AMCS is alive !

chat about arc/risc pc gaming & RISC OS software here (NOT the core OS!)

Related forum: adventures

Zarchos

AMCS is alive !

Postby Zarchos » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:29 pm

qUE

Re: AMCS is alive !

Postby qUE » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:39 pm

Haha, beat me to it!

It's actually been alive for over 10 years, but hey, it's available to the public now :)

-

AMCS - the Advanced Music Construction System

Realtime MIDI/Audio Music Sequencer

The Acorn Archimedes A3000 free versions are now available for download from our website - http://amcs.3rdevent.net

Merry Christmas!
Attachments
SCREEN00.GIF
Basic Screenshot

qUE

Postby qUE » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:13 pm

Acorn A3000 free versions of AMCS (b17042015dt) now live, archive downloads are available on our website - http://amcs.3rdevent.net

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:28 pm

CAUTION: Do not attempt to run any revision of AMCS on a system other than what is stated as compatible. Doing so may result in loss of data or a system failure.

What on earth is it doing to cause that? Probably a daft question based on that statement, but will the A3000 version work on an A310?

I may documentation on the EMR MIDI interface somewhere if you're interested, I can't be certain though - it's been 28 years since I was involved in the Podule driver.

qUE

Postby qUE » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:09 pm

Jon, it's just a legal precaution because I didn't want to hear "Wah!, lost my data when I ran it on another Acorn model". I suspect the A3000 version will run on similar systems, but I don't have those systems to test it so I couldn't say for sure. You're welcome to try it although it's at your discretion ;)

I gather the EMR interface is just an ACIA IC at a certain address, if you can name the IC model and it's base address, I could probably chuck the handler together. I still won't be able to tell you if it'll work with a A310 though soz.

qUE

Postby qUE » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:17 am

New free versions of AMCS (b11122015dt) MIDI/audio sequencer, now available for download from the website >>> amcs.3rdevent.net

qUE

Postby qUE » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:40 pm

New free versions of AMCS (b25032016dt) MIDI/audio sequencer, now available for download from the website >>> amcs.3rdevent.net

Now includes a Wondermedia 8650 compatible version.

dfeugey10

Postby dfeugey10 » Sun May 08, 2016 5:45 pm

Does the Wondermedia version support non Qwerty keyboards?
Do you have an eBay / Amazon reference for a compatible machine (Qwerty or not)?
I could buy one of these machines just for your software :)

qUE

Postby qUE » Mon May 09, 2016 11:06 am

Thankyou for your interest.

Unfortunately there isn't really a need to support AZERTY keyboards since AMCS has very little text editing in it, just naming items. Also VIA never released an AZERTY version of the Netbook AFAICS.

The device this runs on is a 7 inch (800x480) WM8650 800MHz 256MB Netbook. I'm certain these devices are generic, the only major differences I've seen is on the Tablets where VIA kept changing the ADC for the Touchscreen.
However, the Netbooks are in decline of availability which is a bit on a issue for me, although AMCS for this device is pretty much as Proof of Concept as the A3000 version.
A company called Chartronics have the same devices on Amazon, but they're a little bit pricey IMO.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/7inch-Laptop-A ... B005M1Y5WG

Finally, before you rush out and buy anything for AMCS, I'll confess the free versions are crippled.
There is no filer and it has a time limit of 24 hours on it's use (to prevent just leaving the device powered by battery)

The actual product destination for the system is either an Allwinner, Rockchip or similar open bootloader Tablet. Our main problem is that everything about these Taiwanese/Chinese devices is generally undocumented and in most cases even Android/Linux functions poorly on them. This creates a huge amount of work for us reverse engineering the devices and makes releases slow to fruitation.

dfeugey10

Postby dfeugey10 » Mon May 09, 2016 12:03 pm

There are easy to find in France, but Azerty only. Example:
https://www.leboncoin.fr/informatique/8 ... tm?ca=12_s

Of course, I could also use it under the excellent ArchiEmu, but there is no support inside it for Midi devices (not yet).
RISC OS 5 itself has Midi support, but AMCS is not a RISC OS application :)

qUE

Postby qUE » Mon May 09, 2016 9:00 pm

Ah well, I stand corrected on the AZERTY keyboard, I've not seen them when I've researched availability of the Netbooks in general, but then if the generic faux leather usb keyboards come in AZERTY then it's no surprise really.

Can quite happily release a version with the QW, AZ, etc. keys swapped around, since the AZERTY layout will effect the "Virtual Piano". But we can't support any special key combinations or Accents I'm afraid.

