Clock Signal: now also for Linux and BSD

want to talk about MESS/model b/beebem/b-em/electrem/elkulator? do it here!
ThomasHarte

Clock Signal: now also for Linux and BSD

Postby ThomasHarte » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:30 am

Clock Signal is my emulator of the Acorn Electron and a bunch of other machines that Acorn didn't make. Its particular claims to fame are:

• a desire to be entirely invisible — emulator as medium, not message;
  • emulation of the entire stack of things that comprised your Electron — the machine itself, and a CRT, fed either by a composite or by an RGB signal. Composite display is an actual GPU-powered composite encoding and decoding of video, not a post-processing effect. Whether composite or RGB, the painted surface is simulated phosphor and will update as quickly as your machine's refresh rate, being entirely independent of the 50Hz rate of the Electron and thereby seeking to avoid classic 50Hz-to-60Hz emulation judder; and
  • audio uses a broadly similar signals processing approach, being internally sampled at a very high resolution and then resampled downward. Speech effects like Exile are not handled as a special case, they just work.

Supported Electron file formats are the usual suspects: UEF (including HQ), CSW, SSD, DSD, ADF. Tapes can usually be speed loaded regardless of file format; the only known exception is Way of the Exploding Fist as it uses a custom loader.

Binaries are provided for macOS. A Scons-powered build script is provided for Linux and BSD; prerequisites are SDL 2, ZLib and OpenGL (or, more likely, Mesa).

This is the first attempt to build Linux so feedback is sought.

Releases accumulate on GitHub. The one at the top of that page is the latest.

Matt Godbolt

Re: Clock Signal: now also for Linux and BSD

Postby Matt Godbolt » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:48 am

Wow great stuff!! Looking forward to checking this out :-)

ThomasHarte

Postby ThomasHarte » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:20 am

Matt Godbolt wrote:Wow great stuff!! Looking forward to checking this out :-)

Alas it is presently OpenGL 3.2 powered, so I will not shortly be asking you for Emscripten tips. Also, I've uncovered a bug already, with the Oric display being very incorrect on X11.

A couple of boasts I forgot to make though:

It's the closest emulator yet as to timing on memory access; a regression in Mode 3 since last I checked is probably its only deviation from correctness, so for this test:
Mode 0: 14.70
Mode 1: 14.75
Mode 2: 14.90
Mode 3: 7.74
Mode 4: 7.07
Mode 5: 7.07
Mode 6: 7.07

I was completely unaware of the Mode 3 error before composing this post; will file it as a bug.

It similarly properly models the Electron output as interlaced, and obeys all of Paul Boddie's other observations as to behaviour.

paulb

Postby paulb » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:01 pm

ThomasHarte wrote:It similarly properly models the Electron output as interlaced, and obeys all of Paul Boddie's other observations as to behaviour.

Nice to see you doing more emulator work, Thomas!

I hope my observations are still valid given hoglet's heroic investigations with FPGA implementations, given that my document mostly started as speculation about the various mechanisms and probably wasn't too far from what emulator developers have been doing all along. I do remember some timing exercises that refined some of my assumptions somewhat (probably the ones you've mentioned) and the awkward realisation that the ULA really does have to throw away potentially usable cycles in modes 0 to 3 because the CPU cannot interact with the RAM fast enough.

guesser

Postby guesser » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:18 pm

ThomasHarte wrote:[*] emulation of the entire stack of things that comprised your Electron — the machine itself, and a CRT, fed either by a composite or by an RGB signal. Composite display is an actual GPU-powered composite encoding and decoding of video, not a post-processing effect.

Very interesting! Is speccy emulation on the roadmap for the future? I'd love to see what your code makes of my silly "chromatrons" game :D

ThomasHarte

Postby ThomasHarte » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:52 pm

Now available on master, and included in a fresh source and Mac release: the Mode 3 timing mistake is fixed — usually around 11.91s, depending on how promptly I release the enter key. So I really think this is the most-accurate emulator to date.

paulb wrote:
ThomasHarte wrote:It similarly properly models the Electron output as interlaced, and obeys all of Paul Boddie's other observations as to behaviour.

