ADFFS 2.64 public beta

chat about arc/risc pc gaming & RISC OS software here (NOT the core OS!)

Related forum: adventures

sirbod

ADFFS 2.64 public beta

Postby sirbod » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:25 pm

If you'd like to test creating ADF floppy images with ADFFS, there's a beta build of 2.64 available for download. Here's a screenshot of it imaging disc 1 of Black Angel:

Image_floppy1.png
(2.57 KiB) Not downloaded yet

sbadger

Re: ADFFS 2.64 public beta

Postby sbadger » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:40 am

cheerse Jon, I'll try and have a go with Inertia that i've been trying to get round to for a while
A3020| A3000x3| BBCBx3 | Electrn | Masterx3 |RiscPC| RPix3
A600 | C64 bbin x2|C64C | Toastrack |QL | XB360&1X |GB |GBC |GBA |GBASP | DS | 3DS XL x2| MD | MS
Atari 7600 | PS1-2-3-4| PSP |Vita |SNES |GC |N64 |Wii & U |Switch |JammaCab |Sony PVMx2

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:41 am

sbadger wrote:I'll try and have a go with Inertia that i've been trying to get round to for a while

I seem to recall Inertia has disc protection, so you might see some tracks reported as bad or protection. If it does fail, the next release, which I'm currently working on, adds imaging JFD files, which should image it correctly.

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:26 pm

sirbod wrote:
sbadger wrote:I'll try and have a go with Inertia that i've been trying to get round to for a while

I seem to recall Inertia has disc protection, so you might see some tracks reported as bad or protection. If it does fail, the next release, which I'm currently working on, adds imaging JFD files, which should image it correctly.

2.64c is now available with JFD imaging if you wish to try it.

bernie_pt

Postby bernie_pt » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:31 pm

I spotted the 2.64d update on JASPP forum, so decided to try it. I'm trying to image my (original) floppies with JFD. Read is OK, but the process freezes when compressing boot file(s) (it's what is written in the bottom status bar). Mouse pointer still moves, but clicks have no effect at all. ALT-Break stops the process and the machine is OK again. I have read the instructions and I'm using the files supplied with ADFFS (Cyber Chess, Magnetoids and Wavelegth). SparkFS (R/W) is loaded. The machine is a SA RPC600, 80MB of RAM, 2MB VRAM, RO 4.39 Adjust.
What I'm doing wrong?
Thank you.

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:54 pm

bernie_pt wrote:What I'm doing wrong?

Nothing, it's probably a bug. Try renaming !ADFFS.obey to see if it's having problems reading/compressing the boot script.

I assume you see the data being compressed, which is quite slow, but it's hanging on the final step which is to append the boot script. There's no error checking at the moment, so it might appear to hang if the location you're saving too runs out of space.

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:21 pm

There’s a new build available for download, with additional error checking and a few bug fixes for JFD imaging. It also now runs on low vector RISC OS 5 builds, although it’s hit or miss if known working games will work on low vector.

bernie_pt

Postby bernie_pt » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:45 pm

I have downloaded the last version, now it says "compression error". SparkFS v. 1.44 R/W is loaded and always worked fine.
I tried to compress to HDD (IDEFS) and RAMdisc. Is there some method to "drill down" this error?

sirbod

Postby sirbod » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:56 pm

bernie_pt wrote:I have downloaded the last version, now it says "compression error". SparkFS v. 1.44 R/W is loaded and always worked fine.
I tried to compress to HDD (IDEFS) and RAMdisc. Is there some method to "drill down" this error?

It means ZLib returned an unexpected return value. If you look in !ADFFS.imaging and edit the JFD imager, search for the two occurance of the error and change it to show the result returned by the ZLib SWI a few lines earlier. Let me know what the value is.

bernie_pt

Postby bernie_pt » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:28 pm

Hello again. Problem solved (it seems so). I managed to image succesfully my copy of Magnetoids.
When investigating I corrupted my RPC configuration, and when rebuilding module set (plug/unplug) I spotted a copy of ZLib already in ROM.
Turns out that RO 4.39 has a copy of ZLib built-in and it is marked as version 0.35, so, as your module is version 0.02 it is never loaded.
Unplugging ZLib 0.35 solved the issue. So a question remains: why RO Adjust has a ZLib 0.35 and your module, which has a newer date, is version 0.02?
Thank you for the support.

Bernie

Return to “software”