What's Eyeore's by Magus

discuss text & graphic adventures for Acorns. level 9, robico & epic led this field
fuzzel

What's Eyeore's by Magus

Postby fuzzel » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:26 am

I've nearly completed this game but have a couple of puzzles left to solve.

Does anyone out there know how to get the nail out of the tin man's neck or know what to feed Fifi the Gorilla ?

I know I'm clutching at straws here because although it's a good game I don't think many people have played it. Unlike Level 9, Magus were pretty poor at marketing their games, relying mostly on positive reviews from The Mad Hatter and Pendragon.

lurkio

Re: What's Eyeore's by Magus

Postby lurkio » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:00 pm

From my extremely brief play with the game, I seem to recall there's some bread you can get (from the breadfruit?) and give to the gorilla, which it'll sit on and turn into toast, and if that happens in the correct room (the orchard?) there's a banana tree that the gorilla might shake and make bananas fall out of.

Or that might all be a recent fever-dream I had.

:-?

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:14 pm

Thanks ! I've played this game for weeks and never knew you could get bread from the breadfruit tree !

I forgot the golden rule of adventuring which is to examine everything and get everything even if it just seems to be an innocuous bit of the room description.

Thanks again - I shall go on now and get 700 out of 700 (or more likely be back again in 30 mins asking for more help..)

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:29 pm

I don't suppose on your brief play you managed to work out how to help the Tin Man who has a rusty nail stuck in his jaw ?

I've nearly completed the game now, I'm on the last puzzle but I still have a few unused objects which may or may not be red herrings.

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:39 pm

A year or so further on I'm still stuck on this minor classic. I have all the treasures and Eeyore's tail but I can't pin it on him without a nail.
The nail is stuck in the tin man's neck but despite pinning him down to prevent me taking it, I can't seem to get a grip of it. Can anyone help?
I'm running out of inspiration and this is probably the last puzzle ! If someone does know the answer a clue rather than the answer would suit me best.
If no one has got this far then please, PLAY THE GAME !! It's brilliant (sometimes I feel like the last BBC adventure player on earth....)

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:17 pm

oke i have found the game by stairwaytohell but why is this not on a sth collection ? and on BEEB.MMB file

before i look into the game , i will make this a 1 FILE game :shock:

first i will look for a tape version. i can't imagine that programmers do load this game as on the disk from stairwaystohell

but then again i have seen terrible thing latery

so i will FIX ??? this , maybe you want to solve this [-X , but that is cheating :P

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:52 pm

Thanks for the reply Duikkie. I've managed to find the subroutine in the game that lists all the locations and the missing location only has a few bytes allocated to it so I presume it's been deliberately removed. It looks as though it was a shortcut during testing to get from part 2 of the game back to part 1 without having to drive through the motorway. I've also managed to list all the objects and their descriptions (I already have them all so I'm not missing an object) and I've also been able to list all of the messages which I hoped would give me a clue as to how to remove the nail from the tin man's neck. Unfortunately, the message reads "Pop! It's out!" which helps me not in the slightest apart from suggesting perhaps suction. So I'm still no closer to solving it. Apart from continuing to blast away randomly at this puzzle the only other way would be to deeply interrogate the code to determine which flag changes when the nail is removed and work back to which command was entered to do this (probably beyond my capabilities unfortunately).

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:52 pm

look at this :)
it does not help with your puzzle :shock:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12707

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:35 am

maybe a not player , can have a fresh look ? allso one that is bad in english :oops:

can you make a list of all objects , command that you can use at prompt, maybe somewhere make a walk trough.
allso where to use and object.
i have solved early a game to do something nobody have every think about ( reading a bible , for help :) )
you never know how a dutchman can beat a englishman with english [-X

fuzzel wrote:Thanks for the reply Duikkie. I've managed to find the subroutine in the game that lists all the locations and the missing location only has a few bytes allocated to it so I presume it's been deliberately removed. It looks as though it was a shortcut during testing to get from part 2 of the game back to part 1 without having to drive through the motorway. I've also managed to list all the objects and their descriptions (I already have them all so I'm not missing an object) and I've also been able to list all of the messages which I hoped would give me a clue as to how to remove the nail from the tin man's neck. Unfortunately, the message reads "Pop! It's out!" which helps me not in the slightest apart from suggesting perhaps suction. So I'm still no closer to solving it. Apart from continuing to blast away randomly at this puzzle the only other way would be to deeply interrogate the code to determine which flag changes when the nail is removed and work back to which command was entered to do this (probably beyond my capabilities unfortunately).

