What's Eyeore's by Magus

discuss text & graphic adventures for Acorns. level 9, robico & epic led this field
fuzzel

What's Eyeore's by Magus

Postby fuzzel » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:26 am

I've nearly completed this game but have a couple of puzzles left to solve.

Does anyone out there know how to get the nail out of the tin man's neck or know what to feed Fifi the Gorilla ?

I know I'm clutching at straws here because although it's a good game I don't think many people have played it. Unlike Level 9, Magus were pretty poor at marketing their games, relying mostly on positive reviews from The Mad Hatter and Pendragon.

lurkio

Re: What's Eyeore's by Magus

Postby lurkio » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:00 pm

From my extremely brief play with the game, I seem to recall there's some bread you can get (from the breadfruit?) and give to the gorilla, which it'll sit on and turn into toast, and if that happens in the correct room (the orchard?) there's a banana tree that the gorilla might shake and make bananas fall out of.

Or that might all be a recent fever-dream I had.

:-?

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:14 pm

Thanks ! I've played this game for weeks and never knew you could get bread from the breadfruit tree !

I forgot the golden rule of adventuring which is to examine everything and get everything even if it just seems to be an innocuous bit of the room description.

Thanks again - I shall go on now and get 700 out of 700 (or more likely be back again in 30 mins asking for more help..)

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:29 pm

I don't suppose on your brief play you managed to work out how to help the Tin Man who has a rusty nail stuck in his jaw ?

I've nearly completed the game now, I'm on the last puzzle but I still have a few unused objects which may or may not be red herrings.

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:39 pm

A year or so further on I'm still stuck on this minor classic. I have all the treasures and Eeyore's tail but I can't pin it on him without a nail.
The nail is stuck in the tin man's neck but despite pinning him down to prevent me taking it, I can't seem to get a grip of it. Can anyone help?
I'm running out of inspiration and this is probably the last puzzle ! If someone does know the answer a clue rather than the answer would suit me best.
If no one has got this far then please, PLAY THE GAME !! It's brilliant (sometimes I feel like the last BBC adventure player on earth....)

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:17 pm

oke i have found the game by stairwaytohell but why is this not on a sth collection ? and on BEEB.MMB file

before i look into the game , i will make this a 1 FILE game :shock:

first i will look for a tape version. i can't imagine that programmers do load this game as on the disk from stairwaystohell

but then again i have seen terrible thing latery

so i will FIX ??? this , maybe you want to solve this [-X , but that is cheating :P

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:52 pm

Thanks for the reply Duikkie. I've managed to find the subroutine in the game that lists all the locations and the missing location only has a few bytes allocated to it so I presume it's been deliberately removed. It looks as though it was a shortcut during testing to get from part 2 of the game back to part 1 without having to drive through the motorway. I've also managed to list all the objects and their descriptions (I already have them all so I'm not missing an object) and I've also been able to list all of the messages which I hoped would give me a clue as to how to remove the nail from the tin man's neck. Unfortunately, the message reads "Pop! It's out!" which helps me not in the slightest apart from suggesting perhaps suction. So I'm still no closer to solving it. Apart from continuing to blast away randomly at this puzzle the only other way would be to deeply interrogate the code to determine which flag changes when the nail is removed and work back to which command was entered to do this (probably beyond my capabilities unfortunately).

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:52 pm

look at this :)
it does not help with your puzzle :shock:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12707

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:35 am

maybe a not player , can have a fresh look ? allso one that is bad in english :oops:

can you make a list of all objects , command that you can use at prompt, maybe somewhere make a walk trough.
allso where to use and object.
i have solved early a game to do something nobody have every think about ( reading a bible , for help :) )
you never know how a dutchman can beat a englishman with english [-X

fuzzel wrote:Thanks for the reply Duikkie. I've managed to find the subroutine in the game that lists all the locations and the missing location only has a few bytes allocated to it so I presume it's been deliberately removed. It looks as though it was a shortcut during testing to get from part 2 of the game back to part 1 without having to drive through the motorway. I've also managed to list all the objects and their descriptions (I already have them all so I'm not missing an object) and I've also been able to list all of the messages which I hoped would give me a clue as to how to remove the nail from the tin man's neck. Unfortunately, the message reads "Pop! It's out!" which helps me not in the slightest apart from suggesting perhaps suction. So I'm still no closer to solving it. Apart from continuing to blast away randomly at this puzzle the only other way would be to deeply interrogate the code to determine which flag changes when the nail is removed and work back to which command was entered to do this (probably beyond my capabilities unfortunately).

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:25 pm

Hi Duikkie, I have a list of all objects and locations and a map too. Regarding a walkthrough, I have a pen and paper one
but I think I'll replay the game while I type it into a word processor, you never know, something might click while I play it again.
While I've been looking under the bonnet of the game, so to speak, I've also analysed the save game file to work out what each byte
does so I can upload an excel file of this too (?&003 is the room location).
By the way, if you *load the game, run it and then break, ?&62, ?&63 and ?&64 seem to point to the locations, object descriptions and messages when you call&7a01. Try setting ?&62=254, ?&63=24,?&64=128 then call&7a01 to see what I mean.

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:43 am

which version do you use now ? my all in one version , is i think the same , did only move a lot up and downloading and packed it in one file , removed the *fx200,3 i think else you can't call &7a01 :)

whaiting for the list , if you don't have the solution by then :)

fuzzel wrote:Hi Duikkie, I have a list of all objects and locations and a map too. Regarding a walkthrough, I have a pen and paper one
but I think I'll replay the game while I type it into a word processor, you never know, something might click while I play it again.
While I've been looking under the bonnet of the game, so to speak, I've also analysed the save game file to work out what each byte
does so I can upload an excel file of this too (?&003 is the room location).
By the way, if you *load the game, run it and then break, ?&62, ?&63 and ?&64 seem to point to the locations, object descriptions and messages when you call&7a01. Try setting ?&62=254, ?&63=24,?&64=128 then call&7a01 to see what I mean.

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:01 am

Sorry, try call &7A07 - I can't read my own notes !
What I did was to press break when a location was being printed and noted ?&62, ?&63 and ?&64 to find where the location text was.
Then did the same for the object descriptions and messages.
I wrote a little bit of code:P%=&1100:[JSR&7A07:JMP&1100 which prints all the text (CNTRL-N first).

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:10 am

is this good english , what i get ??

fuzzel wrote:Sorry, try call &7A07 - I can't read my own notes !
What I did was to press break when a location was being printed and noted ?&62, ?&63 and ?&64 to find where the location text was.
Then did the same for the object descriptions and messages.
I wrote a little bit of code:P%=&1100:[JSR&7A07:JMP&1100 which prints all the text (CNTRL-N first).

Return to “adventures”