Nice to see you doing more emulator work, Thomas!

I hope my observations are still valid given hoglet's heroic investigations with FPGA implementations, given that my document mostly started as speculation about the various mechanisms and probably wasn't too far from what emulator developers have been doing all along. I do remember some timing exercises that refined some of my assumptions somewhat (probably the ones you've mentioned) and the awkward realisation that the ULA really does have to throw away potentially usable cycles in modes 0 to 3 because the CPU cannot interact with the RAM fast enough.

I had definitely previously believed it to be a progressive not-exactly-50Hz machine with a real-time clock interrupt that always fell at the end of a scan line. All of those errors are corrected.

guesser wrote:
ThomasHarte wrote:[*] emulation of the entire stack of things that comprised your Electron — the machine itself, and a CRT, fed either by a composite or by an RGB signal. Composite display is an actual GPU-powered composite encoding and decoding of video, not a post-processing effect.

Very interesting! Is speccy emulation on the roadmap for the future? I'd love to see what your code makes of my silly "chromatrons" game :D

I think it might be interesting to try the Spectrum, especially as my 8272 has still not necessarily earned my trust and adding +3DOS to the things I've tested that with might lead to some revelations. But I worry that the main part of getting the user-experience I'd really want would be an endless indeterminate slog through figuring out how to accelerate different loading schemes. On the CPC I've just left tapes to load at their natural speed. I suspect that the immediate future is going to be spent dealing with all the latent issues suddenly revealed by attempting to operate with an entirely different outer program (i.e. the SDL code) in a different environment under a different compiler.

Though I had a pleasing experience with the Oric: its composite signal is generated from an asynchronously-clocked ROM-based lookup table, and throwing those numbers straight in seems to result in the proper colours out.

Matt Godbolt

Postby Matt Godbolt » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:14 pm

ThomasHarte wrote:

Alas it is presently OpenGL 3.2 powered, so I will not shortly be asking you for Emscripten tips.

Haha no worries. The only emscripten I know is enough to get BeebAsm to work in BeedIDE :)

Built pretty easily - nice work. I sent some PRs to fix errors GCC 4.8 picked up. Will try building it against 7.2. There's some strict aliasing warnings which will probably bite on newer GCCs. If you're interested in help fixing those, let me know!

Matt Godbolt

Postby Matt Godbolt » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:16 pm

I'd love to try and port the composite output to jsbeeb though...will be digging around for info. Do you have any links to sources you used for this?

ThomasHarte

Postby ThomasHarte » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:19 pm

Matt Godbolt wrote:
ThomasHarte wrote:

Alas it is presently OpenGL 3.2 powered, so I will not shortly be asking you for Emscripten tips.

Haha no worries. The only emscripten I know is enough to get BeebAsm to work in BeedIDE :)

I previously though that was part of the JSBeeb toolchain, but now I see that it is actually a JavaScript-first implementation. Obviously I wasn't paying enough attention. Very poor form.

Matt Godbolt wrote:Built pretty easily - nice work. I sent some PRs to fix errors GCC 4.8 picked up. Will try building it against 7.2. There's some strict aliasing warnings which will probably bite on newer GCCs. If you're interested in help fixing those, let me know!

I've definitely made a few implementational missteps along the way: I started this emulator two or three years ago because I had never used modern C++ and had completely forgotten what of the '90s-style C++ I once knew. So a lot of the older sections look a lot more like a C programmer trying to find his way than do the new sections, especially the union that underlies static analyser results. I think I also initially leaned far too heavily on shared_ptr, being an Objective-C/Swift transferee. I've generally been going back and fixing such things as and when my knowledge proceeds and time allows but it's a learning process. The survival of some phoney aliasing assumptions would be no surprise.

