BeebSCSImini

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
flynnjs

BeebSCSImini

Postby flynnjs » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:51 am

A placeholder thread for people to raise any questions about the units that I'm posting out.

To kick off:

power. It needs power as no 5v is available on the 1MHz bus.

The BeebSCSI mini has space for a three pin power connector. You will need to connect
5v to the centre of this and 0v to either/both of the outer pins although in practice the
0v connection can be left unmade as this is provided through the 1MHz bus connector.

I have shipped many BeebSCSI mini board with a 3 pin header. However, due to some poor
planning on my part, some units only have two pins populated and one of the outer 0v pins
is missing. IT is not required to function but in this scenario please make sure you connect
the 5v to the correct pin.

Orientation of GREEN PCBs
Pin 1 is marked with a small white arrow on the silkscreen. If fitting under a model B
with no ribbon then all the components including the SD card should be visible when fitted.
It probably won't fit the other way around but don't try.

danielj

Re: BeebSCSImini

Postby danielj » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:16 pm

Just to note, it won't fit under a master, you do need to use an extension cable (female-male 34 way IDC) or replace the header and use a straight 34-34 way cable.

For power on the Master, you may well find you're using it with the 80186 coprocessor in which case you're going to want the user-port for a mouse. Then 5v...I've used a spring clip to take +5v from the +ve side of R4 (the right hand side, looking at the keyboard from the front), passing the wire out of one of the holes between the IDC connectors, and then crimping a crimp terminal onto it. Clearly you can solder a wire on somewhere if you want and pass it out of the same place, or take +5V from somewhere else, but I'm all for not applying heat if I don't have to. :)

d.

simoni

Postby simoni » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:32 pm

I posted this in the sale thread, but just in case, I'll repost it here (as it pertains to everything other than support relating to than Jason's superb boards) - apologies for the re-post, but I hadn't seen this new thread at the time:

Just a note to all the new owners of BeebSCSI boards - The BeebSCSI project is completely open-source and open-hardware - You are free to view and modify the source-code as much as you like (in fact, I positively encourage anyone with the know-how to do so). The same goes for the BeebSCSI ROM which is optional, but lets you use the 'jukebox' feature to provide as many hard drive images as you can fit on an SD card.

However, if you are not a microcontroller/CPLD boffin then you are most welcome to request feature enhancements (and bugs/issues should you find any) over on the project Github:

https://github.com/simoninns/BeebSCSI

Simply open a new issue and label it as enhancement/bug/question as appropriate. I can't promise any time-lines, but I will do my best to work through any requests.

If you'd like a copy of the BeebSCSI ROM (or the boot loader image to re-flash the device) - simply go to the GitHub and click on the 'releases' link. This will take you to a convenient zip file of just the bits you need.

BeebSCSI also has over 70 pages of user guides, hardware guides and technical documentation available including a 'quick start LUN image' that you can simply unzip onto an SD card to get going without having to format the first LUN from floppy using SuperForm (as you would have to with a real Winchester drive):

http://www.domesday86.com/?page_id=689

The quick-start guide (and zip file) are here:

http://www.domesday86.com/?page_id=400#Quick-start

If you find anything missing from the documentation or had problems following the guides, please report this on github too - if it confused you, it will probably do the same to others :)

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:23 pm

Thanks Simon. A fair amount of bedtime reading there :mrgreen:

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

danielj

Postby danielj » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:35 pm

Simon, Jason - just to say these are excellent. BeebSCSImini + Flash Floppy GoTEK and now I've been able to ditch the datacentre (sacrilege!), use native versions of all the filesystems and have precisely 0 compatibility problems :) Weeee! :)

d.

danielj

Postby danielj » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:24 pm

Attached is a quickstart zip with DOSPlus and GEM already installed. I may update to PANOS containing in due course!

d.
Attachments
BeebSCSI0.zip
(1.49 MiB) Downloaded 30 times

Return to “hardware”