Locks of Luck by Magus

discuss text & graphic adventures for Acorns. level 9, robico & epic led this field
fuzzel

Locks of Luck by Magus

Postby fuzzel » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:25 pm

I've just started playing Locks of Luck by Magus and after an hour I'm hopelessly stuck.
Does anyone have a hint sheet for the game ?

leenew

Re: Locks of Luck by Magus

Postby leenew » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:38 pm

http://www.solutionarchive.com/game/id% ... +Luck.html
Hmmm.... in fact there isn't much help there is there!
I could ask my adventuring friend to try to play through it :-)
Lee.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:51 pm

fuzzel wrote:I've just started playing Locks of Luck by Magus and after an hour I'm hopelessly stuck.
Does anyone have a hint sheet for the game ?

Alas, no. I've never played this one, but it sounds like it's a stinker!:

A&B Computing wrote:Having praised Magus for sending clue sheets, we must now admit that even with the totally unbridled and unscrupulous use of the one provided for LOCKS OF LUCK, we were unable to get halfway through this game! The problem was either that there were no clues for some sticking point or else that there were clues but with pretty unhelpful answers.

The game itself has the rather silly theme of requiring the player to identify and retrieve a king's missing lock of hair. It has a rather more orthodox and grown-up feel to it than WHAT'S EEYORE'S, however, and seems rather bigger - judging from the number of clues to things we never reached! However, it has a number of features in common with the other game, including awful puns, treasure collection and needing means of transport for moving through parts of the game. Like VILLAGE OF THE LOST SOULS, a source of difficulty is the very large number of objects that can be found and carried around and whose function is generally far from obvious.

The new Magus games are unfortunately marred by having a number of quite arbitrary puzzles which we were only able to solve by use of the hint sheets and to which there seemed to be no basis on which we could have reasoned out the answers. This brings us to a theme discussed in earlier articles - the dubious practice of making a game last by the use of obscure puzzles. Personally, we get very frustrated by games that we cannot make progress with. An ideal game allows frequent problem-solving and lasts a long time! Of course, the normal memory constaints of the Beeb make this ideal tricky to achieve. The best colution that we have seen so far is that offered by Robico's ENTHAR SEVEN which combines Robico's usual fair and logical puzzles with the huge dimensions permitted by a combination of disc access and text compression.

On the other hand, Pendragon reckoned it was "majestic"!

(I did have a very brief playabout with the aforementioned What's Eeyore's, which I found intriguing, difficult, and hilariously racist.)

leenew wrote:I could ask my adventuring friend to try to play through it :-)

I have a funny feeling he might be busy... :-k

:wink:

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:07 pm

You're right, it does sound like a stinker, particularly if there's no logic to the puzzles.
It would be great if a few of us could play it though and maybe between us we'll get somewhere.
I'll get a memory dump first and hopefully get a list of commands.
I think I'll also play Rick Hanson from Robico, a game I remember solving back in the eighties. At least there's a clue sheet for that if I get stuck.

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:56 pm

I see there's been some interest in this posting although not many comments.
Has anyone, out of curiosity, had a go at the game yet ? I've solved a few puzzles but am bogged down again. I've even resorted to reading the adventure columns in the BBC Micro User and Electron User magazine but there are no clues there either. The game doesn't appear to have been purchased in very large quantities which is a shame. I must admit I'm enjoying it though.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:51 pm

Just wondering if it might be worth playing What's Eeyore's first, to ease yourself into the Magus mindset..?

I can't exactly find anything that says that the two games have to be played in order, but I do believe Eeyore's is a bit easier* and was written first -- at least, that's what's implied in the A&B Computing review I quoted above.

I'm just trying to think of something -- anything -- that might possibly make these seemingly rock-hard games a bit less traumatic to play...

* On the other hand, I just noticed the review says that Locks is apparently more "orthodox", so who knows..?!