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:25 pm

Hi Duikkie, I have a list of all objects and locations and a map too. Regarding a walkthrough, I have a pen and paper one
but I think I'll replay the game while I type it into a word processor, you never know, something might click while I play it again.
While I've been looking under the bonnet of the game, so to speak, I've also analysed the save game file to work out what each byte
does so I can upload an excel file of this too (?&003 is the room location).
By the way, if you *load the game, run it and then break, ?&62, ?&63 and ?&64 seem to point to the locations, object descriptions and messages when you call&7a01. Try setting ?&62=254, ?&63=24,?&64=128 then call&7a01 to see what I mean.

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:43 am

which version do you use now ? my all in one version , is i think the same , did only move a lot up and downloading and packed it in one file , removed the *fx200,3 i think else you can't call &7a01 :)

whaiting for the list , if you don't have the solution by then :)

fuzzel wrote:Hi Duikkie, I have a list of all objects and locations and a map too. Regarding a walkthrough, I have a pen and paper one
but I think I'll replay the game while I type it into a word processor, you never know, something might click while I play it again.
While I've been looking under the bonnet of the game, so to speak, I've also analysed the save game file to work out what each byte
does so I can upload an excel file of this too (?&003 is the room location).
By the way, if you *load the game, run it and then break, ?&62, ?&63 and ?&64 seem to point to the locations, object descriptions and messages when you call&7a01. Try setting ?&62=254, ?&63=24,?&64=128 then call&7a01 to see what I mean.

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:01 am

Sorry, try call &7A07 - I can't read my own notes !
What I did was to press break when a location was being printed and noted ?&62, ?&63 and ?&64 to find where the location text was.
Then did the same for the object descriptions and messages.
I wrote a little bit of code:P%=&1100:[JSR&7A07:JMP&1100 which prints all the text (CNTRL-N first).

duikkie

Postby duikkie » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:10 am

is this good english , what i get ??

fuzzel wrote:Sorry, try call &7A07 - I can't read my own notes !
What I did was to press break when a location was being printed and noted ?&62, ?&63 and ?&64 to find where the location text was.
Then did the same for the object descriptions and messages.
I wrote a little bit of code:P%=&1100:[JSR&7A07:JMP&1100 which prints all the text (CNTRL-N first).

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:00 am

I don't suppose anyone has had a crack at either Locks of Luck or What's Eeyores by Magus and can give me some help ?

I'd love to close the file on both these games but the end for both remains tantalisingly out of reach....

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:22 pm

fuzzel wrote:I don't suppose anyone has had a crack at either Locks of Luck or What's Eeyores by Magus and can give me some help ? I'd love to close the file on both these games but the end for both remains tantalisingly out of reach....

Had another quick look. Can't stop the flies devouring the banana!

I think you'll have to post your notes and map -- or PM them to me, if you prefer.

:?:

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:35 am

Hi Lurkio, thanks for the offer of help. I'll sort through my adventures stuff and get some pics over to you later.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:24 pm

fuzzel wrote:Hi Lurkio, thanks for the offer of help. I'll sort through my adventures stuff and get some pics over to you later.

Okay.

This is as far as I've got (wearing badge, hat and cape, and having got the toast but had the banana eaten by the flies):

Untitled.png
I don't know what to do with any of these objects! This game is utterly baffling!

:( ](*,) :-k

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:48 pm

Lurkio, you're right, the game is difficult, but enjoyable. Off and on it's taken me a year to get to the final puzzle.

However, if you think this one is a challenge wait until you try Locks of Luck (and you'll need it)...
Now that's a game I'm proud of how far I've got (2 puzzles to go..)

