ADFFS 2.64 public beta

chat about arc/risc pc gaming & RISC OS software here (NOT the core OS!)

Related forum: adventures

sirbod

ADFFS 2.64 public beta

Postby sirbod » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:25 pm

If you'd like to test creating ADF floppy images with ADFFS, there's a beta build of 2.64 available for download. Here's a screenshot of it imaging disc 1 of Black Angel:

Image_floppy1.png
Image_floppy1.png (2.57 KiB) Viewed 629 times

sbadger

Re: ADFFS 2.64 public beta

Postby sbadger » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:40 am

cheerse Jon, I'll try and have a go with Inertia that i've been trying to get round to for a while
A3020| A3000x3| BBCBx5 | Electrn | Masterx4 |RiscPC| RPix3
A600 | C64 bbin x2|C64C | Toastrackx2 |QL | XB360&1X |GB |GBC |GBA |GBASP | DS | 3DS XL x2| MD | MS
Atari 7600 | PS1-2-3-4| PSP |Vita |SNES|GC|N64|Wii & U |Switch|ArcadeCab |Sony PVMx2

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:41 am

sbadger wrote:I'll try and have a go with Inertia that i've been trying to get round to for a while

I seem to recall Inertia has disc protection, so you might see some tracks reported as bad or protection. If it does fail, the next release, which I'm currently working on, adds imaging JFD files, which should image it correctly.

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:26 pm

sirbod wrote:
sbadger wrote:I'll try and have a go with Inertia that i've been trying to get round to for a while

I seem to recall Inertia has disc protection, so you might see some tracks reported as bad or protection. If it does fail, the next release, which I'm currently working on, adds imaging JFD files, which should image it correctly.

2.64c is now available with JFD imaging if you wish to try it.

bernie_pt

Postby bernie_pt » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:31 pm

I spotted the 2.64d update on JASPP forum, so decided to try it. I'm trying to image my (original) floppies with JFD. Read is OK, but the process freezes when compressing boot file(s) (it's what is written in the bottom status bar). Mouse pointer still moves, but clicks have no effect at all. ALT-Break stops the process and the machine is OK again. I have read the instructions and I'm using the files supplied with ADFFS (Cyber Chess, Magnetoids and Wavelegth). SparkFS (R/W) is loaded. The machine is a SA RPC600, 80MB of RAM, 2MB VRAM, RO 4.39 Adjust.
What I'm doing wrong?
Thank you.

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:54 pm

bernie_pt wrote:What I'm doing wrong?

Nothing, it's probably a bug. Try renaming !ADFFS.obey to see if it's having problems reading/compressing the boot script.

I assume you see the data being compressed, which is quite slow, but it's hanging on the final step which is to append the boot script. There's no error checking at the moment, so it might appear to hang if the location you're saving too runs out of space.

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:21 pm

There’s a new build available for download, with additional error checking and a few bug fixes for JFD imaging. It also now runs on low vector RISC OS 5 builds, although it’s hit or miss if known working games will work on low vector.

bernie_pt

Postby bernie_pt » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:45 pm

I have downloaded the last version, now it says "compression error". SparkFS v. 1.44 R/W is loaded and always worked fine.
I tried to compress to HDD (IDEFS) and RAMdisc. Is there some method to "drill down" this error?

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:56 pm

bernie_pt wrote:I have downloaded the last version, now it says "compression error". SparkFS v. 1.44 R/W is loaded and always worked fine.
I tried to compress to HDD (IDEFS) and RAMdisc. Is there some method to "drill down" this error?

It means ZLib returned an unexpected return value. If you look in !ADFFS.imaging and edit the JFD imager, search for the two occurance of the error and change it to show the result returned by the ZLib SWI a few lines earlier. Let me know what the value is.

bernie_pt

Postby bernie_pt » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:28 pm

Hello again. Problem solved (it seems so). I managed to image succesfully my copy of Magnetoids.
When investigating I corrupted my RPC configuration, and when rebuilding module set (plug/unplug) I spotted a copy of ZLib already in ROM.
Turns out that RO 4.39 has a copy of ZLib built-in and it is marked as version 0.35, so, as your module is version 0.02 it is never loaded.
Unplugging ZLib 0.35 solved the issue. So a question remains: why RO Adjust has a ZLib 0.35 and your module, which has a newer date, is version 0.02?
Thank you for the support.

Bernie

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:00 am

bernie_pt wrote:why RO Adjust has a ZLib 0.35 and your module, which has a newer date, is version 0.02?

That's the version number Jeffrey Lee assigned to his build of ZLib.

Glad you figured it out, as I was struggling to find a reason for it to fail. It's odd it fails right at the end when it closes the compression stream, the returned values are defined in an RFC standard but it seems to be returning something unexpected.

