Adventure International "Return to Pirate's Isle" PLUS Mystery Fun House and Pyramid of Doom

discuss text & graphic adventures for Acorns. level 9, robico & epic led this field
leenew

Adventure International "Return to Pirate's Isle" PLUS Mystery Fun House and Pyramid of Doom

Postby leenew » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:48 am

Hi,
Just daydreaming...

Well I am checking a lot of files for the new website actually... hard work :D
Anyway, checking the Adventure International adventure games, I find that we have adventures 1 to 13, plus adventure 15.
No adventure 14....
Well, it turns out that adventure 14 "Return to Pirate's Isle" was only released on cartridge for the Ti 99/4a range of computers. (Sort of a well known fact to all us hardcore adventurers)..

My daydream was that someone could suck the text from this version and plop it into a beeb interpreted version.
** All of the Adventure International adventures played on the beeb are played via an interpreter. There are 2 versions, and depending on who released the game, depends on which interpreter you got!!
The one written by Brian Howarth looks better visually than the one written by Mak Jukic to my eyes.

So, is anyone up to the challenge of bringing adventure 14 to the beeb for the first time....

Games can be found here in INFORM format and DAT http://ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?id=rp9eibu02f9vp2sv

Lee.

As an aside, we have Mak Jukic versions of Adventures 7 and 8 in the archive.
There is a Brian Howarth version of Adventure 8 on the STH disc AS1, but I can't find a Howarth version of Adventure 7 (Mystery Fun House).
Could anyone who has an original tape of MFH please load it and see which version they have :D

Lee.
Last edited by leenew on Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

richardtoohey

Re: Adventure International "Return to Pirate's Isle"

Postby richardtoohey » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:03 am

So, in theory, if "we" work out how Pirate Adventure:

http://bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=1629

... works, then "we" could hopefully use the files from the site you linked to?

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:32 am

Having had a look at Pyramids of Doom (just because that's another title that mentions Development System: Inform 6) - looks like the game is all in one big blob of code and data:

Four files, !BOOT that chains DOOM (BASIC) that chains LOADER (BASIC) that *LOADs GAME and ends with call 8192.

$.GAME L 002000 002000 004800 007

So might not be as simple as dropping GAME.DAT (or whatever) on a disc with an interpreter. (If it was that simple would have presumably been done BITD?)

leenew

Postby leenew » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:30 pm

Hmmm... I was hoping it was gonna be a quick cut and paste job :(
Maybe the inform files are not the best place to start?
Having said that, I don't know what is :D
I think all the game files (written by Scott Adams on the TI99) follow the same format, and could be dropped into Brian Howarth's beebterpreter. This gives me hope that Pirates Isle can somehow be dropped in... :-k

Lee

leenew

Postby leenew » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:16 pm

Well,
The source code to Scott Adams' interpreter was published in this magazine: https://archive.org/details/softside-magazine-22
So with the other tools available online http://www.ifarchive.org/indexes/if-arc ... tools.html
Surely now it's child's play :D

Lee.

leenew

Postby leenew » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:28 pm

I will repeat this as I think it is a bit lost in the melee of replies :D

I am looking for a cassette of MYSTERY FUN HOUSE - Adventure 7
If you have an original could you load it up, or send it to one of us please.
The one in the archive (STH, PERNOD, and Mick Brown) is one using the Mak Jukic interpreter (it says so on the title page).

I am looking for one which states it is by Brian Howarth on the title page 8)

Thanks for looking under the bed and in the loft etc.

Lee.

While you are there - under the bed - If you have an original PYRAMID OF DOOM - let me know too please...

EDIT - The Jukic version of Pyramid just does not work - even from the UEF at STH! just full of bugs :roll:

2nd EDIT - Centre for computing history have both tapes, but which version? - Anyone popping down soon?

richardtoohey

Postby richardtoohey » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:32 pm

leenew wrote:Surely now it's child's play :D
I'm getting trampled by all the volunteers! Form a queue! :twisted:

leenew

Postby leenew » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:07 am

Err... Hi Richard...
If you ask nice, I can get you from the back of the queue to the front...
Just mind all those tumbleweeds on the way :lol:

Lee.

tautology

Re: Adventure International "Return to Pirate's Isle" PLUS Mystery Fun House and Pyramid of Doom

Postby tautology » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:18 pm

I ported it using my retrosoftware engine, it can be found at casa: http://solutionarchive.com/phpBB3/viewt ... ?f=3&t=839

EtchedPixels

Re: Adventure International "Return to Pirate's Isle" PLUS Mystery Fun House and Pyramid of Doom

Postby EtchedPixels » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:51 pm

Almost all the AI UK games use the same two interpreters, or near enough identical versions. The text compression changes over time which complicates matters a shade when extracting databases and the graphics is complicated if you want that bit.

Some of the games have two versions because Scott Adams created a new Saga+ game system that wasn't ported and instead games were re-coded across. Scott also many years later wrote Return To Pirate Island 2 which is completely different systemwise.

From Adventureland to Return to Pirate and also Buckaroo Banzai the Scott Adams system was used, with an interpreter by Brian Howarth. This was also used for some of the other AI UK games like Hulk, Supergran, Gremlins, Robin of Sherwood. Seas of Blood uses a modified version with some fighting fantasy bits in it.

Later games used a new interpreter that was Quill-ish but could handle more including the ability to swap between two characters. That interpreter changed a few times over the games but was also used on the BBC (eg Kayleth) although not all games were released for the BBC micro (Blizzard Pass wouldn't fit etc).