That all being admitted, apparently I'm using GCC 7.2 over in Ubuntu world, so probably all is already well. On the Mac I'm on "Apple LLVM" (surely they haven't forked their own project?) version 9.0.0 with clang-900.0.38.

PRs merged by the way, thanks!
Matt Godbolt wrote:I'd love to try and port the composite output to jsbeeb though...will be digging around for info. Do you have any links to sources you used for this?

I'll see whether I can dig anything up, but the genesis of all that is very long-winded. I wrote a ZX80/81 emulator back in 2011, which is a machine where the programmer has a great deal of programmatic control over the video output, and probably started reading about it then. But I'm not sure there's a lot to it given that you're emulating a CRTC so must have syncs under control, so I think all you really need to compose the PAL output stream is:
  • keep track of a colour subcarrier at 4.43361875Mhz;
  • translate to YUV;
  • output Y*0.8 + (U*cos(t) + V*sin(t))*0.2, with t being the appropriate measure of the colour subcarrier.

Then to convert back:
Y = input with lowpass filter applied; subcarrier/4 is a good choice;
U = 2 * (input - Y)*cos(t), with even more aggressive lowpass filter applied, probably subcarrier/8; and
V = 2 * (input - Y)*sin(t), with same lowpass filter as for U.

Then colour space convert and output that.

I'm unaware of any particular quirks in how Acorn's hardware produces a composite wave, so for the Electron I'm running exactly by the book from RGB. That's not true of the other machines; both the 2600 and the Vic-20 produce their outputs directly as amplitude + phase offset of a single subcarrier-frequency wave, and the Oric uses a lookup table extracted from the original hardware.

The (most) hand-waving justification for the mathematics being:

As U and V are added on as amplitude modulations of a 4.43361875Mhz, of course low-pass filtering the whole signal will recover Y.

Given the single amplitude modulation of k*sin(t), you can't get back to k by dividing by sin(t) because of sin(t)'s annoying habit of crossing zero. But if you multiply by sin again and throw in a trig identity:

k * sin(t) * sin(t) = k * sin^2(t) = k * 1/2(1 - cos(2t)) = k/2 - k/2 * cos(2t)

... so if you lowpass filter that to kill the cos(2t) term, you get k/2 back out. And then clearly the same logic applies to the cos term because that's just sin with a different phase. And, to be really precise about it:

k * sin(t) * sin(t) + v * cos(t) * sin(t) = ... k as above ... + 1/2(sin(t + t) + sin(t - t)) = ... + sin(2t)/2 + sin(0)/2 = ... + sin(2t)/2

So the fact of composition of two out-of-phase signals just adds some more noise in the 2t frequency range, which you also throw away via the lowpass filtering.

I was originally applying another instance of my Kaiser-Bessel filter to the problem, but getting a decent answer out of that created a bit of a bandwidth issue on the GPU: there's only one texture sample for each two source data samples but it still adds up. So I took a hacky shortcut: I sample my original composite wave at four times the colour subcarrier then just perform an exact average over each group of four to recover Y. Which is a bit brute-force, but is effectively a comb filter, I guess.
Last edited by ThomasHarte on Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt Godbolt

Postby Matt Godbolt » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:33 pm

Wow: thanks for the deep info! A lot to digest...I'll see what I can knock up :) Thank you!

ThomasHarte

Postby ThomasHarte » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:43 pm

Matt Godbolt wrote:Wow: thanks for the deep info! A lot to digest...I'll see what I can knock up :) Thank you!

I'll probably have missed something out, but I'm sure you can figure out the point: add the extra two channels as amplitude modulations of ~4.43Mhz subcarriers that are exactly out of phase, multiply again by sin and cos to extract them, use lowpass filtering at various stages to get rid of bits of signal you don't want, use the trig identities to justify why what you're doing works. Easy!

Return to “emulators”