Retro Gamer Adventure Reviews

discuss text & graphic adventures for Acorns. level 9, robico & epic led this field
fuzzel

Retro Gamer Adventure Reviews

Postby fuzzel » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:49 pm

I've just read an article in the latest edition of Retro Gamer (173) about Shaun Abbott and how he had his design for an adventure game
accepted by Level 9 and released as Emerald Isle. It's a decent four page article on Shaun and his game, though unfortunately Shaun's memory
of the details of the whole experience has faded somewhat with time. He did mention though that he'd submitted another game proposal later on which he still has all the details for. Anyone care to contact him with a proposal to turn it into a game (as a Level 9 author it would almost count as an unreleased game..) ?

lurkio

Re: Retro Gamer Adventure Reviews

Postby lurkio » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:52 pm

Just read the article in Retro Gamer magazine (issue number 173).

Yes, the possibility of the existence of the design for an unreleased game is intriguing, but so too is the question of the exact form in which Shaun Abbott submitted his first game Emerald Isle to the Austin brothers at Level 9, which is a question that the article doesn't fully answer.

Was the game already written in the fabled A-code (the Austins' custom portable programming-language for text adventures)?

Or was Shaun's original version of the game written in BASIC or machine-code?

Or did Shaun just hand them a design which they had to implement in A-code themselves? This last option would mean quite a lot of work for the Austins -- not to mention their graphic artist, who sounds like he had quite a tricky task squeezing dozens of location pictures into a few kilobytes!

:?:

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:43 pm

The latest Retro Gamer magazine (175) has a Minority Report on lesser known but recommended BBC games.
A couple of adventures are featured, neither of which I've ever played.
Pirate (Chalksoft) looks alright but The Alien From Outer Space (Incentive) is definitely now on my to-play list (decent looking graphics).
Of the arcade games mentioned, I loved Supergolf by Squirrel Soft and I think I'll have a go of the Mario-esque Drain Mania.

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:27 am

An unexpected bonus is that "The Alien from Outer Space" doesn't have a solution on CASA so I'm jumping onto that game today.

fuzzel

Postby fuzzel » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:54 pm

Am I right in thinking The Alien from Outer Space was written using Graphic Adventure Creator (GAC) ?
This is a really good game but I've been bogged down by the parser. Looks like I'm following in the illustrious footsteps of the Mad Hatter who
had the same problem as I had removing objects from cupboards, boxes etc (see Micro User April 88 column). You have to
GET <object1> FROM <object2>. Took me a while to figure that one out and then read the Micro User issue a couple of hours later !

tautology

Postby tautology » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:38 pm

It's definitely Graphic Adventure Creator; my GAC dumper tool (https://github.com/tautology0/grackle) makes a semi-decent attempt to decompile it but it isn't perfect as it won't play.

Return to “adventures”