:-k

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:31 pm

I took your advice and started playing What's Eeyores and yes it is a bit easier to get started and also quite atmospheric and witty. I've solved a few puzzles but then got bogged down. The main problem with this game is that you need to examine things which don't appear in the text description, you have to assume they're there as part of an everyday object. Definitely one for the more experienced adventurers. I think I'll persevere with this one though.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:13 pm

fuzzel wrote:I took your advice and started playing What's Eeyores and yes it is a bit easier to get started and also quite atmospheric and witty. I've solved a few puzzles but then got bogged down. The main problem with this game is that you need to examine things which don't appear in the text description, you have to assume they're there as part of an everyday object.

Good tip, thanks! I've only just started looking at it, and haven't got very far yet. But even this took quite a while! There's a lot of text to take in.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Partial map of What's Eeyore's by Magus

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:28 am

Thanks for playing lurkio, I could do with some support as I'm well and truly stuck now. I was thinking about using a debugger to try to determine where the game stores the messages / objects and where the routine for the message decoder is although that's probably beyond me having not done any assembly programming for 30 odd years.
I've made a little bit of progress. Would you like me to tell you which puzzles I've solved so far or do you want to have a fair crack yourself first ?

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:35 am

For a list of commands type *HELP (not sure if that's all of them though)
Also the game says "visible exits are" and "some exits are" so there may be a few hidden ones (I haven't found any yet mind).

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:56 pm

Here's an update on where I am with this devilish adventure game. Hopefully I'm not spoiling anyone's enjoyment of the game by revealing what I know.

I've solved the following puzzles:
Soldier - I know the 3 objects you have to give him although I've only managed to obtain 2 of them. The third is tantalisingly out of reach..
Noddy's car - I've managed to get it going but keep crashing on the motorway due to my carelessness.
Apes preventing access to Good Ship Lollipop - I've got past them

I'm stuck with the following:
Banana Tree - it would appear I need an accomplice who can climb the tree (and I think I know who but they need persuading)
Tin Man - I don't know how to remove the nail from his shoulder
Census Taker - he relieves me of my senses in the Office of the Royal Census Taker
King Golly - not sure if this is a puzzle
Fifi the Gorilla - I need to feed her breakfast but she doesn't seem keen on sandwiches
Sweeney Toddler doll - he threatens me with a scalpel when I try to sneak past him
Fruit Flies - I can't grab them
Alarm Dog - Is this a puzzle ?

I've also amassed the following objects but don't have a use for them yet:

Bottle (I've filled it with paraquat)
Dewdrop
Adder (there's a clue in the description so I think I know what it's for)
Waders
Jeans
Golly badge
Sunflower
Cat
Box of silence
Hawser
Lock clock
Coin
Sandwich
Hammer
Rabbit's foot and Pot are treasures so I assume they have no other use.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I wonder how many bbc text adventurers there are still out there. If you raise your hands !

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:54 pm

fuzzel wrote:Here's an update on where I am with this devilish adventure game. Hopefully I'm not spoiling anyone's enjoyment of the game by revealing what I know.

Thanks. But I'm studiously avoiding looking at your post because I still intend to come back and have another go at this game sometime.

Wish we had spoiler tags on here.

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:21 pm

If anyone out there fancies playing a new adventure, could they have a go at Locks of Luck please ?
I'm still no further forward almost 12 months on (you'll be pleased to hear I have been doing other things in the meantime though).
Just to avoid confusion, a lot of the posts in this thread have been about Magus's other adventure, What's Eeyores, also unsolved but a bit easier.

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:52 pm

Breakthrough at last ! My subconscious has obviously been hard at work over the last 12 months and I now have a mode of transport to explore the game!
CASA here I come !

danielj

Postby danielj » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:02 pm

:D =D>

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:51 pm

I'm making good progress on this excellent adventure but I'd like to know more about the company itself.
Does anyone know who the brains behind Magus were? Did they ever advertise in Computer Magazines or were they ever featured in articles ?
Or will they remain anonymous ?

