Quarndon Electronics

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
jms2

Quarndon Electronics

Postby jms2 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:12 am

I needed some bus buffer chips for my Atom and someone on here helpfully pointed out that Quarndon have them in stock. As I live only about a mile away from Quarndon's site in Derby, I thought I would pay them a visit. It turned out to be worth posting about on here, for reasons that will become clear.

I'd actually been past their building a few times but never stopped, because it doesn't look like they have any kind of trade counter. What's more, you always feel a bit silly asking for one or two components in a place that deals in bulk quantities. However a lady on the phone told me that they do serve customers on site, so I popped over there this morning.

The building was once rather posh but now looks run down. I couldn't actually get in because the door was locked, but after a while someone came to open it. Inside there is a semi-derelict waiting room and not a lot else, but the chap confirmed I could buy stuff and went off to find his supervisor. After a while a lady came and took my list, then a lotof time passed while they found the things I wanted. Obviously by this point I had decided that it would be quicker and easier to just use the website in future.

Then the lady reappeared with the buffer chips - and said I could have them for nothing as they are closing down shortly. :( Apparently the owner (and founder) died recently and there is nobody who wants to carry on the business. This is obviously really sad news for the people who work there (I guessed about 5) and it's sad to see such a well known and respected company cease trading.

So anyway... I asked whether they are still taking website orders, and basically they are - but not for much longer (until June I think). If you need any items which are only available from Quarndon (or if you're in a position to negotiate a deal on a lot of stuff), I suggest you get in touch with them.

1024MAK

Re: Quarndon Electronics

Postby 1024MAK » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:40 am

That is disappointing news :(

They do/did carry a wide range of semiconductors (and various other items) and I have been using them for some time now since coming across a member posting a link on this forum to their web site.

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

danielj

Postby danielj » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:44 am

Sad for the guys working there :( Just placed a commemorative order for some bits and bobs. There was a period when they were haemorrhaging eproms at ridiculously good prices.

d.

davidb

Postby davidb » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:09 am

I've never bought anything from them, but that's very sad to hear. :(

I note that they still have 5 1/4" floppies in stock for anyone that needs to top up their own supply of them.

danielj

Postby danielj » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:30 am

High density though - so be warned!
:D

d.

paulv

Postby paulv » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:43 pm

It was MartinB who made me aware of Quarndon Electronics a few years ago for those hard to find 74LS variants that have long since been discontinued in through hole form. In fact I posted a link to them only weeks ago for that very reason as the Arcs CMOS chip is no longer manufactured and Quarndon were the only source I could find.

Great company with a great service. It's sad to see them go :(

Paul

lazarusr

Postby lazarusr » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:42 pm

That's really sad. I too had only discovered them last year. They stocked quite a few old, hard to find components that I used for my Apple-1 project. Great pity.

dorissa

Postby dorissa » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:55 pm

Hello

I worked at Quarndon Electronics Ltd for 30 years until it finally closed. I am the person who assisted the gentleman in the post above.

I am now working for a new company who actually used to be a customer of Quarndon Electronics and was disappointed like the rest of you that we had to close. On a positive note they have now set up a new division within there organisation called Quarndon Components who can and will be more than happy to assist you in the future.

This is a new venture and we are currently working on the website and stock profile, we do have a huge stocking profile that will be available to order via the website so please keep your eyes peeled for the new site.

www.quarndoncomponents.com (note:- not live as yet)
The company may be new but the work ethic remains the same.

Many thanks

paulb

Postby paulb » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:47 pm

dorissa wrote:I worked at Quarndon Electronics Ltd for 30 years until it finally closed. I am the person who assisted the gentleman in the post above.

I am now working for a new company who actually used to be a customer of Quarndon Electronics and was disappointed like the rest of you that we had to close. On a positive note they have now set up a new division within there organisation called Quarndon Components who can and will be more than happy to assist you in the future.

This sounds like good news! I wasn't a customer, but it seemed that there was an interesting selection of components, and then we heard that the company was closing down. One thing I think I may have struggled with, with regard to the old Web site, was finding things of interest. To be fair, a lot of sites categorise things in ways that make the user hunt around in lots of places for certain things, and when the search function doesn't work, it's too easy to give up and go elsewhere. I also remember that the site may have been a bit slow, which was also a bit frustrating.

Anyway, it's good to hear that you have a new role in this venture, and I wish you every success.

jms2

Postby jms2 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:07 pm

dorissa wrote:Hello

I worked at Quarndon Electronics Ltd for 30 years until it finally closed. I am the person who assisted the gentleman in the post above.

That's great news! Good luck with the new company and full marks for tracking down enthusiasts like us on here!

paulv

Postby paulv » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:28 pm

Best retro related news I've heard all week :D =D>

Paul

danielj

Postby danielj » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:09 pm

Likewise! Quarndon saw me right on multiple occasions!

daveejhitchins

Postby daveejhitchins » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:32 pm

=D> =D> =D>

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

Return to “hardware”