Wanted: emulator with host file access (Econet & aund, maybe?)

want to talk about MESS/model b/beebem/b-em/electrem/elkulator? do it here!
hjalfi

Wanted: emulator with host file access (Econet & aund, maybe?)

Postby hjalfi » Sun May 14, 2017 9:49 am

I have a mad compiler project for which I'd rather like to use an emulated BBC Micro as the target. As it's a development project, I don't want to have to fiddle about with disks all the time --- I'd like to have the emulator have direct access to a directory on the host computer, so I can write files from Linux and then execute them directly on the BBC.

AFAICT the simplest way to do this is to use Econet; run a file server on the host computer, have the emulator talk to it, and then *NET, *I AM and everything should work.

I found aund as the file server: http://bjh21.me.uk/aund/
...and I found that BeebEm supports Econet (and that aund has direct support for it). However, after attaching one to the other, the results are... kinda crashy. Like, most network operations cause BeebEm to fall over with a seg fault.

So...

(a) anyone know of any other emulators with Econet support? (Possibly another version of BeebEm; I gather there are multiple forks these days.)
(b) ...or possibly any emulators with built-in file servers? (That would be such a useful feature that I would be amazed if nobody has done it.)
(c) ...or emulators with other ways of accessing host files? (It'd be quite feasible, if a lot of work, to write your own file system.)

I'm on Linux, by the way.

jgharston

Re: Wanted: emulator with host file access (Econet & aund, maybe?)

Postby jgharston » Sun May 14, 2017 10:19 am

hjalfi wrote:(c) ...or emulators with other ways of accessing host files? (It'd be quite feasible, if a lot of work, to write your own file system.)

BeebEm 4.14jgh with 'Emulator Traps -> VDFS traps' turned on. Select *VDFS and you see the host's underlying filing system. Not yet merged into the BeemEm source tree, but my build is here: BeebEm414jgh20170401.zip

Edit: It's been a right boon to writing BASIC code: write the code in BBC BASIC for Windows editor, save it to Windows filesystem, load it into BASIC inside BeebEm. :)

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

decle

Postby decle » Sun May 14, 2017 5:05 pm

Hey,

This feature is also of interest to me. Do you know if there are plans, or ongoing work, to bring this feature to the Linux version of Beebem? Or indeed to bring the Linux version up to date?

Thanks

decle

hjalfi

Postby hjalfi » Sun May 14, 2017 9:38 pm

That looks ideal! ...except I don't do windows, and the binary doesn't work under Wine, so definitely interested in a Linux version too.

Coeus

Postby Coeus » Sun May 14, 2017 11:15 pm

No idea what's been happenning on the BeebEm port to Linux. What I last saw was something that was always playing catchup with the Windows version.

B-Em is Linux friendly and the version in the stardot GitHub repository also has the VDFS feature. https://github.com/stardot/b-em. On B-Em it is enabled by Disc->Enable VDFS. There is also the option to choose the VDFS root directory, i.e. the sandbox dir on the host OS that acts as the virtual root dir as seen from the BBC.

hjalfi

Postby hjalfi » Mon May 15, 2017 8:20 am

Ah, awesome --- will check it out later (have to do work programming now).

Is the whole emulator trap thing a standard now, or at least a de-facto one? Are there docs anywhere? (BTW, the feature's not mentioned in the b-em README.)

hjalfi

Postby hjalfi » Mon May 15, 2017 6:57 pm

Yes! It works!

...although figuring out how to enable it was a bit of an adventure; it's not mentioned in the documentation anywhere, and I eventually had to find the implementation, find where it was being called from, find the configuration variable that enables it, find the file containing the configuration, and then I found the GUI menus. Oh, well.

Now I just need to find out how to type a ^ on the emulated keyboard...

Thanks very much!

jgharston

Postby jgharston » Mon May 15, 2017 7:40 pm

hjalfi wrote:Yes! It works!
...although figuring out how to enable it was a bit of an adventure; ...!

My fault, I forgot to push the menu definition file into the main source. It should be menu bar -> Hardware -> Emulator traps -> WSS/VDFS traps

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

Return to “emulators”