Impression Publisher

chat about arc/risc pc gaming & RISC OS software here (NOT the core OS!)

Related forum: adventures

sirbod

Impression Publisher

Postby sirbod » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:07 pm

Does anyone have a patch for Impression Publisher 4.01 to remove the dongle check? Even though I have the item in question it's insisting "Hardware key not found" :roll:

Pre-empting the next question I'm going to ask...

How do you print a Publisher document to a PostScript file?

davidb

Re: Impression Publisher

Postby davidb » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:51 pm

I can't help with the dongle issue. :( For the printing issue it sounds like you need a PostScript printer driver to be running - there should be an icon on the left hand side of the icon bar if you've already run it.

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:13 pm

davidb wrote:you need a PostScript printer driver to be running

Where does one get a PostScript driver from? I've not printed anything on RISC OS since 1989, so I'm clueless!

It seems installing Publisher has also trashed my dev machine, which is nice. Can't get the damned thing to boot without a ton of memory errors :roll:

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:48 am

It took a good ten hours, but I managed to undo Publisher's !Boot changes to get the machine to boot again and figure out PostScript file printing. I gave up with Publisher and went back to Impression II which worked without a dongle, so almost there.

The final bit I believe I'm missing is the Greek3 outline font. If someone has that to hand, please could you send me a copy.

davidb

Postby davidb » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:14 am

I'll rummage around in the disk images I have when I get a chance. It could be two or three days before that happens.

Trapper

Postby Trapper » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:43 pm

I'll send you a PM soon.

I have a dev version of Publisher, a retail version of Publisher (both with a BASIC hex file that allows you to change the registered user name). I have an older version of Style, a no-key version of Impression II and a dongle required full software package (boxes, manuals etc.) version of the first Impression.

I also have ArtWorks via 1.5/1.6 on floppy disc (and ADF) in the original official CC box. I have updated my HDD installed version to 1.70 so the dongle check is removed.

My Impression I dongle has never worked for me. I could be doing it wrong, or it could hate me! I have only tried it on a RISC PC running StrongARM with RISC OS 3.70, 3.71 and 4.02. Dongle was not detected. I assume because of changes to the LPT1 port whilst I was away.

ajw99uk

Postby ajw99uk » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:26 pm

Trapper wrote:My Impression I dongle has never worked for me. I could be doing it wrong, or it could hate me! I have only tried it on a RISC PC running StrongARM with RISC OS 3.70, 3.71 and 4.02. Dongle was not detected. I assume because of changes to the LPT1 port whilst I was away.

An early dongle would be whart 1991? Earlier? Predating bidirectional PP in "new" A-series? Wonder if that's part of the issue? Or, did CC go dongle-free for RPC or RPC-SA owing to experiences like yours, I wonder.
Running RISCOS: A5000, A540, R140, RiscPC, RPi B
Running *nix: SGI Fuel & Indigo2, RPi2, x86, amd64, RiscPC, A540, R140

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:33 pm

Trapper wrote:(both with a BASIC hex file that allows you to change the registered user name)

That would be useful as my copy is currently registered to the previous owner. I've cleaned the virus off of it, changing the owner details and removing the dongle check were to be next, until I found my Impression II discs.

lcww1

Postby lcww1 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:06 pm

It's all Greek to me ........

GK3.zip
Greek3 font in !Spark archive
(13.58 KiB) Downloaded 15 times

helpful

Postby helpful » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:16 am

You might find PrintPDF useful - http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/software/printpdf/

Even if you don't need to produce PDF the instructions with it on how to setup Postscript printer drivers will be useful.

Bryan.
RISC OS User Group Of London - http://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/
RISC OS London Show - http://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:36 am

I figured it all out, all the original Alpine Software Impression documents that have been located have now been converted to colour PDF's. I do all the PDF work on a PC, so had no issues once I had the PostScript printer working under RISC OS. The only thing that threw me was having to add an Internet interface on RISC OS 3.71 before !Printers would load, not sure if that's a bug or feature #-o

Thanks once again to everyone that assisted me via PM, much appreciated.

Trapper

Postby Trapper » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:15 am

Crap, sorry Jon I complete forgot.

Do you still want my copies of !Publisher, !Style, !Impress II and !Impress anyway?

I'd be interested if you can hack the !Publisher re-register BASIC tool for !Style to use!

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:41 am

Trapper wrote:Do you still want my copies of !Publisher, !Style, !Impress II and !Impress anyway?

No need, all the Publisher conversion work is complete. Due to the age of the documents, I had to use a pre-dongle version anyhow, to retain the formatting.

Return to “software”