Smoking !

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
fuzzel

Smoking !

Postby fuzzel » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:18 pm

I've just fired up (literally as it turned out) my old beeb after about 20 years to rummage through my old games catalogue
and although it works fine there was a very worrying burning smell coming from the case. When I lifted the top cover off some smoke came
out so I switched it off straightaway. Any idea what this might be ?

1024MAK

Re: Smoking !

Postby 1024MAK » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:39 pm

Search this site and you will find it happens rather a lot... Either C1 or C2, or both in the PSU have failed. Both need renewing (and renew C9 while you're at it).

Shout out if you need help with this.

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:55 pm

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'm lucky that I've not heard a popping sound but if I intend to use my original beeb again I'll find someone local to replace the capacitors.
My main intention was to go through my old discs (I have about 40 home made compilations) and see if there are any missing games amongst them.
Annoyingly some of them which are admittedly a bit bent don't appear to have stood the test of time and won't load up. I suppose I could remove the inner disc and put them in a new sleeve but fortunately I've now found an old notebook where I catalogued my original collection so I'll go through that instead.

mw0uzo

Postby mw0uzo » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:27 pm

fuzzel wrote:Thanks for the advice. I guess I'm lucky that I've not heard a popping sound but if I intend to use my original beeb again I'll find someone local to replace the capacitors.
My main intention was to go through my old discs (I have about 40 home made compilations) and see if there are any missing games amongst them.
Annoyingly some of them which are admittedly a bit bent don't appear to have stood the test of time and won't load up. I suppose I could remove the inner disc and put them in a new sleeve but fortunately I've now found an old notebook where I catalogued my original collection so I'll go through that instead.

Be careful using the old disks, only try to copy ones that are vital or there are no other source for. The surface degrades and becomes soft with time (and damp) and quickly rubs off onto the heads of your disk drives. One bad disk, and the heads will be clogged with oxide, stop reading and also wreck any other disks you put in the drive. The drive will have to be partially dismantled to clean the heads with IPA and cotton buds. It happened to me, cleaned them up, risked another disk because it had elite on, then had to do the job all over again plus it took several goes to get the drives working properly again.

Get some new, or new old stock known good disks and start with them and clean heads. :)

avtovaz

Postby avtovaz » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:09 pm

is it only the model b that needs the capacitors replacing or is it the master too?

danielj

Postby danielj » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:15 pm

Master too (although there's one slightly less common supply that doesn't have exploding X2 caps...).

d.

avtovaz

Postby avtovaz » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:44 pm

how do you tell which i have then? Also, is the kits the same for the b as the master?

danielj

Postby danielj » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:18 pm

You open up the PSU and look to see if it has caps like these:
http://www.retro-kit.co.uk/page.cfm/con ... apacitors/

And if it does, replace them :)

Get the retroclinic kit, it's the proper caps. Lots of the ebay ones are shoddy mystery makes:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262823081677

d.