Bletchley TNMOC Fix a Beeb Day: Sunday 13 Sept 2015!

threads relating to past classic gaming/computing events
jbnbeeb

Bletchley TNMOC Fix a Beeb Day: Sunday 13 Sept 2015!

Postby jbnbeeb » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:58 am

Hi,

A couple of months back, there was a news item on BBC about TNMOC (The National Museum of Computing) requesting help in fixing their Beebs.
They have ~80 Beebs, and use 12 of these Beebs at any one time to run "Classroom of the 80s" sessions with bus loads of school children each year.
I got in touch with them at the time, suggesting we Stardotters could help. Since then, there has been a bit of confusion and sporadic contact. It would seem the main issue was a TNMOC member leaving - who happened to be the one that put out the request and was fielding the numerous calls for help.

I'm conscious this is fairly short notice; this is the date that TNMOC have chosen, so please don't shoot the messenger :)

EVENT INFO:

Date/Time: This is a one day event on Sunday 13th September 2015, 10AM-6PM
Address: The National Museum of Computing - Block H, Bletchley Park. Sherwood Drive. Bletchley, Milton Keynes MK3 6EB GB
Cost: Free
If you would like to attend, you must register at this website...: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/fix-a-beeb-day-tickets-18326053720?aff=es2
Also, if you're going: per previous suggestions, please post here if you're going AND list the kit you will be bringing and the skills you have around repairing Beebs. Thanks :)

Code: Select all

- There are 20 places.
- The event is open to anyone who is able to help repair Beeb hardware (so this is not exclusively a Stardot event).
- Any one attending the event will need to bring their own kit.

- The event, and all the Beebs that need attention, will be in the Acorn room.
- I understand some of these Beebs are in a really poor state and only suitable for spare parts. 
- There are also disk drives and monitors which aren't working which we could take a look at if we want.

- TNMOC already have some common spares - capacitors for power supplies, and "common ICs".  I've requested details for what these common ICs are.
- If you think there are some parts worth ordering, let me know on this thread ASAP, and TNMOC can order them.

- TNMOC are OK for us to "play" with the Acorn kit in the Acorn room.  I'm not sure how far that offer extends; I guess so long as we're careful we should be fine
- We can see the rest of TNMOC at no charge [I don't think this offer extends to the Bletchley Park museum, which is a separate entity]

CONFIRMED
jbnbeeb (Jason) Kit: soldering iron. Skills: minimal! Will likely be of most help in simple diagnosis/testing
tricky (Richard). Kit: Soldering iron, gun, basic tools. Skills: soldering, basic skills such as re-capping power supplies
flaxcottage (John). Kit: Solder kit, Desoldering kit, tools, oscilloscope, service manuals, caps, fuses, BBC Master with datacentre, laptop, scanner. Skills: basic
danielj (Daniel) Kit: Soldering iron, oscilloscope, datacentre, 3.5" drives, eprom programmer. A crumpled up ball of tin-foil on a wooden spoon. Skills: experienced/competent re electronics
flibble (Peter) Kit: Soldering iron, RPC. Skills: basic
jamesclephanecameron Kit: Soldering iron
1024MAK (Mark) Kit: soldering iron, a multimeter and some hand tools Skills: competent electronics skills
dp11 (?) Kit: ? Skills : ?

TENTATIVE *I've taken the liberty of listing those who posted on the old date poll thread..

jms2
BigEd
Last edited by jbnbeeb on Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:44 pm, edited 9 times in total.
I'm going to ..
ABUG North Halifax June 10-12

BeebMaster

Re: Bletchley TNMOC Fix a Beeb Day: Sunday 13 Sept 2015!

Postby BeebMaster » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:59 am

Glad it's been organised, hope it goes well. I won't be able to make it (probably a good thing since normally repair+BeebMaster=bang according to you lot) as ironically I will be passing by Milton Keynes railway station at about 6pm on the way back from the Proms !

tricky

Postby tricky » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:31 am

I've signed up, I will bring a soldering iron, gun, basic tools. My skills are limited, I can solder to a basic level and haven't killed any of my beebs yet. Was that the short of kit you were expecting. Does the museum invite included family?

flaxcottage

Postby flaxcottage » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:36 pm

Booked my place. :D

Bringing solder kit and tools, oscilloscope (not that I know how to use it!! :lol: ) servicing manuals, some BBC PSU repair caps and fuses and desoldering station to remove chips.

Also bringing my data centre master, VDU and dual 5.25"/3.5" FDD, laptop and scanner just in case I get exposed to some interesting educational titles. :D [-o< I return I'll swap a DVD of the current FlaxCottage Archive.
- John

Currently running Level 4 Econet with BBC B, BBC B+ 128K, Master 128K, 4Mb A3000, 4Mb A3020, 4Mb A4000, 4Mb A5000 dual FDD; UK101; HP41CX setup; Psion 3a, 3mx and 5mx; Z88; TI-58c, TI-59 and printer, HP-16C programmer's calculator

danielj

Postby danielj » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:20 pm

I've just signed up - will be bringing soldering iron and associated oddments, as well as scope/data centre/3.5" floppy drives. Best stick a RAMFS rom in my box of bits too...