Lurkio, I'm sending you the map and walkthrough now.
If anyone else wants a crack at completing it let me know and I'll pm you the same.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:35 pm

fuzzel, thanks for sending me your map and your nearly complete walkthrough for the Beeb text adventure game What's Eeyore's by Magus.

fuzzel wrote:the game is difficult

Difficult? Difficult?!! The difficulty level is through the roof! Stratospheric! It's utter madness!

Pun after pun after pun. Location after location after location. Object after object. There's just way too much to do in this game — the walkthrough you sent me is almost six A4ish pages long! — and the twisted "logic" you have to use to solve the endless "puzzles" all revolves around wordplay of the most painful kind! I'd quote some examples, but I think I might explode with rage/despair.

That you managed to get 600 points out of 700 simply beggars belief! I mean, well done and everything, I guess..?! But I seriously fear for your sanity at this point. :wink:

fuzzel wrote:the game is difficult but enjoyable.

:?: :?: :!: :shock: [-X :-k ](*,) :-s #-o :evil:

fuzzel wrote:Off and on it's taken me a year to get to the final puzzle.

I'm positively astounded that you were so quick. (I'm not joking.)

fuzzel wrote:However, if you think this one is a challenge wait until you try Locks of Luck (and you'll need it)...

Hahahahahahaaaaaa! If you think I'm even going near LoL after this farrago, then I'm afraid that What's Eeyore's really has made you take leave of your senses! (Or is that "census"?) (Or "cents-es"?!) :x

Ahem. Anyway, let me try and calm down and say that, having typed in your walkthrough in BeebEm, all I can constructively contribute to your valiant/foolhardy attempt to completely solve this sweaty delirium of a game is to ask you a few pitiful, unhelpful questions, in the vain hope that one of them might spark an idea for you. So here goes nothing:

• Do you think the hammer might be of some use? You don't seem to do anything much with it in your walkthrough.

• Same goes for the manuscript — what actual use is it?

• Or are there some objects that are completely useless? If so, then great! That's all this game needs: red herrings! :evil:

• Have you tried removing the nail with the tongs?

• What's the significance (if any) of the word "rocks" in the description of the nail?

• Can you remove the rust somehow?

• What about the fire drill? Is it just a throwaway reference to the Fawlty Towers episode? Or does it have some other significance?

I don't know if any of my comments are valid or even vaguely relevant. I'm just clutching at straws here. I don't know where to begin with this lunatic's wet dream of a text adventure game!

Well done, though. (I think.)

=D> =D> =D>

Btw, I've corrected one or two extremely minor errors in the walkthrough. I've marked my additions with triple square brackets [[[like this]]]:

Code: Select all

What's Eeyores Walkthrough by fuzzel, with very minor corrections by lurkio
    Save game WHAT1
    Light up the Treasure Room
    IN, GET BULB, OUT, NE, PLANT BULB, TAKE SUNFLOWER
    Save game WHAT2
    SW, IN, IN, DROP SUNFLOWER, OUT, TAKE JEANS, TAKE GAME, OUT, DROP ALL
    Save game WHAT3
    Erase the drawings
    S, S, GET RUBBER, S, SW, W, S, ERASE DRAWINGS, U, GET ALL,  D, N, E, GET ALL, NE, N, N, N, DROP ALL
    Save game WHAT4
    Get coin, then taxman
    S, S, S, SW, NW, GET COIN, SE, NE, N, N, N, NE, E, IN, DROP COIN, GET TAXMAN, OUT, W, SW, DROP ALL
    SAVE game WHAT5
    Get pot, take to treasure room
    S, E, IN, GET POT, OUT, W, N, IN, IN, DROP POT, SCORE = 50
    SAVE game WHAT6
    Do Faulty's Hotel except Fifi
    OUT, OUT, S, S, E (there goes a Rat !)
    SAVE game WHAT7
    IN, EAT HORS
    SAVE game WHAT8
    S, TAKE SAND, N (candyman appears), NW, GET LAMP, SE, OUT, W, N, N, DROP ALL,  N, WEAR HAT, E
    SAVE game WHAT9
    WEAR CAPE
    SAVE game WHAT10
    W, S, S, S, E, IN, NW, TAKE HEN (COS I WEAR CAPE AND HAT)
    SAVE game WHAT11
    Now put battery hen in car bonnet
    SE, OUT, W, W, NW
    SAVE game WHAT12
    OPEN BONNET
    SAVE game WHAT13
    EXAM BONNET - this does not generate in changes
    SAVE game WHAT14
    ATTACH HEN TO ENGINE - the hen clucks with surprise and lays an egg
    SAVE game WHAT15
    Drop egg in treasure room: TAKE EGG, SE, E, N, N, IN, IN, DROP EGG, SCORE (now 100)
    SAVE GAME WHAT16
    Get label and attach it to the windscreen - this will allow you to drive the car
    OUT, OUT, EXAM BOTTLE, GET LABEL, S, S, W, NW, ENTER CAR, ATTACH LABEL TO WINDSCREEN
    SAVE GAME WHAT17
    Get the following objects to take to area 2 in the car: tax collector, cat, box, waders
    EXIT, SE, E, N, N, DROP HAT, DROP CAPE, EXAM GAME, WEAR WADERS
    SAVE GAME WHAT18
    TAKE TAX, N, TAKE BOX, S, TAKE SNAKE, NOW FIND THE CAT AND TAKE IT AND GO TO THE GARAGE
    S, S, W, NW, ENTER CAR, DRIVE SE, DRIVE NE, DROP TAX
    SAVE GAME WHAT19
    DRIVE N, EXAM STAND (pie appears), DRIVE NE, DRIVE N, EXIT CAR, THROW CAT (he is buried under a pile of bricks)
    SAVE GAME WHAT20
    N, DROP ADDER (kills arithmatics)
    SAVE GAME WHAT1 (what21)
    S, EXAM BRICKS, GET COPY
    SAVE GAME WHAT2 (what22)
    [[[ENTER CAR,]]] DRIVE S, TAKE BIRD, DRIVE W, EXIT, NW, N, TAKE CALF (kittiwake prevents you falling asleep). Cowpat appears
    SAVE GAME WHAT3 (what23)
    S, TAKE PULLET, SE, ENTER CAR, DRIVE E, DROP BOX
    SAVE GAME WHAT4 (what24)
    DRIVE SW, EXIT, W, TAKE CAN, IN, TAKE BEAR, OUT, E, DROP BEAR, DROP WADERS,
    [[[ENTER CAR,]]] DRIVE S, DRIVE SW, DRIVE NW
    SAVE GAME WHAT5 (what25)
    EXIT, SE, E, S (Sweeney falls asleep and disappears in a puff of smoke)
    SAVE GAME WHAT6 (what26)
    TAKE SCALPEL,  N, N, N, IN, [[[IN,]]] DROP PULLET, DROP SCALPEL, DROP PLAY (Score = 250)
    OUT, OUT, DROP ALL (can, bull, kittiwake)
    SAVE GAME WHAT7 (what27)
    Now to do Fifi and get the banana. Also get rid of all the fruit flies.
    S, S, S, IN, GET ALL (syringe, tongs), OUT, SW, W, NW, FILL SYRINGE WITH LIQUID
    SAVE GAME WHAT8 (what28)
    SE, E, NE, N, N, N, IN, IN, DROP TONGS (Score = 300)
    SAVE GAME WHAT9 (what29)
    OUT, OUT, NW, SPRAY FRUIT (applefly in eye)
    SAVE GAME WHAT10 (what30)
    W, SPRAY FRUIT
    SAVE GAME WHAT11 (what31)
    E, SE, NE, SPRAY FRUIT - for some reason no flags change here !!!!!!
    SAVE GAME WHAT12 (what32)
    E, SPRAY FRUIT
    SAVE GAME WHAT13 (what33)
    Now to get Fifi
    W, SW, DROP SYRINGE, S, [[[S,]]] E, IN, U, IN
    SAVE GAME WHAT14 (what34)
    Sleep
    SAVE GAME WHAT15 (what35)
    OUT, D, OUT, W, N, N, TAKE SAND, EXAM SAND
    SAVE GAME WHAT16 (what36)
    TAKE HAMMER, DROP HAMMER, DROP SANDWICH
    SAVE GAME WHAT17 (what37)
    NW, TAKE BREAD
    SAVE GAME WHAT18 (what38)
    W, GIVE BREAD
    SAVE GAME WHAT19 (what39)
    Now to do the soldier and the maid.
    E, NE, TAKE RAT, S, S, TAKE OTTER, S, S, [[[S,]]] SW, NW, IN (get message about 3 objects required)
    SAVE GAME WHAT20 (what40)
    GIVE RAT
    SAVE GAME WHAT1 (what41)
    GIVE DRUM
    SAVE GAME WHAT2 (what42)
    GIVE BANANA - You get a diamond ring
    SAVE GAME WHAT3 (what43)
    TAKE RING, TAKE BANANA, OUT, SE, NE, N, N, N, IN, [[[IN,]]] DROP RING (score = 350)
    SAVE GAME WHAT4 (what44)
    EAT BANANA - turns into a skin
    SAVE GAME WHAT5 (what45)
    OUT, OUT, RUB LAMP - rabbit appears
    SAVE GAME WHAT6 (what46)
    EXAM RABBIT - rabbits foot appears
    SAVE GAME WHAT7 (what47)