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:53 pm

From The Adventure Gamer's Manual by Bob Redrup (aka The Mad Hatter @ Micro User magazine):

image.jpeg
    Extract from The Adventure Gamer's Manual by Bob Redrup
Bob Redrup wrote:A game which I have already mentioned in some detail, and which ranks as one of the very best text adventures I have ever encountered is Village of Lost Souls. It was issued in two guises - and either of them will be well worth seeking out. The initial version was produced by two talented gentlemen, Martin Moore and Glenn McCauley, who called themselves Magus; an expanded version was later released by Robico. If you can ever get hold of Village of Lost Souls you won't regret it.

Martin and Glenn also wrote two other adventures which they described as light relief for serious adventure fans: What's Eeyore's and Locks of Luck. While still first class adventures, they were characterised by some of the most terrible puns I have ever come across. If your humour extends in that direction - as mine does - then they should be regarded as classics.

Familiar names, I think!

:idea:

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:38 pm

Oke where to download this game maybe i have time to look in the game and look for answers in the code

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:24 pm

Hi Duikkie, you'll find the image in the bbc micro software section under disc images (Locks of Luck by Magus).
I wonder whether as a Dutchman you can appreciate the punny jokes that are liberally scattered throughout the game.
If you get anywhere looking at the code don't post any clues for solving the game mind, I'm making excruciatingly slow but steady progress.
Now what to do with that blasted bookworm............

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:34 pm

duikkie wrote:Oke where to download this game maybe i have time to look in the game and look for answers in the code

http://www.stairwaytohell.com/filesearch.php?title=Locks&beebdisk=1&beebtape=1&electape=1&Search=Search

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:35 pm

if you make progress , i will not look inside :) , a game is for playing and have fun. if you can't solve it give a shout , because i never play games, i only look at the code :)

i have seen a lot of lol-x files , i can make this a 1 file game :shock: ( why is this game not on a beeb.mmb file ?)

fuzzel wrote:Hi Duikkie, you'll find the image in the bbc micro software section under disc images (Locks of Luck by Magus).
I wonder whether as a Dutchman you can appreciate the punny jokes that are liberally scattered throughout the game.
If you get anywhere looking at the code don't post any clues for solving the game mind, I'm making excruciatingly slow but steady progress.
Now what to do with that blasted bookworm............

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:49 pm

is this a "game" from tape ?? , i know you all think make no problems if there are none , but ...

if you look at the files and how they are loaded and shift around , my little few hairs stand up.

it is very easy (for me) to make this 1 file game , but why

load 4 files called lol ? lol-4 loading in &400 and then shift to 600 ? why then not load in &600 ??

load lol-0 in at &c00 and overwrite it with part from lol-4

it is a jungle !!!

this game is not playable at master i think , playing with &c70 , vdu char &2xx and can so easy make a normal vdu23,2xx, ....

and the begin tekst i think the text is treasures not &ff,&ff

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:49 pm

noby asked for this , but it is the two/one file version of locks of luck

i build it from the electron tape :

chain "magus"if you want the thing from magus and explaining text ( the two file version)

or
*run thelock (1 file)

i don't know if i made errors because i never play games , only fixing them
Attachments
locksofluck.zip
(71.23 KiB) Downloaded 13 times

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:03 am

Good morning Duikie, I appreciate you looking at Locks of Luck by Magus, they also wrote a similar game called What's Eeyores which I'm stuck on at the moment (I have one more puzzle to solve involving a tin man, a nail and Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh). I thought I'd resort to a little bit of cheating to get a clue as to how to get the nail out of the tin man's neck so I've loaded the WEY-0 file which itself loads WEY-1, WEY-2, WEY-3 and WEY-4 into memory. When you call&74e0 to run the game the program seems to shift things around in memory before launching into game so what I'd like to do is to put a break in the program once the game has started running, say at the first location where the "What now?" prompt appears so I can have a look at the final running code. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find the point in the code where to do this. An alternative would be to find where "LOAD (loading a saved file from within the game) is executed from and put the break in there. Can anyone help me with this ?
Obviously I hate the idea of cheating but this puzzle has driven me nuts for weeks. I've also found a bug in that when you enter IN from the "End of Motorway" location you enter a hidden room with no description so I'm not sure if an actual location has been deleted somehow. Could this bug be stopping me from completing the game?