I'll also bring along an eprom programmer which can test 74ls ICs.

d.

flibble

Postby flibble » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:36 pm

I've booked, I've got soldering iron and gear and have successfully done the PSU x2 cap replacements before.

I'll also pack my RPC on the offchance I get to image some of TNMOC ex-Acorn Ltd machines :)

daveejhitchins

Postby daveejhitchins » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:55 pm

I had been looking forward to this, however, I don't think I'll be able to make it :? Youngest daughter's wedding on the 5th. The week after will be spent ferrying relatives back to their homes. The week after would have been ideal . . .

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

jbnbeeb

Postby jbnbeeb » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:10 pm

Hi,

Sorry you can't make it Dave H

Thanks for all the responses thus far! I'll put up an attendee type list at top of thread like we do for the ABUG meets shortly.

Cheers,
jbnbeeb
I'm going to ..

jbnbeeb

Postby jbnbeeb » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:59 am

Now added attendee list in first post. Will keep this maintained.
I'm going to ..

flibble

Postby flibble » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:26 pm

Oh, seeing the list above my name is Peter Howkins :)

Prime

Postby Prime » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:05 pm

Unfortunately I'm probably not going to be able to make it, as Lesley is going into hospital the next day.

If you get a chance and anyone has the equipment with them, a dump of any ROMS they have in their System type machines would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Phill.

danielj

Postby danielj » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:07 pm

Phill - dare I ask - are they the same slightly obscure ROM type that lives in the Atom? I don't think my programmer will read them :(

d.

Prime

Postby Prime » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:38 pm

danielj wrote:Phill - dare I ask - are they the same slightly obscure ROM type that lives in the Atom? I don't think my programmer will read them :(

I believe that they are 2516 and 2532s You can read them as 2716 and 2732, but you'd need to make up a little adapter as a couple of Address lines are on different pins.

Cheers.

Phill.

jbnbeeb

Postby jbnbeeb » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:11 pm

Added a tentative section to top post..

Any more peeps want to attend?...
I'm going to ..

Elminster

Postby Elminster » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:38 am

I cant get to anything Beeb or soldering related at present as full scale house refurbishment going on (which also why I am not on here much at the moment), which pretty much makes me unavailable for Sept, should have all happened earlier but running a month behind schedule.

Too much to do , not enough time, so probably give this time a miss.

jamesclephanecameron

Postby jamesclephanecameron » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:31 pm

Hi All,

I'll be there :) (very excited!)

I'll have the usual tools with me, plus I happen to have a working Beeb PSU going spare so if any of them need a straight swap out we can go for that and repair the broken one on its own. I also have a box of spare keys.

I will also be bringing some tapes and disks for testing.

Talking to the technicen there they apparently have quite an array of drives and monitors that are known to be working so that should help with testing.

Does anyone have and fancy bringing a ROM writer and spare ROMs in case we're looking at damaged or missing OS/BASIC chips?

See you all on the 13th :D

danielj

Postby danielj » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:15 pm

I'm bringing an eprom programmer, but I'm not bringing eproms to program... I'd hope they'd have some (someone should probably bring an eraser!). :D

-> Don't use your spare parts on their machines though, by the sounds of it there should be enough pickings from the dead ones that they have!

d.

jamesclephanecameron

Postby jamesclephanecameron » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:22 pm

danielj wrote:-> Don't use your spare parts on their machines though, by the sounds of it there should be enough pickings from the dead ones that they have!

Fair point, I'll just bring the test software.

jamesclephanecameron

Postby jamesclephanecameron » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:26 pm

FYI, I think the thread's already covered most of this but I've had these answers from Owen at TNMoC ...

Q: Are all the machines the Model B (as seen in the event picture you put up) or are there Model As, B+s and Masters as well?
A: All the Beebs will be to a Model B specification. If there are extras in it then we tend to remove them to bring them back to a vanilla specification.

Q: How many machines are due to be repaired? Are you expecting to assign one or more machines per person or will we be pairing/grouping?
A: We estimate that there will be 50+ machines available for repair, but they don’t all have to be done! We would rather have one good quality fix than several rushed ones.

Q: Does each machine have any or all of the following: a monitor, a tape drive, a disc drive?
A: We will provide a sufficient number of monitors/disc drives, etc for testing.

Q: Your instructions say to bring my own tools, this can include everything from screwdrivers, soldering iron and multimeter to test cables and components (such as drives and ROMs that are known to be working). Would all of these be required/needed or are there any items that you already have that can be used?
A: The main bulk of the work will be in changing capacitors in PSUs and replacing keys on keyboards. There maybe other faults but generally the Beebs are pretty reliable. So bring enough tools for this plus anything else you think will be useful to you.

