Infocom adventures

discuss text & graphic adventures for Acorns. level 9, robico & epic led this field
fuzzel

Infocom adventures

Postby fuzzel » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:26 pm

Did anybody every attempt to port a version of one of the Infocom games to the bbc ?
Zork would have been brilliant, there weren't a huge number of locations so I suppose it would have been possible to squeeze it in.

sweh

Re: Infocom adventures

Postby sweh » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:31 pm

Rgds
Stephen

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:52 pm

Yeah, it sounds like the standard 32k beeb doesn't have enough memory to accommodate the interpreter / finished program.
The better option would be to reverse-engineer the game and maybe reduce the game text if I run out of memory. I think I'll start work on a BBC basic version and develop my own adventure system in the process.
Would it be worth me uploading a work in progress for feedback at some future date?

hoglet

Postby hoglet » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:36 pm

fuzzel wrote:Did anybody every attempt to port a version of one of the Infocom games to the bbc ?
Zork would have been brilliant, there weren't a huge number of locations so I suppose it would have been possible to squeeze it in.

It's possible to run them under CP/M with a Z80 Co Processor.

Here's Zork 2 and 3:
http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewto ... 62#p107162

And here's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Planetfall:
http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewto ... 32#p100432

Dave

sweh

Postby sweh » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:37 pm

fuzzel wrote:The better option would be to reverse-engineer the game and maybe reduce the game text if I run out of memory.

Or perhaps do a "paging" solution where subsets of the data are loaded from disk as needed. SSDs would make it pretty quick, and even real floppies would likely be fast enough.
Rgds
Stephen

poink

Postby poink » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:23 pm

sweh wrote:Or perhaps do a "paging" solution where subsets of the data are loaded from disk as needed. SSDs would make it pretty quick, and even real floppies would likely be fast enough.

Yes, should be pretty practical considering that you've already got the z-machine as an abstraction layer. Also, there's just targetting Beebs with sideways RAM: if you can fit it into the Z80 second processor, it should definitely fit it into the Master series machines.

hexwab

Postby hexwab » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:04 pm

Yes. https://github.com/hexwab/zeugma .

It's pretty lacking still. No split screen, no word wrap, no saving, no undo, no restart.
(This explains the included game, which doesn't require any of these...)
Somehow I haven't quite got round to implementing all the features that would turn this into a usable environment. Not to mention optimization. Then there's fun things like proportional fonts...

Still, it does work, even on a model B. And the fact that someone is interested might revive my interest.

Return to “adventures”