MAME: Video handling

want to talk about MESS/model b/beebem/b-em/electrem/elkulator? do it here!
davidb

Re: MAME: Video handling

Postby davidb » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:50 pm

I've attached an archive containing two ROMs to this message. If it crashes with data on the screen while loading then you need to swap the ROMs around so that the other ROM starts first. Hope that makes sense. :)
Attachments
SouthernBelle-ROMFS.zip
(16.15 KiB) Downloaded 9 times

davidb

Postby davidb » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:55 pm

You might also want to try the other ROMs I posted earlier to see if they also work in Clock Signal, Thomas. ;)

tricky

Postby tricky » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:02 pm

Pernod wrote:...I'll be moving back to BBC video next...

If you have to add any debugging code to get the 6845 etc implemented correctly, it would be great if you could leave it accessible.
I did have to write a mini sim to get some of my games working, but a debugger would be great.

ThomasHarte

Postby ThomasHarte » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:55 pm

davidb wrote:You might also want to try the other ROMs I posted earlier to see if they also work in Clock Signal, Thomas. ;)

Assuming this is of the smoothness intended, success!

I'm about to test Southern Belle, but have discovered a bug in inserting a second ROM. So will be back to comment on that in the near future. A screenshot of the tape version is attached. And, for the record, I make it 11 seconds of a blank screen before the menu appears. That's with fast loading enabled; I haven't bothered to check whether it's loading anything while blank but I strongly suspect not.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 17.52.08.png

ThomasHarte

Postby ThomasHarte » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:11 pm

Obviously this could very easily be an emulation problem, but having inserted the Southern Belle ROMs in reverse order so that they'd load, I actually got a worse-than-Elkulator output as attached.

So in the configuration I tried, the only ROMs present are the OS, BASIC and the two Southern Belle ROMs. No Plus 1 ROM is anywhere in the memory map, and neither is anything else. I don't know if that's maybe too artificial?

EDIT: actually, by eye, the ratio isn't too far off what you'd expect from a real-time clock/end-of-display split. Probably just coincidence?
Attachments
Southern Belle ROMFS.png

davidb

Postby davidb » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:53 pm

Interesting. Elkulator displays a black screen for a long time then shows the high speed run (demo). It may show a menu beforehand, but not 11 seconds after loading supposedly finishes, and I don't sit and watch the emulator so, when it finally shows something and I notice, that's what I see. I haven't tried it on a real Electron so I don't know what to expect, but it's a warning sign that you see something so different (and much quicker).

Recording a video of the tape version with my Elkulator fork, I see that the high speed run appears 3 minutes and 45 seconds after loading of the second file completes.

It's good to know that the MGC title works as expected for you. That's what it does on real hardware - you can't argue with that! ;)

Sorry to pernod for diverting your thread with this discussion. I hope you find it useful! We can take it elsewhere if you like.

ThomasHarte

Postby ThomasHarte » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:03 pm

Apologies from me too.

Based on a quick check: it is loading while the screen is blank. So that's the timing discrepancy. If I turn off synthetic emulator fast loading, it is indeed blank for several minutes.

For me, using the Stairway to Hell copy, it always launches to the select difficulty / load saved run / view high speed run menu. But if I sit and wait for about 30 seconds, then it launches into its automatic demo.

davidb

Postby davidb » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:43 pm

Just to finish up my side of this digression, I should say that I was loading using Elkulator's "Really Fast" loading option. Switching it off after loading the second file, I still get a couple of minutes or so of black screen until it finally shows the high speed run - no menu first.

Anyway, if either you or pernod need more test cases or ROM versions, just let me know and I'll try to oblige. :)

Pernod

Postby Pernod » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:51 am

davidb wrote:Sorry to pernod for diverting your thread with this discussion. I hope you find it useful! We can take it elsewhere if you like.

No problem, it's all relevant for testing. I tried your ROMFS version of Southern Belle and again just a blank screen, so very likely need to overhaul the tape interface. Very much appreciate everyone's assistance so far, and will return to the Electron after I've looked at a couple of BBC issues.
- Nigel

BBC Model B, ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.