Ferranti cell types

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
hicks

Ferranti cell types

Postby hicks » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:14 pm

Just read through the thread about the BBC Tube ULA reversing and in particular this post which shows one of the diagrams from Chris' ZX Spectrum book.

I'm interested in looking into the Electron ULA (few questions I'd like to find answers to) and the cell used in that matches the ULA6000 series cell discussed in Chris' book (peripheral cells differ however). I've read that book recently and in the back it also has an arrangement for a D type flip flop using four cells interconnected. Is anyone aware of any further images of standard cell layouts Ferranti used? I've seen a technical datasheet/book mentioned but could not find any sign of that online.

Revaldinho

Re: Ferranti cell types

Postby Revaldinho » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:03 pm

The Electron ULA cell layout is slightly different but the technology (current mode logic) used for making up logic gates is the same as the earlier ULAs. There is a ULA 2000 Datasheet on line here https://archive.org/details/FerrantiULA2000SeriesDatasheet which has a couple of examples near the end.

Here's another example, taken from "Automation of Design For Uncommitted Logic Array", F. Ramsay, DAC June 1980

DAC1980_p105.png

..and another NOR gate from "Semi-Custom IC Design and VLSI", P. J. Hicks (Ed.), Peter Pereginus, 1983, p.80

ULA041.png

R.

hicks

Re: Ferranti cell types

Postby hicks » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:25 pm

Thanks for the links :)