TAKE FOOT, IN, IN, DROP FOOT (score = 400)
    SAVE GAME WHAT8 (what48)
    Now to get up to the Giant's House and take all treasures back from part 2
    OUT, OUT, EXAM JEANS, TAKE DEWDROP, TAKE CAN, TAKE HAWSER, S, S, W, NW, ENTER CAR
    DRIVE SE, DRIVE NE, DRIVE N, TAKE PIE, DRIVE NE, DRIVE N, EXIT CAR, DROP CAN
    SAVE GAME WHAT9 (what49)
    N, THROW PIE (Gigantic walks off eating it)
    SAVE GAME WHAT10 (what50)
    NE, N (dewdrop protects you from flowers) - no change to flags here
    SAVE GAME WHAT11 (what51)
    DROP HAWSER, DROP SKIN, S, TAKE CORN, SW, S, U, N, SW, TAKE CORD, NE, TAKE COWPAT
    S, E, ENTER CAR, DRIVE S, DRIVE SW, DRIVE S, DRIVE SW, DRIVE NW, EXIT
    SE, E, N, N, IN, IN
    SAVE GAME WHAT12 (what52)
    DROP BANKNOTE (score = 450)
    SAVE GAME WHAT13 (what53)
    DROP COWPAT (score = 500)
    SAVE GAME WHAT14 (what54)
    DROP JOKE
    SAVE GAME WHAT15 (what55)
    Now to kill giant ! Need jack, alarm clock, needle, rope, dewdrop, banana skin
    OUT, OUT, S, S, E, IN, UP, GET CLOCK, D, OUT, W, W, NW, ENTER CAR, DRIVE SE, DRIVE NE, DRIVE N
    DRIVE NE, DRIVE N, EXIT, OPEN BOOT, EXAM BOOT
     SAVE GAME WHAT16 (what56)
    TAKE JACK
    SAVE GAME WHAT17 (what57)
    N, NE, N, TAKE HAWSER, TAKE SKIN,
    W, N, IN, DROP CLOCK, TAKE NEEDLE, OUT, ATTACH ROPE TO NEEDLE
    SAVE GAME WHAT18 (what58)
    W, IN, THROW NEEDLE (it flies up to the table providing an exit up)
    SAVE GAME WHAT19 (what59)
    U, U, OPEN BOOK WITH JACK
    SAVE GAME WHAT20 (what60)
    TAKE TAIL, D, D, OUT, S (get message that Giant is chasing you)
    SAVE GAME WHAT1 (what61)
    S, THROW SKIN
    SAVE GAME WHAT2 (what62)
    Now to take tin man to the river - this is the last part of the game I've done
    DROP DEWDROP, DROP JACK, SW, S, TAKE CAN, ENTER CAR, DRIVE S, TAKE BOX, DRIVE SW
    WEAR WADERS, TAKE BEAR, DRIVE NE, DRIVE W, EXIT, TAKE MANUS
    SAVE GAME WHAT3 (what63)
    NW - "You're going from bard to furze"
    SAVE GAME WHAT4 (what64)
    N, PUSH ROCK SW, DROP BOX (bank goes silent)
    SAVE GAME WHAT5 (what65)
    PUSH ROCK W (tin man is picked up and sticks to magnet)
    SAVE GAME WHAT6 (what66)
    E - You've got something in your waders
    SAVE GAME WHAT7 (what67)
    EXAM WADERS - no changes to flags here
    SAVE GAME WHAT8 (what68)
    TAKE INGOT
    SAVE GAME WHAT9 (what69)
    NE, S, EXAM PLANT (lone hydrangea and tomato)- no changes to flags here
    SAVE GAME WHAT10 (what70)
    SE, ENTER CAR, DRIVE E, DRIVE SW, DRIVE S, DRIVE SW, DRIVE NW, EXIT, SE, E, N, N, IN, IN, DROP INGOT
    (Score = 600)
    SAVE GAME WHAT11 (what71)

