What's Eyeore's by Magus

discuss text & graphic adventures for Acorns. level 9, robico & epic led this field
lurkio

Re: What's Eyeore's by Magus

Postby lurkio » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:13 pm

fuzzel wrote:Lurkio, I've just emailed you two savestate files, one for locations, one for messages.

fuzzel, I used your saved states (see previous post) to print out the messages from the game, and the one that stood out was this:

his jaw just needs to rest now.

It sounds like you might need to get the Tin Man to stop moving his jaw (somehow!), so that you can get a grip on the nail? Maybe?!

Anyway, here's a dump of all(?) the messages from the game (intermixed with a lot of gibberish, which seems to be unavoidable using your hack method):

And here's a transcript of me playing the game using your walkthrough, which, as you said, takes you up to 600 points out of 700, with the nail still being stuck in the Tin Man's jaw:

:idea:
Last edited by lurkio on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:12 pm

One that stood out for me was "Pop! It's free!". This must be the message displayed on removal of the nail. Shame there's no clue as to how it's done.

I'll summarise the Tin Man's part in the game to date shortly, hopefully it might help.

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:44 pm

To summarise, the tin man wanders around with a nail stuck in his jaw. By carrying the can of "IRN BRU" you can get
him to follow you. You take him to the river where he gets stuck to a magnetic rock and now can't move his arms so you can
reach for the nail. Unfortunately, you can't get a grip on it......

Description: "You can see a tin man moaning and clutching his jaw."
EXAMINE TIN MAN: "A big strong nail rocks in his jaw."
TAKE NAIL: "Although he's in pain, the tin man struggles so much that you can't get it."
EXAMINE CAN: "Tastes like "IRN BRU"."
Moving while holding can: "The Tin Man follows the tantalising smell of IRN BRU."
PUSH ROCK WEST: "The Tin Man follows the tantalising smell of IRN BRU. SPLASH! WHIRRR..
the current activates the powerful magnet. The tin man is picked up and flies through
the air to CLANG! Immovably against the magnet."
TAKE NAIL: "You can't seem to get a grip."
EXAMINE NAIL: "Shows signs of rust, (must be painful for him)."

Messages within the game which are probably relevant (but we don't know how to get them):

"His jaw just needs to rest now"

"Pop it's free!" - What would cause a pop ? Is this a small explosion ? Is it a pun regarding Irn Bru ?

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:23 pm

fuzzel, does your hacking method reveal all of the messages in the game? There seems to be a lot of gibberish text interleaved with the genuine readable English messages. Maybe if you could decode the rest of the text, then you'd reveal the answer to the puzzle of the rusty nail..?

I just can't help thinking that there must be some other sort of "clue" message that will reveal the solution. The message I noticed in the hack (above) -- "his jaw just needs to rest now" -- seems to be only a fragment of a sentence: so where's the rest of the sentence? Maybe it contains the answer?!

:?:

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:51 am

Hi Lurkio, I'm pretty sure that my method reveals all of the messages in the game. If you look at some of the gibberish text you see that it's repeated so I'm assuming it has some other purpose. A couple of things to consider though, can you think of any messages you've seen in the game that aren't in your file ? And also, did you run it from the start of the messages ? I'll try running it from an earlier memory point and see what happens. One thing I haven't sent you is a routine for listing the game objects, I'll check my game notes because I'm pretty sure I managed to list them at some point.

Finally, when do you want to have a look at Locks of Luck ? I have a map for that and a more general walkthrough because the final section of the game (roughly the last 33%) involves a no-going back situation where you have to guess which objects you'll need to take with you to complete it. As I still had a couple of puzzles to solve I didn't want to do a detailed walkthrough until I knew I could complete it. I'd call that game What's Eeyores' bigger, meaner brother so I'd understand it if you're now running very quickly in the opposite direction...

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:18 am

I've just played around with the messages routine and the variables need to be set to the following to get the full list from the start:

?&62=171
?&63=40
?&64=64

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:19 am

fuzzel wrote:A couple of things to consider though, can you think of any messages you've seen in the game that aren't in your file ?

Not sure. I'll have to check.

fuzzel wrote:And also, did you run it from the start of the messages ?

I simply loaded your saved state and typed "CALL &1100", I think.

fuzzel wrote:I'll try running it from an earlier memory point and see what happens.

Yes. Please do.

fuzzel wrote:One thing I haven't sent you is a routine for listing the game objects, I'll check my game notes because I'm pretty sure I managed to list them at some point.

Yes, I'd like to see that, please.

fuzzel wrote:Finally, when do you want to have a look at Locks of Luck ?

I'll answer that question in the style of the authors of Locks Of Luck and What's Eeyore's:

When Elrond's Welsh cousins enter into a contract to receive goods in exchange for otter pelts but then delay payment.
In other words:

When elf Rhyses owe fur.
:wink:

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:37 am

Nice one ! I don't believe you though !

I'm just about to email me you a list of objects' descriptions, I though I had the list of objects but their descriptions will have to do.
I've put it a bit before the start so you'll have to call&1100 and wait and control n

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:45 pm

fuzzel wrote:Messages within the game which are probably relevant (but we don't know how to get them): "His jaw just needs to rest now" ... "Pop it's free!" - What would cause a pop ? Is this a small explosion ? Is it a pun regarding Irn Bru ?

I'll just leave these screenshots here...

Untitled.png
    Untitled 2.png
:D

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:47 pm

How did you get the nail ???????????????????

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:50 pm

fuzzel wrote:How did you get the nail ???????????????????

How evil would I be if I just said, "I'm not gonna tell you!"???!!

:lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:55 pm

Well, I gave you 99% of the solution, it's only fair you give me 1% !

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:58 pm

fuzzel wrote:Well, I gave you 99% of the solution, it's only fair you give me 1% !

Oh, alright then. You convinced me. :wink:

You just need to have the tongs on you, I think. That's what I did, anyway: I loaded your final savestate (what71.uef), went and got the tongs out of the chest, returned to the river, and said GET NAIL. That was it! Then I replaced the tongs in the chest and went to Eeyore's.

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:05 pm

Well done and thanks! You got there first.
But I'm sure I tried the tongs because they were the obvious thing from the list of objects for nail removal.
When it didn't work I assumed none of the treasures had any use except as a treasure (the devious so and sos).
So never make assumptions when playing adventure games, especially magus ones !

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:20 pm

fuzzel wrote:Well done and thanks! You got there first.

Well done for doing 99% of the work single-handed! I still don't quite see how you managed it!

fuzzel wrote:But I'm sure I tried the tongs because they were the obvious thing from the list of objects for nail removal. When it didn't work I assumed none of the treasures had any use except as a treasure (the devious so and sos).

Yes, I thought I'd tried them before without success, too. Weird. Perhaps you have to do things in a certain order?! Wouldn't put it past them!

:roll:

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:10 pm

Here's the map I've submitted to CASA:

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:24 pm

I've submitted the walkthrough to CASA.

Copy attached.
Attachments