RGB to Component Video

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
mark.treleaven

RGB to Component Video

Postby mark.treleaven » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:34 pm

Hi everyone

Not sure if this has been posted before.

I am looking for a cable to go from the RGB output of my BBC Model B to the RGB Component Phono connectors. All the ones I can see online are all RGB to Scart, does such a cable exist?

I have a small collection of vintage machines and the majority of them have been converted with mods or cables to output to composite video.
I bought a composite video/s-video to VGA connector so I can use the systems with a spare LG PC monitor that I have laying around. It works, but not very good colour output as is problematic from composite mods etc.

so I have found this device that seems to convert CGA, EGA, VGA, YPbPr (Component) to VGA so I want to see if that improves the colour output from my trusty old beeb.

Composite/S-Video Unit to VGA that I am currently using - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

new device that I need the component cable for - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

crj

Re: RGB to Component Video

Postby crj » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:46 pm

Careful. You say "RGB Component Phono connectors", but component video over phono (RCA) connectors is seldom RGB. It's much more common for it to be the YPbPr format which is favoured in countries with NTSC.

If you're certain you really want RGBS on phonos, you can make up a lead to do that using just a few resistors, as described here, but I fear you're probably asking for something a bit more complicated.

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:40 pm

That device on Amazon looks like a GBS8200

That will work with the RGB outputs from a Beeb. See this thread for details :wink:

Also have a read through this thread :wink:

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

mark.treleaven

Postby mark.treleaven » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:57 am

Thanks for the replies

I think you are correct crj, the output on the beeb is RGB but the input on the amazon device does look like yPbPr. But there is also a VGA input on that device too, so may make up a beeb RGB to VGA cable to do it that way, then use the other inputs for the other vintage machines I have.

Thanks for the link 1024MAK, there is a diagram there for RGB to VGA, and I think that will be better via that board from amazon.

1024MAK

Postby 1024MAK » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:43 pm

A lot of the inputs on the GBS8200 board are just paralleled connections. So for example, with the multiway PCB connector (P11), the video input connections are connected to the video input connections on the 'VGA' input D-connector. You can use either to feed 15625Hz, 625 line 50Hz TV video standard RGB signals to it.

I don't use the phono/RCA sockets on mine, so I forget how they are internally connected.

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

Bat

Postby Bat » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:35 pm

Hi,
I'm trying to do the same for a different video converter.
For RGBS you'll need a 6pin din to 4 RCA for the BBC.
My device will take TTL levels if yours won't you'll need resistors too.
I purchased a HDMI to RCA cable and have cut the HDMI connector off to replace it with a 6pin din....
Cheers,
Gavin :)