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:08 pm

so little time , so much to do :) ,

first in order is games that do not run . ( starting lord of the rings now )

in spare time i will look for cheats , but maybe someone know the answer ? a player ?

if not i will work days and nights to solve this world problem :)

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:39 pm

Sorry Duikkie, my priority is rather low, please continue to fix games, at least my game works, albeit at a very frustrating level.
Perhaps instead you or anyone else could tell me how best to stop a program running and return to the BASIC command prompt without having to do a break. I've tried inserting BRK or JMP to a separate memory location but the program seems to hang rather than exit.
Maybe there's a little subroutine someone has written that can be called to achieve this ?
Incidentally I've tried using Exmon II but once the program is running it won't stop and inserting breakpoints has the same effect as above.

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:05 pm

i have been told that exmon2 can change it workspace, i am old man and use exmon :)
look for jsr calls or jmp call with &fff7 or other file calls , if you look for FFEE that is output to monitor (text)
in exmon :
FB xxxx- xxxx 20,F7,FF to spot *oscli or 4C,F7,FF (jsr &fff7, jmp&fff7

input is &ffe0 , look in the books

fuzzel wrote:Sorry Duikkie, my priority is rather low, please continue to fix games, at least my game works, albeit at a very frustrating level.
Perhaps instead you or anyone else could tell me how best to stop a program running and return to the BASIC command prompt without having to do a break. I've tried inserting BRK or JMP to a separate memory location but the program seems to hang rather than exit.
Maybe there's a little subroutine someone has written that can be called to achieve this ?
Incidentally I've tried using Exmon II but once the program is running it won't stop and inserting breakpoints has the same effect as above.

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:14 pm

more hints if you insert the command JSR &FFE0 , 20, FE,FF at any point in the program , it will hold. you then can see where the program is, stopt by the routine you want?

look for *fx200,3 change it in *fx200,0 and *fx229,1 and *fx4,1 . mostly a pain by debuging

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:42 pm

i can't find it on my beeb.mmb file ??

where to look ? no wey files ?

fuzzel wrote:Good morning Duikie, I appreciate you looking at Locks of Luck by Magus, they also wrote a similar game called What's Eeyores which I'm stuck on at the moment (I have one more puzzle to solve involving a tin man, a nail and Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh). I thought I'd resort to a little bit of cheating to get a clue as to how to get the nail out of the tin man's neck so I've loaded the WEY-0 file which itself loads WEY-1, WEY-2, WEY-3 and WEY-4 into memory. When you call&74e0 to run the game the program seems to shift things around in memory before launching into game so what I'd like to do is to put a break in the program once the game has started running, say at the first location where the "What now?" prompt appears so I can have a look at the final running code. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find the point in the code where to do this. An alternative would be to find where "LOAD (loading a saved file from within the game) is executed from and put the break in there. Can anyone help me with this ?
Obviously I hate the idea of cheating but this puzzle has driven me nuts for weeks. I've also found a bug in that when you enter IN from the "End of Motorway" location you enter a hidden room with no description so I'm not sure if an actual location has been deleted somehow. Could this bug be stopping me from completing the game?

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:46 pm

'
The discussion about What's Eeyore's is continued here:

duikkie wrote:where to look ? no wey files ?
leenew wrote:Hmmm.... in fact there isn't much help there is there!

Return to “adventures”