A new monitor in NTSC land

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
Lion

A new monitor in NTSC land

Postby Lion » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:27 am

Hello all! Been a while.

Since moving to the USA I don't have as much time as I would like to play with my 8-bit hardware, but I still like it to be in working condition.

I brought with me from the UK a small LCD television with an RGB SCART connector, which works well enough. Although I would love to have brought a Cub, shipping one to California would almost certainly have killed it. An LCD TV was small enough to carry over without too much trouble. American CRT monitors of the era of course only accept 60Hz signals.

But last week a small TV studio nearby closed down, and dumped a small mountain of CRT broadcast monitors onto Craigslist, so I went to pick one up.

It's a Sony, and what a fine looking monitor it is. Although running from the 60Hz power supply, it will happily display NTSC, PAL, and even SECAM signals.

I hacked together a cable to fit its BNC RGBS connectors and bam - a great looking picture!

IMG_0700.jpg

(The DVD player on top, connected over s-video, is to watch classic Doctor Who. ;) )

The next step is to try to replace the BBC's power supply. Currently it is connected to a 120-240 step-up transformer, which is not the most efficient solution.

danielj

Re: A new monitor in NTSC land

Postby danielj » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:45 am

There's a link you can make in the PSU to run on 110v:

viewtopic.php?t=5180#p47789

Lion

Postby Lion » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:47 am

Oh that's very useful! Does that include the Master 128 PSU?

danielj

Postby danielj » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:59 am

I think it should do. Get in there and have a look. Someone who's done this to a Master or paid more attention to the innards of the PSU when the lid was off will no doubt be along shortly :D

tricky

Postby tricky » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:01 am

Looks great,
sorry I don't know about the PSU.

dominicbeesley

Postby dominicbeesley » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:38 am

That's a tiny version of the monitor I use. Excellent quality and useful to be able to display all the standards. It's good for game development too...the EHT is generated separate to the line frequency so our doesn't blow up if you feed it out of spec signals and will try and sync anything remotely close to a signal.

I wish I could find one as small as yours. I had to move mine the other day and put my back out!