Q: Finally, is there any software you would like to have on each machine? If so, I can track down and produce copies now rather than trying to do so on the day.
A: We try to keep the Beebs to a vanilla specification, which means BBC Basic, OS and a DFS. There shouldn’t be a need for any other software on the unit. If you have any test software that you feel would be useful to you then by all means being it along.

danielj

Postby danielj » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:50 pm

jbn =-> it's probably worth them getting some soldamop green in if they don't have a reasonable quantity already!

d.

helpful

Postby helpful » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:14 pm

I have not booked because my hardware repair skills are minimal, so I wouldn't want to take up a space that could be given to someone more useful! However I will probably come along on the day as a normal paying visitor and pop in to say hello to everyone. (Although if there are any spaces left this time next week I might grab one anyway!)

flibble wrote:I'll also pack my RPC on the off chance I get to image some of TNMOC ex-Acorn Ltd machines :)

Maybe they'll let you get at their Phoebe hard disc!

Elminster wrote:...unavailable for Sept...

But back in time for the London Show on 24th October? :-)

Bryan.
RISC OS User Group Of London - http://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/
RISC OS London Show - http://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/

danielj

Postby danielj » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:08 pm

Bryan, free tickets for the first 80 people who sign up online for the 13th September - check the nmoc website!

d.

helpful

Postby helpful » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:57 pm

Hah, I was just about to post about that too!

Booked :-)
RISC OS User Group Of London - http://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/
RISC OS London Show - http://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/

SimonSideburns

Postby SimonSideburns » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:31 pm

I'd love to attend, but my concern is they are looking for experienced persons.

I'm experienced in many things, but diagnosing and fixing electronics is not one of them.

I can certainly be pointed to a component and hopefully desolder it and replace it, but finding out that it was faulty in the first place isn't something I've had much experience of.

If there are spare places once all the 'professionals' have taken their place, then I am available, but as to how much help I can be, well, that's the million dollar question.

I have a Weller soldering station, soldering iron, hand tools, etc.

I suppose that means put me on the tentative list.

I haven't registered to become a volunteer. On the form that has to be filled in, it asks for contact details of referees. I am a full time carer which therefore means I am employed, of sorts, by the Government. Do I fill the form in with the contact details of the Prime Minister :lol:
I'm writing a game where you can change your character from a Wizard to a monkey to a cat.

Well, Imogen that!

jms2

Postby jms2 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:13 am

I'm interested in going, and I certainly have the skills needed for changing out caps and keys.

However, I've got two questions:

1) Being a Sunday, the trains are terrible and I can't get there before 12 (at best). I wouldn't want to take the place of a "full day person" if I can only do half a day, but if not all the places are taken could I come along for a bit?

2) My son (12) was interested in coming along as an assistant (ie holding my solder for me!) Is that allowed?

John

firthmj

Postby firthmj » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:39 am

Sadly Sundays are generally impossible for me - I'd have to be back at home by 4pm for child sitting.

Hopefully enough more capable people than me will be there for it to be successful!

M
Had fun at the
Meeting 13th May 2017

jbnbeeb

Postby jbnbeeb » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:22 pm

Hi - there are 9 places left. I suggest you register two (free) event tickets here for both you and your son.. I wouldn't worry about full day persons etc as it doesn't look like all 20 places will be filled unless there is a last minute surge.

registration link:
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/fix-a-beeb-day-tickets-18326053720?aff=es2

Please post here to let me know when you've registered and I'll add you to list in first post above..
jms2 wrote:I'm interested in going, and I certainly have the skills needed for changing out caps and keys.

However, I've got two questions:

1) Being a Sunday, the trains are terrible and I can't get there before 12 (at best). I wouldn't want to take the place of a "full day person" if I can only do half a day, but if not all the places are taken could I come along for a bit?

2) My son (12) was interested in coming along as an assistant (ie holding my solder for me!) Is that allowed?

John
I'm going to ..

jbnbeeb

Postby jbnbeeb » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:47 pm

I'll be there :) (very excited!)

Hi James. Added you to the list at top of thread! See you there :)

All:
1 week to go! :D
9 places left! :o So if you're interested and can make it down and haven't yet registered, please see notes in first post, register and then please let me know by posting in this thread..

Ta

jbnbeeb
I'm going to ..

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:58 pm

I've signed up.
Not sure what time I will be arriving.

Have not yet decided what I will be bringing. But it will include my own soldering iron, a multimeter and some hand tools.

My skills (is this the point where I am suppose to be modest? O:) ).
Soldering and general work with electronic components.
Using test gear (multimeters, logic probes, 'scopes etc).
Tracing circuits on a real board with the aid of a schematic.
Fault finding (note that I am not a Beeb/Acorn specialist, I work in industrial systems).

If the main work load is replacing capacitors in Beeb PSU's, I will bring a larger tip for my soldering iron.

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

daveejhitchins

Postby daveejhitchins » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:46 pm

1024MAK wrote:My skills (is this the point where I am suppose to be modest? O:) ).
Soldering and general work with electronic components.
Using test gear (multimeters, logic probes, 'scopes etc).
Tracing circuits on a real board with the aid of a schematic.
Fault finding (note that I am not a Beeb/Acorn specialist, I work in industrial systems).
I think you're going to struggle, Mark :lol:

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

Return to “past events & exhibitions”