P.S. Re your comment about hacking the text out of the game:

fuzzel wrote:By the way, if you *load the game, run it and then break, ?&62, ?&63 and ?&64 seem to point to the locations, object descriptions and messages when you call&7a01. Try setting ?&62=254, ?&63=24,?&64=128 then call&7a01 to see what I mean
fuzzel wrote:Sorry, try call &7A07 - I can't read my own notes ! What I did was to press break when a location was being printed and noted ?&62, ?&63 and ?&64 to find where the location text was. Then did the same for the object descriptions and messages. I wrote a little bit of code:P%=&1100:[JSR&7A07:JMP&1100 which prints all the text (CNTRL-N first).

That doesn't seem to work!

Here's what happens when I run the game, wait for it to print the description of the first location, and then press BREAK and use your hack:

fuzzel hack.png
I get nothing but gibberish, every time!

Last edited by lurkio on Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:38 pm

Hi Lurkio, thanks for taking the time to work your way through my walkthrough. Hopefully, while the game's still fresh in your mind you will have that moment of inspiration which so far has eluded me (I'm sure you'll appreciate that after 12 months the thimbleful of inspiration I began with has long since run dry). In answer to your questions below:

Do you think the hammer might be of some use? You don't seem to do anything much with it in your walkthrough.*
I'm pretty certain that using the hammer to whack the tail onto Eeyore using the nail will be the final act in this game (and I hope, Eeyore, you miserable so and so, that it really hurts..)

Same goes for the manuscript — what actual use is it? I've never found a use for it.
I think there was possibly a use for it but this was taken out due to space limitations. From its location at the end of the motorway you can go in to a hidden room from which you can take a short cut back to the garage. This was possibly used by the writers in testing the game and never removed.

Or are there some objects that are completely useless? If so, then great! That's all this game needs: red herrings! :evil:
I never found a use for the bear. Possibly it's only contribution was as a pun (the cupboard's bear in Ma Hubbard's kitchen cupboard)

Have you tried removing the nail with the tongs?
Yes, it doesn't work - the tongs are a treasure - I don't think any of the treasures also have a practical use.

What's the significance (if any) of the word "rocks" in the description of the nail?
Not sure.

Can you remove the rust somehow?
I've tried, oh I've tried....

What about the fire drill? Is it just a throwaway reference to the Fawlty Towers episode? Or does it have some other significance?
I thought the fire drill was just a reference to Fawlty Towers, but, and the game is getting to me again, perhaps you can use the drill to remove the nail from the tin man (gibber, gibber..)

Well, I'm off for another lie down. Can someone else pick up the baton for a day or two ?

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:44 pm

fuzzel wrote:Hi Lurkio

Hi! I think we just crossed posts! See my update to my previous post, just before your last one, above.

How come your hack doesn't seem to work for me?

:idea:

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:50 pm

Try continuously calling it (write a little subroutine). After a while you start getting the text.
It was a good few months back when I was playing around with the code for some clues (that's where I got the location numbers from on the map).
As I recall I had to load each part of the game into memory before the call&7a01, so the code wasn't wiped on break.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:51 pm

fuzzel wrote:As I recall I had to load each part of the game into memory before the call&7a01, so the code wasn't wiped on break.

