The Darkness of Raven Wood

discuss text & graphic adventures for Acorns. level 9, robico & epic led this field
John_Acorn

Re: The Darkness of Raven Wood

Postby John_Acorn » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:27 pm

Dethmunk, how much memory did you have for the main program after screen memory and location text is loaded in?

Dethmunk

Postby Dethmunk » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:35 pm

John_Acorn wrote:Dethmunk, how much memory did you have for the main program after screen memory and location text is loaded in?

It's in Mode 5 and to be honest once everything is loaded up it pretty much takes up nearly all the ram that is left roughly 22k I believe. Although someone like Lurkio or others who've worked on its optimization and compatibility would be able to give a more accurate number. I know when I was programming it in basic I was getting 'No Room' error towards the end and had to delete or shorten text or syntax to make it fit. :)

radiorama

Postby radiorama » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:24 am

Arcadian wrote:FYI I heard back from Mark, he wasn't able to shed any light on the quirks but suggested I ask resident ADFS guru, JGH ... who is now on the case! Fingers crossed Jonathan can get to the bottom of it!

Is anyone still working on this game's quirks with ADFS? Any news from Jonathan?

Best,
Carlo.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:55 pm

Carlo found some bugs in the game code, which I've now fixed:

:idea:

Michael Brown

Postby Michael Brown » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:38 am

Hi,

What were the bugs?

Mick.

lurkio

Postby lurkio » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:44 am

Michael Brown wrote:Hi, What were the bugs?

See below, but the latest version of the .SSD, which I attached to my previous post in this thread, also contains fixes to the chardefs, and maybe some other minor changes too (e.g. ordering of files on disc).

lurkio wrote:
radiorama wrote:I had found two bugs in Chapter 2, so I took a look at the code and went to the root of them. ... 1) I can "use handle" even outside of the water tank room. This bug is threefold, and it's all on line 1038 of RW2. The statement IFn$="HAND"ORn$="VALV"AND... is missing a pair of parentheses around n$="HAND"ORn$="VALV".

Fixed.

radiorama wrote:In the same line there's another bug with the value of V%(4) (plant status): looking everywhere else in the program, V%(4) assumes values 0 (live plant) or 2 (handle inserted, dying plant), while line 1038 checks for a value of 1 that will never be true.

I assume it should be checking for a value of 0 (rather than 1). Fixed.

radiorama wrote:The third bug on line 1038 is the lack of a check that the player actually has a valve handle in his inventory.

Fixed.

radiorama wrote:2) I can cut my hand even before visiting the dagger room. Line 141 of RW2 checks for verb "CUT" and noun "HAND" or "PALM", but doesn't look for a dagger in the player's inventory.

Fixed.

radiorama wrote:I will also mention that Alex Dijkstra reports a couple of bugs in his RW walkthrough on C.A.S.A.: http://solutionarchive.com/file/id%2C13730/ but I couldn't reproduce them. A brief look at the code seems to confirm that the bugs aren't there.

The bugs in question were fixed some time ago.

radiorama wrote:Maybe he played an earlier version of the game.

Yes, he did.

:idea:

radiorama

Postby radiorama » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:07 pm

Is anyone keeping track of all the minor modifications? The version posted by Lurkio today doesn't include my ADFS mods.

We should really set up a SVN or Git system for the Beeb :lol:

Carlo.

Return to “adventures”