Proposal: San Francisco Bay Area user group

meet fellow forum members at these classic gaming/computing events
8bitkick

Proposal: San Francisco Bay Area user group

Postby 8bitkick » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:41 am

Hi - this merits its own thread I think :)
myelin wrote:
atcurtis wrote: is there an Acorn fan/user group in the San Francisco bay area? I'm in the south bay area.

No idea if there's an official group, although I imagine if we keep mentioning SF on Stardot, more of us Bay Area folks will come out of the woodwork!

I'm in San Jose. It would be great to get a Acorn & BBC micro User Group going in the USA (assuming there isn't already)! On the STH map there are 4 of us pinned in SF Bay Area (also in Portland, Seattle on the West coast)... hopefully more will emerge... :D

Per other thread - I'm a fan of the Vintage Computer Festival West and the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, California, which hosts it.

As a start, I was thinking about applying to exhibit Acorn machines at VCF West next year. The more the merrier if anyone wants to come along / bring machines and represent 8)

Anyone interested?

atcurtis

Re: Proposal: San Francisco Bay Area user group

Postby atcurtis » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:41 am

I think exhibiting Acorn computers would be a great idea since so few Americans even know of their existence.

Would be cool if someone had an early A310 machine to show off an example of 1987 technology. I tried to snag a A3000 from ebay but it moved out of my price range.

myelin

Postby myelin » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:12 pm

Sounds like an excellent idea! I'd love to bring some of my expansion hardware (mainly for Electrons) along to VCF West next year.
SW/EE from New Zealand, now in San Francisco: http://myelin.nz/
Having fun making hardware projects for the Electron!
So far: 32k flash cart, USB cart interface, 3-cart expansion, Elk PiTubeDirect. Later: Dual ported ram cart.

8bitkick

Postby 8bitkick » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:17 pm

atcurtis wrote:I think exhibiting Acorn computers would be a great idea since so few Americans even know of their existence.

myelin wrote:Sounds like an excellent idea! I'd love to bring some of my expansion hardware (mainly for Electrons) along to VCF West next year.

Great! I’ve sent a mail to VCF, I will let you know when they respond. Electron stuff for sure! I have an A3000 I could bring but would love a 'proper' Archimedes to show. Of course the Beeb should be represented too.

Meanwhile lets see if there are any other Acorn users in the area...

Multiwizard wrote:Greetings, Wim... :-)

Greetings from California!

8bitkick

Postby 8bitkick » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:18 pm

Good news! SF Bay Acorn users are invited to exhibit at VCF West next year!

This year was excellent. Tons of vintage machines (Atari, Apple, Commodore, IMSAI, etc), talks from the likes of Chuck Peddle (designer of the 6502, Commodore PET...). But not too many Acorn / British computers represented in the exhibit, it being in the US. http://vcfed.org/wp/festivals/vintage-c ... ival-west/

Next year we can represent with some Acorn machines, and hopefully inspire others to join our ranks :D

It's not until 4-5 Aug 2018... so we have plenty of time to get organized...

Any other Acorn Users in the SF Bay / West Coast let us know if you want to be involved. Once there is enough of us we can do some events of our own...

Return to “upcoming and recent events & exhibitions”