Unfinished Text Adventures

discuss text & graphic adventures for Acorns. level 9, robico & epic led this field
fuzzel

Re: Unfinished Text Adventures

Postby fuzzel » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:29 pm

You could do worse than start with the game where it all began, Colossal Adventure by Level 9. This was the first text adventure I played as a kid and I
remember discussing it with my mates in the classroom at school as we raced each other to be the first to solve it. My second choice would be Lords of Time, also by Level 9, considered by many to be the best adventure game for the beeb and also my personal favourite. There are also comprehensive
clue sheets available for all their games, available online, very well crafted by the Austins.

evert67

Postby evert67 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:35 am

Haha, Colossal Adventure, being a version of the original Adventure. is probably the only text adventure I still remember parts of. How about the other two adventure in the trilogy by Level 9, Adventure Quest and Dungeon Adventure? Are they good? And is Lords of Time considered better?

Thanks!

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:05 am

Adventure Quest is probably the smallest of the three, and on a par with Colossal in terms of difficulty. Could be a good one to start on.
Dungeon Adventure is a beast, by far the biggest of the lot in my recollection. You'll need to be on top of your game to finish that one.
Lords of Time is fun because it's essentially 9 mini-adventures. If you start at level 1 and to them in order you can finish it as you'll need
objects from earlier levels to complete later ones.

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:36 pm

It's Magic is doing my head in. You're supposed to learn spells by reading plaques but some of them don't any spells on.

I've also had a case where I've been told I've learnt a spell but it doesn't appear in my Status.

Not sure if the game is bugged or not. Anyone else playing ?

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:16 pm

fuzzel wrote:It's Magic is doing my head in. You're supposed to learn spells by reading plaques but some of them don't any spells on. I've also had a case where I've been told I've learnt a spell but it doesn't appear in my Status. Not sure if the game is bugged or not.

Are you using the tape-image on STH, or the disc-image on bbcmicro.co.uk? If the disc, then try the tape instead. (To see if the tape seems less buggy than the disc.)

:?:

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:45 pm

I've tried the tape version on this site but it doesn't work. I get the loading screen but when the main file loads, nothing.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:56 pm

fuzzel wrote:I've tried the tape version on this site but it doesn't work. I get the loading screen but when the main file loads, nothing.

Try this tape version:

Load the UEF tape-image into BeebEm, and then do this:

:idea:

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:08 pm

I get this message when I do what you say.
Attachments
itsmagic.jpg

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:21 pm

fuzzel wrote:I get this message when I do what you say ...

Yep. So do I, when I use the Windows version of BeebEm. But when I use the Mac version of BeebEm, the game loads and runs successfully!

Well, well, well. No idea what's going on here.

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:30 pm

What about an Electron version ? Is that available anywhere? I must admit I don't have an Electron emulator so I'd have to hope it works on Beebem.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:38 pm

fuzzel wrote:What about an Electron version ? Is that available anywhere? I must admit I don't have an Electron emulator so I'd have to hope it works on Beebem.

Try the following Beeb tape version. It's just a re-transfer (using Mac BeebEm) of the unaltered files from tape (the STH tape-image), to disc (a new blank .SSD disc-image), and then back to tape again (a new blank UEF tape-image) -- but for some reason this works for me in Windows BeebEm:

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:30 pm

Hi Lurkio, thanks for your efforts but exactly the same problem occurs with this version.
Maybe it's meant to be this way and I'll find a way of unlocking the spell a bit further into the game.
I've encountered what appears to be another bug in the library, maybe I'm just frustrated at the slow progress I'm making.
I hope this isn't another Locks of Luck...

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:17 pm

After a week's holiday I've had another crack at It's Magic today and I think I've solved the problem of the spell not being learnt.
I solved one puzzle and learnt the intricacies of the spell then later on I solved another puzzle and learnt how to cast the spell, so for some spells you have to do two things to get them to work.

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:19 pm

It's Magic is once again driving me absolutely nuts ! If anyone is playing it / has played it and can help with the library I'd very much appreciate it.
If someone has a spare 10 minutes I can get you to the library quickly so you can have a go yourself.
From the start of part 1:
NW, W, SW, S, S, SE, W, SE, S, GET FORM, E, GIVE FORM TO ASSISTANT (You get a sarcastic message saying you haven't completed the form). So,
FILL IN FORM, GIVE FORM TO ASSISTANT (Message now says, That's a no-no, I'm sorry.). Either the game is bugged or it could be a bit more helpful as to why I've filled the dratted thing in but it's still no good.
The WORDS command will list all commands in the game (except the spells which will remain secret until you discover them).
All objects that I've found don't appear to be any use in the library.

iamaran

Postby iamaran » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:53 pm

Absolute long shot, but examining your pen reveals it to be unreliable.

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:36 pm

The pen being unreliable certainly sounds like a clue but I managed to fill in the form ok, when I try again it says "Why bother doing that again".
Maybe the pen has another use later on in the game but snaps or runs out when you try to use it.

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:54 pm

I've now got 12 spells on It's Magic and I think I've just about completed this part of the game.
And the only puzzle I haven't done yet ? Yep, you guessed it, the library !
After reading the review of this game in the Micro User it would appear I need Diane's help but she's not being very cooperative.

Return to “adventures”