The Oregon Trail (1978)

want to contribute an update to the archive? post it here!
lurkio

The Oregon Trail (1978)

Postby lurkio » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:58 pm

For some reason, I recently allowed Lee to badger me into porting Jimmy Maher's listing for the 1978 version of the classic educational text-only survival-simulation game The Oregon Trail from HP BASIC to BBC BASIC:

I wanted to try and make as few changes to Maher's listing as possible, so I had to use MODE 3, for its 80-column text display. (However, because there's less RAM available for BASIC programs in MODE 3, I did end up having to compress the main game listing using the good old Pack routine in the PRES Advanced BASIC Editor ROMs. If I hadn't, the program would have run on a Master 128 but would have been too big to run on a Model B.)

Here's some background on the program from a 1978 issue of Creative Computing magazine, where the Oregon Trail listing was first published, I believe:

By the way, this is the pre-dysentery version of the game.

:idea:

leenew

Re: The Oregon Trail (1978)

Postby leenew » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:28 am

Well done Lurkio =D>
Was this trickier than expected??
Why have you left it as Beta? - Do you expect there to be bugs on yonder trail?

I have to say, for such a simple game, it definitely has *something* that makes you want to succeed and have another go.
I am in bed feeling ill at the moment, so I don't miss the dysentery in the game. :-&

Lee.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:37 am

leenew wrote:Was this trickier than expected??

Well, the program was certainly larger than I thought it would be. (Hence the compression.)

leenew wrote:Why have you left it as Beta? - Do you expect there to be bugs on yonder trail?

I haven't thoroughly tested all the possible ways to die. Maybe other people can have a go..?

leenew wrote:I have to say, for such a simple game, it definitely has *something* that makes you want to succeed and have another go.

Agreed! I think it's partly because there's a clear time-limited goal, and partly because it's based on real historical events, which can create an atmosphere and draw you in (if you use (a lot of) your imagination!).

I am in bed feeling ill at the moment, so I don't miss the dysentery in the game. :-&

=;

Commodore

Postby Commodore » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:20 pm

Sounds interesting Lurkio. I'll probably have ago when I've finished fiddling with GAC, or maybe for some respite....

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:39 pm

Commodore wrote:Sounds interesting Lurkio. I'll probably have ago when I've finished fiddling with GAC, or maybe for some respite....

Make sure you stock up on those "Miscellaneous Supplies".

:D

Commodore

Postby Commodore » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:56 pm

Sounds ominous! I'm sure Oregon was pretty tough in the 1800s. I read they had some Bubonic Plague in 2010, so goodness knows what it was like way back then!

Return to “archive submissions”