBC must have been corrupt because when I used "SORVAD1" from the disc made on the spare computer it loaded up and listed ok.
First one changed
40 slot=1
390 *SAVE "slot1" 4000 + 4000
saved "SORVAD1" THEN RE LOADED AND RAN

This showed on screen
Byte at line 220

*CAT 0
but no slot1 saved

stevebarra

Postby stevebarra » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:35 pm

Just tried after
Byte at line 220
>SAVE "SLOT1"
>LOAD "SLOT1"
>*INFO "SLOT1"
$.SLOT1 FF0E00 FF002B 000216 092

SLOT 1 IS THAT THE CARTRIDGE?

stevebarra

Postby stevebarra » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:01 am

I have tried the different slots on the exhibit computer and they all show
Byte at line 220

switched to the spare BBC and all white on slot 0 (nothing there) but for the other slots get the same
Byte at line 220
and then the program stops?

g7jjf

Postby g7jjf » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:33 am

You will only get the byte error if the value of slot is more than 255 or less than 0.

Can you confirm exactly what line 40 of the program says when you get the error.

sorvad

Postby sorvad » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:23 am

I was at Eureka yesterday and noticed that only one BBC Master was running this application and the other pod was empty, so guess Steve Barra never got the other machine fixed :( Wonder what happened, it wasn't replaced either.

Noticed a really old Apple Mac there is well, (the one's with everything stored in the really tiny monitor). We used to have some here at work and one was still in use until about 7 - 8 years ago (it was monitoring a network hub). They all got thrown away (alas) even though they worked fine. Bet they'd do nicely on eBay now !