There's at least one "lost game" too - Demons of the Deep was completed to the point of being a finished and very playable text adventure of the FF book but never released.

I've done interpreters for both the old and new game systems in C, and the old game system can actually generate 6800 versions of the game too, so 6502 wouldn't be too tricky.

It should also be possible to play all the ZX Spectrum Quill games on a BBC micro with tube or to a reasonable extent with floppy drive (although you'll need to do some paging to/from the floppy disk) - at least I can do that successfully with Fuzix on other platforms with 32K of usable program RAM. That'll give you hundreds of games to play. Nobody afaik has done a small tight replacement interpreter for PAWS which is the other common small system that was used.

leenew

Postby leenew » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:12 am

Hi EtchedPixels,
It sounds as if you worked for A.I.UK at some point. That's interesting!
In the beeb games archive that we are working on, we are missing "Brian Howarth" interpreter versions of "Mystery Funhouse" and "Pyramid of Doom" (and maybe a couple of the later games that Brian may or may not have helped with).
To my eyes, Brian's interpreter is more accurate than Mak Jukic's, and is presented better too.
Could you help, with a list of games that Brian *definitely* did beeb versions for?
And, even better, you don't happen to have beeb versions of the missing ones do you?
We also have a Jukic version of HULK but no Howarth version.
How sure are you that Seas of blood was released on the beeb?
I am also interested to know which titles may have been sprinkled with anti-piracy dust: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12118#p153890

Sorry for the barrage of questions!

Thanks,
Lee.

EtchedPixels

Postby EtchedPixels » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:53 am

I did indeed work for AI UK for a while.

On the questions
- I don't have a definitive list of BBC games (I was on the Z80 side and as the BBC was text only and 6502 it would have been handled by Brian not in the actual AI UK office. Office is perhaps glorifying it a bit - it was an old industrial unit mostly full of tape duplicators with a couple of rooms one end and a space at the far end of the tape copiers that had a few computers. Once high speed duplicating machines took over it moved to Mike Woodroffe's house.

- It's certainly possible Seas of Blood never made the BBC micro, but you'd want to ask Mike. I never saw it running on a BBC but that doesn't prove anything much.

AFAIK we didn't use any anti-piracy stuff at Adventure International until the 16/32bit days. (I had a memorable afternoon at AI UK where someone was trying to sell us an anti-piracy solution and while the boss was in a meeting with its purveyor we cracked the Atari ST example floppy he handed us and handed them a copy).

AI UK became AdventureSoft, did things as Horrorsoft and went on to produce things like Simon the Sorceror which made it to RiscOS.

Mike is still around although I think mostly retired. You could drop an email to sales@adventuresoft.com and see if he can remember.

Alan

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:20 pm

Thanks for the interesting history, Alan!

EtchedPixels wrote:Mike is still around although I think mostly retired. You could drop an email ... and see if he can remember.

I emailed Mike on behalf of Lee and myself, but haven't had a reply yet.

:?:

leenew

Postby leenew » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:51 pm

Let's have another go at this...
Does anyone have a copy of "Mystery Funhouse" or "Questprobe1 - Hulk" that look like this:
voodoo.jpg

Note the MAGENTA dotted line under the description.

And NOT like this...

funhouse.jpg

Note the white dotted line....

So, It is Mystery Funhouse and Questprobe 1 - Hulk with Magenta dotted lines on screen. 8)

Thanks,

Lee.

tautology

Postby tautology » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:26 pm

I didn't realise Mr Cox was on here. I ought to ask you a bit more about the Adventuresoft UK days, as trying to revisit what is what 20/30 years after the fact was/is quite hard. It looks like I may need to raid your code about the SAGA+ stuff I could never work out.

In terms of the engines: the Beeb used two main ones, as EtchedPixels said, the Mak Jukic engine and the Brian Howarth one. IIRC the Jukic one is quite close to the original Scott Adams one, whereas the Howarth one makes some tuning. There are Electron versions of each engine, which basically don't use Mode 7.

I wrote a third engine from scratch about 6 - 7 years ago (including graphics, for Master only), for which I wrote a development diary at retrosoftware http://www.retrosoftware.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=SAGADiary. The source code can be found on my github https://github.com/tautology0/sagarework.

leenew

Postby leenew » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:19 am

Hi Tautology,
You don't happen to have "Mystery Fun House" or "Questprobe Hulk" that uses the Brian Howarth engine do you?
If you see here: http://bbcmicro.co.uk/index.php?rt_R=on ... on&on_Z=on

It is the 2 games that do not have a Magenta divinding line between the top and bottom of the screens.
The 2 we have are Jukic engine versions.

Lee.

tautology

Postby tautology » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:34 pm

I had mystery fun house, but gave all my original tapes to Arcadian. I may have an electronic version on my home computer which I can't check 'til Monday.

leenew

Postby leenew » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:15 am

Thank you for looking. Fingers crossed..
Lee.

tautology

Postby tautology » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:21 pm

Had a look through my hard disc archive, and no such luck I'm afraid... We'll have to contact Arcadian to see which edition it is.

leenew

Postby leenew » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:50 pm

Thanks for looking :cry:
I wonder if all the adventures were released in Jukic version and Howarth version?
If so... why!
What are the odds of you perfecting that engine of yours?
**I would quite like an SSD of Return to pirate isle that mimics the Howarth engine in presentation :D
Is it definitely completeable as it Is?

Lee.

Return to “adventures”