The main event days will be Sat 20th and Sun 21st June 2015 (10am till late on Saturday, 10am till 5pm on Sunday).
There are a lot of interesting (and in some cases, very rare) items of Acorn/BBC gear currently at the venue. These will generally be packed away for the weekend (to make room for member's own equipment) but if anybody would like to come down on the Friday afternoon to have a tinker/play with some of the bits - we'll be there from 2pm on the 19th. If there are enough people about on the Friday then we could go for the traditional curry on the Friday evening. Edit: Curry night confirmed for 8pm at Spice Valley.
There is no cost for this event!
If you would like to register your attendance, please post in this thread and drop me a PM for location details. If you would like to come but cannot commit 100%, then please state that your interest is tentative.
If you need somewhere to stay, then Holiday Inn Bolton is just around the corner (about half a mile away) and is currently showing double or twin rooms at £57 for each of the Friday and Saturday nights (so to keep costs down you could always share a twin with another member): http://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/gb ... oteldetail
ABug meetups are open to enthusiasts of the BBC Micro, Acorn Electron, Atom and Archimedes/RISC OS machines - and typically involve:
- members bringing their own hardware to set up and show off**
- time spent working on hardware and programming/games projects
- exchange of ideas/knowledge
- upgrade and repair of poorly Acorn machines
- collaborative work on community projects, such as software preservation, preparation/planning for displays at events etc.
- sale of items by members (not guaranteed, but there are often opportunities to buy bits)
- general socialising, food/drink and the odd hi-score competition!
** = please ensure that any hardware you bring that features the RIFA/Paper-type capacitors with a tendency to go POP (e.g. Beebs) have had the caps changed!
The room contains ...
Lots of spare monitors/screens (including cables) which members can borrow if they do not have the capability to bring a screen with them:
Super-fast free wireless internet for all visitors, via the dedicated ABug Wifi Network:
Complimentary soft drinks, snacks and most importantly TEA courtesy of our super host, super Gary:
The meet-ups are very informal and are pretty much open-ended, but at some events there may be an additional focus on one or more particular areas. At the June meet we'll be looking to:
- Pick up where we left off at the last meeting in terms of advancing the StarDot archive project by formulating an "Acorn Preservation Team"
- As per jbnbeeb's summary of the Retro Software display at PLAY Blackpool, the pool of community Beebs/Disk drives for general event use is in need of some TLC - so we'll be looking to get some of these fixed up and tested
- Create an Econet network at the venue using the various Econet bits and bobs that we have lying around
We're looking at limiting this first meet to 20 members, so please register your interest now!
- Gar2293 (Gary) Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday evening
- Arcadian (Dave) Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday evening
- flaxcottage (John) Arriving Saturday, leaving Saturday
- daveejhitchins (Dave) Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday evening
- ukretrogamer (Mark) Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday evening
- beebmaster (Ian) Saturday + Sunday?
- jgharston (Jonathan) Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday evening
- danielj (Daniel) Saturday
- leenew (Lee) Saturday
- billcarr (Michael) Saturday