Phlamethrower

Postby Phlamethrower » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:09 am

bernie_pt wrote:So a question remains: why RO Adjust has a ZLib 0.35 and your module, which has a newer date, is version 0.02?

Because ROL and Castle/ROOL never resolved their differences and started sharing code with each other.

The ROOL version of the module, which Jon is using, is a re-implementation based around ROL's spec for the module. Since I didn't know what version number ROL were on, or whether there was any significance to different version numbers of the module, I just started the versioning for the ROOL version from the usual default of 0.01.

However I don't think any of this explains why ADFFS fails when using ROL's ZLib module. I think there are still some deficiencies in how my version handles task association compared to ROL, but if it gets as far as trying to flush & close the stream then I don't think that would be the problem here. So if you could edit the JFD imager to report the original error message as Jon describes then I think that would be useful.

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:46 pm

Phlamethrower wrote:if you could edit the JFD imager to report the original error message as Jon describes then I think that would be useful.

It returns -2 - "The stream structure was inconsistent"

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:47 pm

sirbod wrote:
Phlamethrower wrote:if you could edit the JFD imager to report the original error message as Jon describes then I think that would be useful.

It returns -2 - "The stream structure was inconsistent"

It's returned at the very first call to compress data, so doesn't actually compress anything with that version of ZLib.

EDIT: I forgot to add that is an issue with the Window bits, the ROL documentation states "The value of the 'window bits' parameter is the base two logarithm of the size of the window. It should be in the range 9 to 15 for this version of the library". The ROL Modules seems to want it as a negative value.

Sure we came across this before when I was adding decompression, totally confuses me as the documentation doesn't mention what effect negative window sized have, but it doesn't work if you follow the documentation and use a positive. Anyhow, the issue will be resolved in the next release.

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:33 pm

The fixed version that works on RISC OS 4.39 (and other ROL versions) is now available for download.

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:46 pm

sirbod wrote:The fixed version that works on RISC OS 4.39 (and other ROL versions) is now available for download.

I've rolled the change back as it was producing corrupt archives, ROL users will have to unplug ZLib. Please download 2.64g if you've previously downloaded 2.64f.

The compatibility issue appears to be a bug in the ROL version of ZLib, which doesn't appear to support RFC 1952:
deflateInit() and inflateInit(), as well as deflateInit2() and inflateInit2() with windowBits in 0..15 all process zlib-wrapped deflate data. (See RFC 1950 and RFC 1951.)

deflateInit2() and inflateInit2() with negative windowBits in -1..-15 process raw deflate data with no header or trailer. deflateInit2() and inflateInit2() with windowBits in 16..31, i.e. 16 added to 0..15, process gzip-wrapped deflate data (RFC 1952). inflateInit2() with windowBits in 32..47 (32 added to 0..15) will automatically detect either a gzip or zlib header (but not raw deflate data), and decompress accordingly.

Square Mezzmer

Postby Square Mezzmer » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:34 pm

Hi. I can't access your forum just yet, there is an error accessing my mails but I write this to you here.

I've noticed there is a virus warning every time I install official ADFFS 2.64, not the beta. I've taken it off my RISC PC, reset the machine and reinstalled three times over. The warning is something like "Shy virus has been detected and deleted." with advice to run a virus killer.

I'd hope it's not your app - I downloaded some ADF images from a ROM site to test so this may be the reason, though I'm not 100% on that. Yes, I used the official download.

I'll try one more time and let you know the result.

Square Mezzmer

Postby Square Mezzmer » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:28 am

I'm afraid to install the public ADFFS 2.64 and I haven't had any virus warning since, even using 3rd party ADF sites as before to test.

Again not 100% about it but - perhaps it's worth scanning the uploaded file on your server.

I'm running RISC OS 3.7 on a RISC PC 600.

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:26 am

Square Mezzmer wrote:Hi. I can't access your forum just yet, there is an error accessing my mails but I write this to you here.

I've noticed there is a virus warning every time I install official ADFFS 2.64

What's reporting the virus? Do you get the warning when extracting the ZIP, or when you run !ADFFS?

All my dev machines run VProtect 4.03, but just to be sure I've just extracted the ZIP to confirm there's no virus warning and scanned it with VZap, neither reported a virus. Scan your machine with VZap, as it's possible something has introduced a virus, or it could just be a false positive, best to confirm though.

I've manually activated your account as there appears to be an issue with mail - thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Square Mezzmer

Postby Square Mezzmer » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:38 pm

Great. Thanks for activating my account!

As for the bug/virus, it occurred when installing the ADFFS program. I retried many times. I suspect now it was a bad ADF, as I said.

Sorry if I created a kerfuffle!

Thanks.