Can you break that down, step by step, please? What are the filenames of the files I have to load? What are the load addresses?

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:54 pm

Try call&7a01

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:20 pm

Try: ?&63=42:?&64=64:?&62=171
P%=&1100:[JSR&7A07:JMP&1100:]
CALL&1100

This should display the messages

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:08 pm

fuzzel wrote:...This should display the messages

Thanks but which files do I have to *LOAD in? What are the load addresses?

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:26 pm

*L. WEY-1 74E0
*L. WEY-2 5D00
*L. WEY-3 1900
*L. WEY-4 400
CALL & 74E0
You can then break.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:30 pm

fuzzel wrote:...You can then break.

Thanks. I'll try it.

Have you tried the command *HELP in the game?

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:35 pm

Lurkio, I've just emailed you two savestate files, one for locations, one for messages.

I'm not sure what tweaks I'd made to memory prior to saving state but I most have done something to ungarble the messages.

As I recall there was a message somewhere about the nail popping out but that didn't really help.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:16 pm

fuzzel wrote:Lurkio, I've just emailed you two savestate files, one for locations, one for messages.

Thanks.

Here's a review of What's Eeyore's and Locks Of Luck from A&B Computing magazine (emphasis mine):

In A&B Computing magazine 4.01, Jane and Jonathan Evans wrote:Full marks to Magus, authors of the interesting Village Of Lost Souls for the Beeb. They have sent in their two new offerings, What's Eeyore's and Locks Of Luck, on one special reviewer's disc accompanied by full clue sheets. These games are completely different in style from Village and form part of their new Nursery Crhyme series, intended "as light relief for seasoned adventurers".

If you enjoyed Level 9's Return To Eden, where an object could transform itself with the aid of an excruciating pun into something entirely different, you'll love What's Eeyore's. Magus has turned Mother Goose inside out in search of double meanings, and spread their net further afield to drag in, among other things, Fawlty Towers and higher mathematics. For instance, a fast food stand turns out to be "Ma Hubbard's free food, binomials here". And of course you discover a crusty meat pie with, guess what, 22/7 cut into it.

If that's your kind of humour, then this adventure will probably give you a lot of fun, but unless you have the tortuous mind of the Magus you'll certainly need the hint sheet. There's a SAVE facility, which we failed to discover for a while because you need to type *SAVE, but it's not as vital as in most adventures because you never get killed. If you're wondering about the title - the object of the game is to find Eeyore's lost tail and fix it back on. And the answer to "What's Eeyore's?" Yes, you guessed it, it's "Thanks, I'll have a pint!"

Having praised Magus for sending clue sheets, we must now admit that even with the totally unbridled and unscrupulous use of the one provided for Locks Of Luck, we were unable to get halfway through this game! The problem was either that there were no clues for some sticking point or else that there were clues but with pretty unhelpful answers.

The game itself has the rather silly theme of requiring the player to identify and retrieve a king's missing lock of hair. It has a rather more orthodox and grown-up feel to it than What's Eeyore's, however, and seems rather bigger - judging from the number of clues to things we never reached! However, it has a number of features in common with the other game, including awful puns, treasure collection and needing means of transport for moving through parts of the game. Like Village Of The Lost Souls, a source of difficulty is the very large number of objects that can be found and carried around and whose function is generally far from obvious.

The new Magus games are unfortunately marred by having a number of quite arbitrary puzzles which we were only able to solve by use of the hint sheets and to which there seemed to be no basis on which we could have reasoned out the answers. This brings us to a theme discussed in earlier articles - the dubious practice of making a game last by the use of obscure puzzles. Personally, we get very frustrated by games that we cannot make progress with. An ideal game allows frequent problem-solving and lasts a long time! Of course, the normal memory constraints of the Beeb make this ideal tricky to achieve. The best solution that we have seen so far is that offered by Robico's Enthar Seven which combines Robico's usual fair and logical puzzles with the huge dimensions permitted by a combination of disc access and text compression.

(I really wish we had those cluesheets!)

And here's some cover(?) artwork for the game from acornelectron.co.uk:

:idea:
Last edited by lurkio on Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “adventures”