I haven't tried ArchiEmu personally (I don't have the hardware), I've got AMCS partially working in Arculator but not Red Squirrel, again like you said a lack of MIDI output and the performance is dire on any of my old PCs :)

If you do decide to take the plunge and buy an AZERTY netbook, will add it to the to do release list. Sure I can find a keyboard map online somewhere :)

dfeugey10

Postby dfeugey10 » Tue May 10, 2016 5:47 am

If you do decide to take the plunge and buy an AZERTY netbook, will add it to the to do release list. Sure I can find a keyboard map online somewhere

I put that on my buying list :)
I haven't tried ArchiEmu personally (I don't have the hardware)

https://www.riscos.fr/raspberrypie.html

IMHO, an adaptation of AMCS to ArchiEmu would deserve a Pi. The Pi Model B is too slow for ARM3 emulation, but OK for ARM2 (under ArchiEmu). Rick Murray provides a module for USB Midi interfaces on RISC OS 5. Just need a link between ArchiEmu and the ROS5 Midi capabilities. ArchiEmu is delivered with a Basic tool that provides ROS <-> ArchiEmu communication. Perhaps it could be used (with some rewrite) to access native Midi from AMCS?

qUE

Postby qUE » Tue May 10, 2016 9:12 pm

Unfortunately Emulators and Development Boards like the Pi won't be supported at all, because ultimately it would be going backwards from self contained portable devices; ARM Netbooks and Tablets.

Whilst I appreciate the work being done on Pi and RISC OS, etc. it's not a platform for reliable and professional use. We would end up with far more support comeback than literally what route we've taken at the moment (proprietary OS), otherwise we would've chosen Linux to cover more hardware. But like I've stated before, even Linux support for real-time application is dire on ARM devices IMO. I'd be quite willing to show an Acorn A3000 completely obliterate a simple MIDI Sample Player Application on an Allwinner >1GHz Tablet with Android at the London Show :)

qUE

Postby qUE » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:52 am

Sorry for being a bit slack on announcements;

New free versions of AMCS (b25112016dt) MIDI/audio sequencer, now available for download from the website >>> amcs.3rdevent.net

Now includes a Wondermedia 8850 compatible versions.

qUE

Postby qUE » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:06 pm

New free versions of AMCS (b03032017dt) MIDI/audio sequencer, now available for download from the official website >>> amcs.3rdevent.net

Now includes compatibility for the Acorn A3020 computer (with 100Hz capable display).

Also check out music and mixes made with our technologies >>> www.invertedlightsource.com

qUE

Postby qUE » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:33 am

New free versions of AMCS (b16062017dt) MIDI/audio sequencer, now available for download from the website >>> amcs.3rdevent.net

Tutorial videos are also available on the official website and social media pages.

Zarchos

Postby Zarchos » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:40 am

qUE wrote:New free versions of AMCS (b16062017dt) MIDI/audio sequencer, now available for download from the website >>> amcs.3rdevent.net

Tutorial videos are also available on the official website and social media pages.

Upload them to YT please : it is good for the machines fame and to have more people join our community of enthusiasts ...
Be proud, show your work to the world ;-)
You will have much more visibility for your great product.
You want people to use is, don't you ?

qUE

Postby qUE » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:28 pm

Zarchos wrote:
qUE wrote:New free versions of AMCS (b16062017dt) MIDI/audio sequencer, now available for download from the website >>> amcs.3rdevent.net

Upload them to YT please : it is good for the machines fame and to have more people join our community of enthusiasts ...
Be proud, show your work to the world ;-)
You will have much more visibility for your great product.
You want people to use is, don't you ?

Ahead of you there :)

062017q is up, but the other is blocked atm for being ~2 minutes over the limit :(

http://www.vimeo.com/channels/1258352
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqoF82MhvgtjAD6vrAHk1AQ

(screen view is the A3000 btw)

qUE

EDIT: Sorted, first Tutorial is currently on Vimeo
Last edited by qUE on Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zarchos

Postby Zarchos » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:32 pm

=D>
If you could have the name Archimedes and or Acorn in the title that'd be great ...

qUE

Postby qUE » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:33 pm

Zarchos wrote:=D>
If you could have the name Archimedes and or Acorn in the title that'd be great ...

Unfortunately YT limits the length of the title. But it is mentioned in the description, since having a sequencer like AMCS running on 8MHz is really good for the embedded angle of the system.

Also parallel developing for the Archimedes helps keep the system grounded to efficency and prevents using extra CPU functions which will likely get depreciate in future, I've seen it happen too many times and infact Acorn computers were part of that, as the latest AMCS is a complete recode to detach reliance from the Archimedes platform, thankfully ARM still exists and we have new hardware alternatives.

qUE

qUE

Postby qUE » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:38 am

AMCS - the Advanced Music Construction System (amcs.3rdevent.net) prototypes and many classic synthesisers will be shown on Saturday 22nd July, the Synthesized exhibition at the Centre of Computing History, Cambridge CB1 3EW.
http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/ ... -July-2017

qUE

Postby qUE » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:44 pm

New free versions of AMCS (b20102017dt) MIDI/audio sequencer, now available for download from the website >>> amcs.3rdevent.net

Prototype systems (Acorn Archimedes A3000 & Wondermedia ARM Netbooks) will be shown @ www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk - Saturday 28th October. #Music #Production #Live #Studio #MIDI #Sequencer #AMCS #ARM #Acorn #RISCOSLondonShow

Return to “software”